• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to improve my vibrato

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkshayB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: How to improve my vibrato Reply with quote

Hello, my name is Akshay and I am in 8th grader in middle school.

Lately, I have been trying to improve my sound/tone quality as I didn't perform well on my solo, Premier Solo de Concours from the Rubank Concert and Contest Collection, during my audition. During my solo, I used air vibrato, but after some research, I saw that lip/jaw vibrato was the preferred method of vibrato for most trumpeters. Are there any exercises that will help me get a more clear lip/jaw vibrato and/or improve my sound quality?

Thanks in Advance!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Self deleted.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good fatherly advice.

To your question at hand, you improve your vibrato by practing it.

Take whatever means of vibrato you choose (varying air, jaw or hand) and start playing a long tone as pretty as you can. Then use a slight vibrato with the vibrato pulse moving slowly, from one beat to the next. Make sure the vibrato is even and regular.

Now, this will take little time to write but in practice, it takes more time. When you get that under control, increase the rapidity of your vibrato a little. Continue this gradual process until you get your vibrato where you want it and keeping your vibrato under your control.

Now, put it into practice. You can play any slow moving melodies and use the vibrato.

Listen to your favourite players. They don't have to be trumpet either. I used to listen to singers a lot.

Also, I don't know your playing level. but the Cancone for Trumpet book is an excellent source for this. You can download a PDF (public domain) for free. But any melodic study at your playing level will work.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
... do you believe it had to do with vibrato? ...

-----------------------------------
I think this is the primary question that needs to be answered.

Did the adjudicators specifically mention that the vibrato was not done well, or was the opinion more like - I didn't like the vibrato?

If they felt there 'should be vibrato and it should sound a certain way' and you didn't achieve it, then yes - you need to learn how to produce the desired vibrato.

But if they objected to the use of vibrato (even if it was done well, and with good style), then maybe you need to play without vibrato, and to control the tone and 'feel' of the music in another manner. Sometimes vibrato is used to 'mask' the wavering pitch and volume of a long note that should be held very consistently and with resonance (being able to do that is a very important trumpet skill).

Vibrato can be similar to a strong flavoring in food. A little hint can enhance it, but too much is overwhelming.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are good tips from Roger Webster and Richard Marshall: https://youtu.be/YeJB1_GRCSk?t=247
Piccolo Stomvi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: