• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha silver faux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnfin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Yamaha silver faux Reply with quote

What is the finish used on silver faux student horns.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is harvested from a distant relative of the naugas that are used in making Naugahyde. However the Faux are native to Japan and thus have diverged evolutionarily from the Naugas.

Specifically Faux create a pearl like substance that looks like silver rather than opalescent like a pearl.

Seriously, can you supply a picture or model number that shows what you are referring to?
johnfin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a yamaha 1320, finish is something other then silver plated.

Last edited by johnfin on Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Gonzalez
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickel plated
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen those for sale here on the used market. Nice to know that they are nickel and not silver.
johnfin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought 1. Nickel was satin like the 5 cent piece and 2. Would never corrode, mine is.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickel plating on brass instruments is usually bright, not satin. It also generally has a lacquer coat on top to keep it shiny.

Yamaha offered the 1320 in lacquered brass and silver plate. (I think the silver ones would have been marked 1320S but not sure.) AFIAK Yamaha have never made any nickel plated horns. If you're certain the finish on yours isn't silver, I'm guessing it's an aftermarket finish - most likely nickel.

I'd be intrigued to know if there are factory nickel plated Yamahas out there though. Gonzalez, do you have any more information?

Mike
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I believe it is harvested from a distant relative of the naugas that are used in making Naugahyde. However the Faux are native to Japan and thus have diverged evolutionarily from the Naugas.

Specifically Faux create a pearl like substance that looks like silver rather than opalescent like a pearl.

Seriously, can you supply a picture or model number that shows what you are referring to?

This begs the question, "Are there, or aren't there, Artesians?"
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnfin wrote:
I thought 1. Nickel was satin like the 5 cent piece and 2. Would never corrode, mine is.

I have a trumpet that I believe is a nickel-silver of some sort, and it has the beginnings of black pitting all over it, which I understand is telltale for nickel. What is the corrosion like on yours? (The trumpet I am talking about is a Carol 530, which they told me is like their 5200, and has nickel slides and I think other parts too.)
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickel silver, widely used as the base material for parts of trumpets, is an alloy made up largely of copper. It's a very different thing to nickel plating, which is pure nickel (or at least very close to it).

Mike
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the information at the trumpet history webpage the 1310 is nickel plated. But the site is not an official site so take it for what it’s worth.

The page also lists a 1320s that has a silver finish.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - I'd never heard of the 1310 but just did an image search and they definitely look nickel plated to me.

Mike
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Yamaha loyalist the YTR 1320, 1320E and 1320ES were all nickel plated. Also the 1310 but that is not the OP's horn.

https://adamgmalone4.wixsite.com/website-1/trumpet
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nickel plating is a very hard thick coating of pure nickel. By the way nickel plated bells sound great. Connstellation as an example. If nickel plating is exposed to the elements it turns a dull grey that can be polished back to bright with an aggressive metal cleaner like MASS or Rolite. Brasso or silver polish would be a tough go. The plating is really hard to scratch. You can take a jack knife and scrape it down the side of a bell and it won’t touch the nickel.
The lacquer over the nickel would degrade starting with lots of little spots. The nickel under those spots would turn grey. It’s not corrosion. Just tarnish/patina. It would polish perfectly if there were no lacquer over it.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
According to the Yamaha loyalist the YTR 1320, 1320E and 1320ES were all nickel plated. Also the 1310 but that is not the OP's horn.

I was under the impression Yamaha only used the S suffix for silver plated horns but that site seems like a solid source. I'm probably mixing up the 1320 with the 1335 - apologies for muddying the waters.

Mike
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Prestage wrote:
delano wrote:

I was under the impression Yamaha only used the S suffix for silver plated horns but that site seems like a solid source. I'm probably mixing up the 1320 with the 1335 - apologies for muddying the waters.

Mike

Based on the link it looks like "S" does indeed mean silver, while "ES" does not. I only checked a few since the website is very slow on my computer.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

This begs the question, "Are there, or aren't there, Artesians?"

Well..... a deep subject indeed.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Prestage wrote:
delano wrote:

Mike

I thought the same. I don't think it has anything to do with the E. I suppose there was a time Yamaha was not very consistent with their number and letter codes. Same with the third number of the four-number codes. Normally that indicates the bore of the horn (3=ML, 4=lb)but they make exceptions with the 4320 and the like. The fourth number is dark also, the 5 means regular production, the zero special models. But nobody is sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: