• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wedge mouthpiece review

View previous topic :: View next topic  
digs
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Wedge mouthpiece review Reply with quote

I just got a 64S top from Dave Harrison today. I tried one of Dave’s prototype pieces way back when he was getting started. It wasn’t for me back then.

My playing has changed a lot since then. I bought this one because I thought it might help my development.

Anyway, my initial impression is very positive. The lateral dip is much more subdued than the prototype years ago. I had no problem playing it from the very first note.

I’ll offer more details in a few days. For now I’ll share this much. I’ve been playing a Curry 40M primarily, and Dave’s 40 diameter feels no different. And his S cup seems to be a touch deeper than the Curry 40M. I’ll check that more closely.

More later...
bworth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lost 75 pounds over the last 8 months and I think it has affected my embouchure. I have ordered a 65mv top from Dave, but haven't received it yet. Hopeful that it will help.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my 65MD Wedge. The biggest thing it did for me was increase my endurance in a major way: a significant plus for an 83 year old player like me who was struggling with other mouthpieces. The best I could do using a Bach 5C and 3C was an iffy hour, but the Wedge allows me to push my playing to 2 hours.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
digs
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to be impressed with this piece. It feels great, is responsive, and sounds good. I thought that maybe the lateral dip and slightly oval shape might lead to leaking at the corners, but it has actually been less prone to leaking than my conventional piece. I feel like my endurance is up as well.

I’ll update again in a few days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: