• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Value of a Vincent Bach trumpet

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicko620

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Value of a Vincent Bach trumpet Reply with quote

Hi guys, for quite some time I've had a Bach Stradivarius trumpet which I no longer need and I am looking to sell. Can someone please give me some information about the value of this horn:

Vincent Bach Stradivarius model 37,serial ML269464

I looked all over the Internet but couldn't find info about this particular model. Any info would be much appreciated.[/img]
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bunch of used examples at retail prices here:

https://www.dillonmusic.com/brass/trumpets/bb-trumpets/?mode=grid&limit=24&sort=popular&max=5000&min=0&sort=popular&brand=391822

(scroll through the multiple pages)

Private sale prices will be less, but these examples might give you a place to start.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One down, four to go.

P.S. You could have checked the completed listings on Ebay.
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a $50 bill for you but of course
you will have to foot the bill for shipping

i have been away for a while but i am back ready to splurge
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Value Reply with quote

Hello,
Welcome to the TH. I hope you are interested in this site for more than just selling a horn..hence the 5 post limit. If you just want to sell, you would be better off using your local craigslist, schools or boards. Not seeing the horn,maybe $1200-1400 if silver plate and no rot/damage. $1000-1200ish if lacquer. It would have to be cleaner than a whistle to get any type of top dollar, as replacement of leadpipe and or tuning slide due to rot is $500+.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have probably the most vanilla, common professional trumpet in the US (maybe the world) in the most common configuration. If you sell it, you want to use keywords like "Bach Strad," Bach Stradivarius, and model 37 or 18037. They are all the same horn. I didn't look up the serial number, but if you do you can probably date it 1970s, 1980s, etc. It's a good trumpet and should be sellable on your local market.

People get annoyed here if people show up and start 5 one-sentence posts before going to the market. If you want, you can just post four more comments or questions here, share how you got it, when you played it, ask about the mouthpiece or case, etc.

Maybe you'll decide it would be nice to have more trumpet in your life again.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Produced between 1985 - 1990

https://www.bachbrass.com/resources/serial-numbers
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
i got a $50 bill for you but of course
you will have to foot the bill for shipping

i have been away for a while but i am back ready to splurge

He’s baaaaackkk!😉😉

Brad
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that particular model is extremely difficult to find information on.🙄 Nice try.

Come on man, there are probably 5 of them on your local Craigslist.

Brad
Vicko620

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your replies, guys.

Ok so posting in this forum is certainly not the first thing I did to try to find info about the trumpet, I searched the net, tried local forums and websites, looked at sites like ebay or reverb but I couldn't really find the exact same trumpet and thus I'm posting here. I'm from Bulgaria so craigslist is not a really a thing here and the local websites aren't really helpful.

As for why I'm selling it, I switched to saxophone a some years ago and I haven't used that trumpet in a pretty long time. I got it from the school band as a gift when I was a student and I've had it since then. No point to let it rust in the case considering I've already forgot for the most part.

About its condition, it plays perfectly, it has a great sound but it is rusty as well. I guess this affects the price, not sure how much though. You can find some pics of the horn below:

https://ibb.co/gTtHfJJ
https://ibb.co/FXbW9pt
https://ibb.co/4T6RXwb
https://ibb.co/FmyhLT2
https://ibb.co/j3sp7rH
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Bach Loyalist website. Everything you want to know about Bach trumpets.

As to what it is worth, after looking at your pictures I advise taking homebilly up in his $50 offer. Your horn is pretty beat up.
Gabrieli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP

I feel that our american colleagues are not being very nice or helpful to you.
Yes, there are a couple of dents and it is not completely clear to me fom the photos, whether the bell is creased or not.
You should have these things fixed by a competent repairer before selling.
Even in Germany it would cost only ca. 50 Euros to fix I think.
To say your horn is "pretty beat up" is simply not true.
However the laquer is obviously very bad and after having the dents taken out I would strip the laquer myself and sell it as in raw brass, which is popular among some players these days. whether you polish the brass before selling is up to you.
Within Europe selling on Vioworld.de might be a good idea. No fees or customs for anybody involved. If the valves are ok - reasonable compression - I would try ca.1000 Euros. I hope this is more helpful to you in Bulgaria.
Vicko620

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Gabrieli, this is quite helpful indeed. I live in an area where it's not gonna be that easy to find a competent repairer so I think it would be better to try to sell it as it is. The valves are in perfect condition so except for the external remarks such as the laquer and the dent the horn is in perfect technical condition. I appreciate the help.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabrieli wrote:
To the OP

Really?

A Bach 37 is probably one of the most common pro trumpets there is. Possibly not in Europe, but an internet search certainly will result in a plethora of information.

I believe what annoys some people here is the implication that the OP is simply looking for information on his horn, when in reality it’s just a veiled attempt to sell it here without adhering to the forum marketplace rules.

Brad
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think he was trying to sell it here--I think he was genuinely trying to figure out what it is (although from a first post it can be hard to tell). I think even Bach Strads in horrible condition can go for $500, $700. This one it's still hard to say--is that just lacquer wear or is there rot, how are the valves, is everything stuck, etc.? It may be you could de-dent it and clean it up and it would go for $1000 or $1200, but probably only someone who sees it in person can really tell.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the photos, it appears that the silver plating is largely missing. It is not 'rust' , the top layer of very thin silver is gone, and the underlying brass metal is showing. That is a serious 'cosmetic flaw' that lowers the value. A bigger concern is whether the strength / integrity of the overall brass construction has been affected. One way to inspect is to thoroughly clean the inside of the leadpipe (with the tuning slide removed), and do visual inspection for metal flaking or rough spots.

A 'general practice' for photos of horn being sold is to remove ALL of the valve slides and pistons to show the entire disassembled horn in 1 photo - that is done to demonstrate that nothing is stuck and to show the condition of those parts. If the valve slides are stuck, attempts to remove them might cause damage if not done carefully.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaveTrumpetWillTravel wrote:
I didn't think he was trying to sell it here--I think he was genuinely trying to figure out what it is (although from a first post it can be hard to tell). I think even Bach Strads in horrible condition can go for $500, $700. This one it's still hard to say--is that just lacquer wear or is there rot, how are the valves, is everything stuck, etc.? It may be you could de-dent it and clean it up and it would go for $1000 or $1200, but probably only someone who sees it in person can really tell.

You may be correct, if that’s truly the case, my apologies to the OP.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gabrieli wrote:
To the OP

Yes, there are a couple of dents and it is not completely clear to me fom the photos, whether the bell is creased or not.
You should have these things fixed by a competent repairer before selling.
Even in Germany it would cost only ca. 50 Euros to fix I think.
To say your horn is "pretty beat up" is simply not true.
However the laquer is obviously very bad and after having the dents taken out I would strip the laquer myself and sell it as in raw brass, which is popular among some players these days. whether you polish the brass before selling is up to you.
Within Europe selling on Vioworld.de might be a good idea. No fees or customs for anybody involved. If the valves are ok - reasonable compression - I would try ca.1000 Euros. I hope this is more helpful to you in Bulgaria.

I must admit that I have no idea what the market is like in Europe or even Bulgaria.

However, I do take exception to the bolded portions of the reply above.

While my comments might not be "nice" they are accurate and should be helpful. If nothing else the OP now knows that, of the 10 people commenting on this thread, more than 10% have a negative opinion of the instrument's value. Thus the OP can adjust his asking price to take that into account, realizing that he most likely won't get a buyer at the high end of the price range.

In my opinion, based on the pictures alone, this horn is the very definition of beat up. To say otherwise is simply not true. I would never purchase a horn in this condition for any price. Others certainly might feel differently.

While one could indeed imagine that this might be a hidden gem, based on how most trumpet players treat their instruments, the outer damage is highly indicative of possible internal issues also.

I am sorry if this offends, but it is my honest opinion.
Vicko620

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can assure you guys, I ain't here to sell. I'm just not much into trumpets, my search didn't really turn out to be very informative so I thought I should collect some opinions from people who are more familiar. It appears that some people would appreciate the horn more than others so I guess the price really depends on the merchant.

As for the condition, as it's probably not clearly visible from the pics, I can confirm there is no rust, just the lacquer is off. Also, all pistons and slides come out smoothly as even though the instrument was not used for a long time I kept it greased up. Here's a show video of me trying to play just so you can see the movement of the pistons and hear the sound:

https://youtu.be/RyCijh85AYw
Liberty Lips
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
From the photos, it appears that the silver plating is largely missing. It is not 'rust' , the top layer of very thin silver is gone, and the underlying brass metal is showing.

There is no silver plating on that horn, it was finished with lacquer and most of the lacquer has worn off. The parts that look like silver plating are the nickel silver slides. The leadpipe is showing what appears to be significant red-rot corrosion. This instrument was clearly not well taken care of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: