• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trumpet Repair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lukeypoo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Trumpet Repair Reply with quote

I have my old crappy student horn that I wanted to get back into a playable state, and while it’s pretty ugly, it’s getting better. The only problem is that the tuning slide is completely stuck on both ends. I don’t have the time to get to a repair shop any time soon, and I lack the equipment to unsolder anything myself.
Any advice would be appreciated.
(Model is a YTR-2330 Yamaha, if you wanna know)
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: trumpet repair Reply with quote

Hello,
If you have not already tried penetrating oil on the slides do that and then lightly tap with a wooden mallet, at the same time pulling. Sometimes a little heat from a small torch helps the oil. May take a helper. I have heard of some who put the body in a freezer, but I don't think that really helps. But is might contract the metal just enough. If it is stuck a half inch out, just play. Repair guys have a tool that is plier like, but is really thin, that gets in the crack of the slide and ferrule.It usually leaves a slight mark though. Unsodering is the last resort.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It goes without saying, that we attempt home repairs at our own risk.

When I have a stuck slide, I'll loop a towel around the slide, and have someone hold the horn while I pull on the towel. I pull straight (not an an angle), and I don't pull too hard, to avoid damaging the horn. If that doesn't work, I bring it to a tech.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:

When I have a stuck slide, I'll loop a towel around the slide, and have someone hold the horn while I pull on the towel. I pull straight (not an an angle), and I don't pull too hard, to avoid damaging the horn. If that doesn't work, I bring it to a tech.

Mike

I use a similar procedure. I've had a disaster only once (essentially pulling the horn apart). Every other time (and there's been many times) it's worked fine. Actually, I use nylon rope looped through the slide and tied around the leg of a pool table on the other end. The pool table isn't going to move. I hope the slide does.

I know it's crazy but I'm impatient and it has been successful every time except one. I admit, however, that the one failure was a BIG failure so you need to proceed with the understanding that there are no guarantees.

Good luck!!
lukeypoo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
TrumpetMD wrote:

Mike

I use a similar procedure. I've had a disaster only once (essentially pulling the horn apart). Every other time (and there's been many times) it's worked fine. Actually, I use nylon rope looped through the slide and tied around the leg of a pool table on the other end. The pool table isn't going to move. I hope the slide does.

I know it's crazy but I'm impatient and it has been successful every time except one. I admit, however, that the one failure was a BIG failure so you need to proceed with the understanding that there are no guarantees.

Good luck!!

This seems more my speed, but if you don’t mind, what happened in that one disaster? I want to try to take some precautions, because a broken horn is much worse than a grimy one.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try penetrating oil or something like BreakFree (check the auto parts aisle of Wal-Mart or an similar, or an auto parts store). Apply and let sit overnight, pull gently, repeat.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only do repair work on my own project horns, plus helping a youth music organisation with running repairs on their hire instruments, so please don't take my advice as gospel. FWIW though:

+1 for penetrating oil, doing you best to pull in line with the slide, and attaching the cord to something that won't move. (There isn't necessarily anything wrong with getting someone to hold it but it gives you less control over how much force and energy you're applying.)

If you're sensible, the potential damage will hopefully be limited to pulling the crook off the slide. This is relatively quick for a repairer to put right, and if the horn arrives like this it does at least put them in a good position to extract seriously stuck tubes. There's certainly the possibility of denting or distorting the crook but this is unlikely if you use common sense when choosing what to loop round the crook. I've used nylon rope on quite a few horns and never had a problem but if you can get the job done with something properly flexible, even better. I've sometimes used a rolled up strip of an old bedsheet but never thought of a towel. That sounds about as low risk as you'll get using household items.

The bigger risk is distorting part(s) of the horn beyond the crook, or breaking soldered joints other than those that hold the crook to the slide tubes. You'll want to take a lot of care to hold the horn so that you're applying the maximum force along the slide's outer tubes while minimising any forces that will tend to move those tubes in relation to the rest of the horn. It would take me a while to describe my preferred grip and I'm not certain there isn't a better one anyway. Hopefully someone with proper credentials will chime in but if not, I can post a photo.

Mike
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO BANGING OF MALLETS ON SLIDES!!! I'm repairing one right now for someone who bent the daylights of the slide with one hit a little too hard. If penetrating oil and hand pulling does not work then sometimes a gentle twisting motion while pulling will do the trick. If not then it does need to be sent to a pro to avoid further damage.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lukeypoo wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:
TrumpetMD wrote:

Mike

Good luck!!

This seems more my speed, but if you don’t mind, what happened in that one disaster? I want to try to take some precautions, because a broken horn is much worse than a grimy one.

Instead of the tuning slide moving the lead pipe tore loose from the brace attaching it to the valve cluster and came off the horn along with the mouthpiece receiver and bell braces (the tuning slide was still stuck in the top tuning slide receiver). It was a serious "oops" moment. The pool table survived the incident without trauma, however. My tech ultimately put everything back together. I did receive a lecture.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
My tech ultimately put everything back together. I did receive a lecture.

Thanks for sharing. Glad the horn survived.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if the OP is still following but FWIW I've re-read my post above and noticed an issue. My suggestion that with care the likely damage will be limited to pulling the crook off are more applicable to valve slides. Owing to the width of a tuning slide crook, there's a risk of badly bending it if only one end breaks away from its tube. This has never happened to me, and I've never seen a horn where it had happened, but it seems like a real possibility. I'd be interested to hear any other thoughts/experiences on this.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: