• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Al Hirt playing a Martin Committee on Lawrence Welk

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lifelong friend, Mike has sent me some pics of a Martin Committee that he has owned for some time. He and Al Hirt were acquaintances over a period of decades in New Orleans and a lot of years ago he handed Al Hirt this horn to get some comments. According to his commentary, Al Hirt played it for a little while and said "this is a really great old horn, I like it very much!", to which he replied, "it's one of your old horns".

It is possible that this is the same Committee in the video, but Al Hirt owned many, many horns over his lifetime.
Either way, I believe that this horn is a piece of trumpet history!

Regards,

Mike

My friend Mike sent this picture to me this morning:

This was taken shortly before Al Hirt's passing away. Mike worked across the street from Al Hirt's Club on Bourbon Street for more than 15 years, often visiting each other between sets.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbtj51 - Thanks for sharing the story and the pics.
Ron
Ronnman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Al Hirt and Jet-Tone Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Bill Ratzenberger was only the partner of the originator of the Jet-Tone mouthpiece, Ray Amado. Ray started making Jet-Tone mouthpieces around 1966 and over the years had most of the leading players using them. Al Hirt was one of the early converts and Ray made his model at that time along with custom models for Doc Severinsen, Bill Chase, Snooky Young, Urbie Green, Charlie Shavers, Buddy Morrow and many more. Ray separated from Ratzenberger around 1969 due to some "financial" discrepancies and Ratzenberger continued making Jet-Tone mouthpieces best he could, which was not nearly the quality that Ray Amado had developed. The name was sold over the years to many people and quality continued to deteriorate.

Tony see the video link below dated 1962. It appears that Al is using a Jet tone mouthpiece on his Martin Committee. Maybe a custom piece before the commercial release? https://youtu.be/GYxl2FT-6LM
Leeway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnman wrote:
Tony, you are correct. After viewing the video on a full size computer screen, I see where it appears similiar to a Martin mouthpiece. Also, thanks for the info on Bill Ratzenberger and Ray Amato. The mid 60s is what I remembered as the begins of the Jet-tone mouthpieces.
Ron

It does look very much like what I've seen referred to a "Schilke-Martin" mp.

Definitely not a Jet Tone.

What struck me is his odd sound, not what I would call indicative of the characteristically Martin Committee timbre.

Listen to Blue Mitchell playing the same horn in the same era.

Cant say it's my cup of tea musically. A lot of stress put on the "look what I can do" element with not much happening melodically and nothing at all innovative, when one considers what was happening in the greater Jazz World at that time. Nonetheless an interesting curiosity of the era.
Joe B.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horn looks tiny in Al Hirt's hands. My brother and I had an old (at the time) engraved, tri-tone I think, worn out Martin trumpet, in the 60's that dad picked up from a fellow musician friend. Wish I still had it. Still have my "java" album i bought new. "Turn off that bubble machine"!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: