• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Kanstul G2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
napoorsocapo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Kanstul G2 Reply with quote

What approach do you need to have with the Kanstul G2?
I am having difficulty with the quality of the sound. Seems like it needs less air. Very different from other mouthpieces. After a while the lip suffers.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally never had any problem with it. How long have you had it and what make/model/size of previous mouthpiece are you coming from?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Kanstul G2 Reply with quote

napoorsocapo wrote:
I am having difficulty with the quality of the sound. Seems like it needs less air. Very different from other mouthpieces. After a while the lip suffers.

Based on the specs, .631 id , it is on the smaller size, for an ID, if i remember correctly though, it is deeper than normal for an ID that small, it reminds me of the curry TC or TF type cup that i play now sometimes, which i know from my personal experience don't require tons of air to make it sound good. Again, this is just my experience with these cups since i do play even smaller ID's than the G2.
One thing i do remember though when i had one , was how good your Harmon sounds when using them, maybe something to do with the cup shape, just a guess. Your experience may differ , but then again it's been a while.

regards,

Tom
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the G2 has a pretty narrow backbore, at least that's how I remember it from when I had one. Probably works better with a less air/relaxed approach.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kanstul G2 is is very "mid-rangey", not a lot of highs or lows in the tone but the semi v-cup and light weight makes for flexible and quick response. When I need to step on the gas, say in big band, funk, or hard bop it fights back a bit and can feel edgey and/or stuffy. Probably over time that would be solved but I don't think it's optimal for that kind of situation so I don't use it for that.
napoorsocapo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I personally never had any problem with it. How long have you had it and what make/model/size of previous mouthpiece are you coming from?

I come from a Bach 5B. After about 1 hour of Kanstul G2 the lips swell and prevent from playing
deleted_user_c11c97e

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The G2 has the same cup shape as the 5B, but it appears to be significantly scaled down (find the kanstul comparator). I think you just need an adjustment period, give it time.
www.trumpetbully.de/misc/g2vs5b.jpg
5B is red, G2 is green.
napoorsocapo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lip swells more easily than with other mouthpieces
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember back when Kanstul was working in partnership with Sony producing gold plated G2s in a bundle with CDs of the entire recorded collection of Miles Davis' music in a furniture quality wooden case. I got interested in the G2 and went to the showroom (remember that?) to try it out.

Charles Hargett sat in a chair at the other end of a table in front of me so he could listen. His response was, "You now how you've worked these last years to get the tension out of your sound? It's back with that mouthpiece."

I tried a couple of different times and never could match up with it. I guess I'll never be Miles...

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
napoorsocapo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give me some advice on how to approach this mouthpiece? I find it especially difficult in very low, very high notes and in playing at very low volume
BRSpringer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my own experience with the Kanstul G2 mouthpiece, I liked the sound but not the rim, which is flat and thin compared to many of today’s mouthpieces. TH member Tom Turner has posted several times about the changes in mouthpiece design in the 1920’s and 30’s, and this is one area he addressed.
If it’s the rim you find uncomfortable, an alternative is the Gustat cup with a “modern” rim. The Reeves/Purviance 6A and 9A both are Gustat style cups. bobreeves.com
TH member Doug Meeuwsen makes a Jazz Cup #1 and #2 based on the Gustat. meeuwsenmouthpieces.com
And Trent Austin’s H2 and H3 mouthpieces are also based on the Gustat. Austincustombrass.com
I’m sure there are others, but these three brands are the ones I’m familiar with.

Good luck!
Barry
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

napoorsocapo wrote:

napoorsocapo wrote:
Can you give me some advice on how to approach this mouthpiece? I find it especially difficult in very low, very high notes and in playing at very low volume

napoorsocapo wrote:
The lip swells more easily than with other mouthpieces

And from a previous thread:
napoorsocapo wrote:
No problem. Nobody took offense.
I was only wondering if anyone else has experience with this mouthpiece.

Given my initial difficulty playing this mouthpiece (difficult attacks, empty between one note and another). I heard that because of the alpha angle (?) It is not easy to play this mouthpiece, indeed it seems impossible for some. Or is it just a matter of time?

napoorsocapo wrote:
After a few days I have to say that things have improved. However, it remains a mouthpiece not easy to play, at least for me. The sound is beautiful.

I have a question: why are you using this mouthpiece? It has deficiencies in range for you and causes swelling.

You say that it has a beautiful sound, but I find mouthpieces that cause tension and swelling to be inefficient and thus I don't sound good. What actually makes a good sound is not the mouthpiece, but the player - playing with a nice approach that minimizes unnecessary tension.

Forget the labels and heritage of equipment. Don't worry about sizes and specs so much. Play on what sounds and feels good for you for what you are playing.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
napoorsocapo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any advice on what trumpet to combine with the Kanbstul G2 mouthpiece?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Committee, of course. Miles and Wallace Roney. But it won't make you play like them.

You should go for the sound you have in your mind's eye first, and then pick the equipment combination that gives you that, best. Not the other way round.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouthpiece/horn combinations are usually dictated by each individual player, desired sound/playability and concept. Nobody can tell someone else what their ideal combination will work as it's totally objective and personal. In addition, it's often how you approach the gear as much as the gear itself.
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: