• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Remembrance Day

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ketch22

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Remembrance Day Reply with quote

Another Remembrance Day service has been addressed. I got up this morning to -20 c and wondered why I was doing this. But the sun was shining and I thought that is a big plus. Playing Last Post and Reveille at the Bruce Park Rememberance Service in Winnipeg, is a tradition I've been doing for 35+ (?) years, and this is the coldest morning I've ever had to perform the bugle calls. A few split notes (my face was numb) but as my wife, Dale, said, my tone was nice! I usually try to join the Salvation Army Band that was playing for the wreath-laying part of the service, but my trumpet immediately froze. Even the Band members were trading chemical hand warmers to try and keep their instruments playable.

A few minutes of discomfort, though, is less than "a drop in a bucket" compared to what our soldiers endured in the trenches. Even with 80 years looming on the horizon, I'm happy to do my part to honour those who did so much more - especially those who didn't come back to their families. I guess I'll keep doing this as long as I can.

The cold probably kept some people away, as the crowd was not as large as usual - only about 500 this year. Again, there were a lot of young people - not just young children, but a lot of teenagers and college ages. So we still have a population who "will never forget".
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain. When I played it in church, I had to move nearer a radiator as it was so cold.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have an excellent perspective; what’s a bit of cold weather playing discomfort compared to what many veterans have endured?

Thank you for posting this.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: