• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Xeno????!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Yamaha Xeno????!!! Reply with quote

I´m quite satisfied with my Getzen Custom (3850) - using it in the brass-band, front row.
However, the Yamaha 6335 RC which I bought a year ago or so is almost a revelation to me - how can a horn be so playable, so helpful, so well in tune with itself, such a fast response - my perfect match.
This has made me wonder - how about the Yamaha Xeno - would such a horn also turn out to be an epiphany???
The Getzen cornet has fantastic valves, is well in tune with itself(needs some compensation 3:rd trigger C#), a distinct core, somewhat less bright than my previous Eterna - and also a trifle more heavy to play. But a lovely horn, for sure. I´m familiar with the quality of Getzen horns, since more than 50 years.
But but .....last Safari call before the final countdown?!!

So - anyone having experiences of the Xeno???(I haven´t tested one, so far) I´m very familiar with the differences between the 3850 and Eterna, having played Eterna 40 years and the 3850 at least 6 years.
I´ve changed the subject again - since no one seems to have any experience whatsoever of Neo cornets. The Xeno should be rather familiar to a lot more people.
So - Getzen Custom/Eterna versus Yamaha Xeno? Or just ideas about the Xeno???
Anyone? Hallo!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Fgonzales2

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:54 am    Post subject: My personal experience with yamaha Reply with quote

Hello so to describe my wonderful journey with yamaha, i got my 1st xeno going into highschool and it carried me all the way through and highschool being very versital in every situation and thats what loved about them from the start and that one was a 8335IIs it was a great horn but around my junior year of high school i went to purchase a 833IIRS for the more free blowing due to me beliveing i would like it more but the little resistance i got on the standard leapipe just played so great but no discredit to the reversed it PLAYED AMAZING i wish everyone would be able to see it. overall great horn i cant wait to get my hands on a chicago or a new york xeno , BTW i do got some Xenos from my collection to sell
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: My personal experience with yamaha Reply with quote

Fgonzales2 wrote:
Hello so to describe my wonderful journey with yamaha, i got my 1st xeno going into highschool and it carried me all the way through and highschool being very versital in every situation and thats what loved about them from the start and that one was a 8335IIs it was a great horn but around my junior year of high school i went to purchase a 833IIRS for the more free blowing due to me beliveing i would like it more but the little resistance i got on the standard leapipe just played so great but no discredit to the reversed it PLAYED AMAZING i wish everyone would be able to see it. overall great horn i cant wait to get my hands on a chicago or a new york xeno , BTW i do got some Xenos from my collection to sell

I suppose the OP is talking about cornets.
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a non-answer for you.

I am a gear head, and own way more trumpets than my wife is aware of.

I love playing cornet, but own only 2 Bb cornets. One is a 1948 vintage Conn 80A. It is a unique instrument all of its own, and don't really think of it as a cornet. It's great, and one of my favorite horns to play, but I don't use it for cornet work. My 'go to' cornet for solo or ensemble work is an early 70's vintage Getzen Eterna that I've owned for 30 years.

I have play tested some of the newer Yamaha cornets, and think they play great. I have played other makes as well, and found some seriously well playing horns. Yet, despite for my N+1 addiction, I have zero interest in playing anything but my old Getzen. It feels like an extension of my body. I can make it sound exactly like the sound image I have in my mind. The relationship I have with my Eterna like no other horn I own. You know the old saying, if it ain't broke...
chrisf3000
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Yamaha trumpets. In fact, I am a Yamaha Artist. I have sold or switched over all of my trumpets to Yamaha, including my rotary trumpet. The only one that I didn't is my Getzen Eterna cornet. I love that horn! Everything the OP said about it is true. Great valves, ease of playing, everything!

I have tried the Xeno and it's a great horn - very much the equivalent of a Xeno trumpet. Great sound, but possibly at the expense of the quick response and the ease of playing you are looking for. My guess is it's more designed for orchestra players. Maybe someone else knows, but perhaps the Neo would be something to consider? If you are happy with the Getzen, I think you are already in good hands there.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Yamaha Xeno!!! Reply with quote

I have had limited cornet experience in recent years. Without saying anything negative about Yamaha anything ( I think they have super quality control) I can say that my favorite cornet of all time is the Getzen Eterna. Fun to play, valves descended from heaven and a solid consistent sound. I got to play a Schilke A1 long cornet a bunch way back when, too. That horn had the sweetest sound of anything I ever played. Everybody you talk to says positive things about your Getzen, Seymore. You are sure allowed to look, but you may never find another like the ones you have now.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Xeno????!!! Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
I´m quite satisfied with my Getzen Custom (3850) - using it in the brass-band, front row.
However, the Yamaha 6335 RC which I bought a year ago or so is almost a revelation to me - how can a horn be so playable, so helpful, so well in tune with itself, such a fast response - my perfect match.
This has made me wonder - how about the Yamaha Xeno - would such a horn also turn out to be an epiphany???
The Getzen cornet has fantastic valves, is well in tune with itself(needs some compensation 3:rd trigger C#), a distinct core, somewhat less bright than my previous Eterna - and also a trifle more heavy to play. But a lovely horn, for sure. I´m familiar with the quality of Getzen horns, since more than 50 years.
But but .....last Safari call before the final countdown?!!

So - anyone having experiences of the Xeno???(I haven´t tested one, so far) I´m very familiar with the differences between the 3850 and Eterna, having played Eterna 40 years and the 3850 at least 6 years.
I´ve changed the subject again - since no one seems to have any experience whatsoever of Neo cornets. The Xeno should be rather familiar to a lot more people.
So - Getzen Custom/Eterna versus Yamaha Xeno? Or just ideas about the Xeno???
Anyone? Hallo!

Hi Seymor

I take it that you are talking about Xeno cornet? If so, I play one, and absolutely love mine. I play a Xeno trumpet too. Love them both. There was something about the Xeno cornet which appealed to me, from the very first time I play tested one. It wasn't the sound, although I am perfectly happy with the sound, but the playability. Now what is it about the playability I like? Well all of it, but especially the flexibility and responsiveness. Hands down it is my favourite cornet, but as a word of caution, they are like marmite. I have colleagues that like almost every professional cornet better than the Xeno, and remark that they hate the way it blows, slots and don't like their sound on it. I've heard others say that is is the cornet that gives them their sound.

I think that it is simply a case that you will like it more than your Getzen 3850 or you won't. You have a great cornet already, so in my opinion, it will come down to personal preference and what suits you best.

At the end of the day, I always think that it is a case of knowing your own horn. Pick something you like, really get to know it, and learn how to get the best out of it.

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Xeno????!!! Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the comments - I really appreciate them. Seems quite unanimous - my Getzen is a gem! Sure, I´m very satisfied playing it., albeit I find it a trifle more heavy to play than my, I have to say, playing life´s Eterna (since I played Eternas more than 40 years). So why did I switch to a 3850 - the triggers were one factor, Eterna only one; the sound was/is more how to say:, muffled/darker/more core/warmer/rounder.The Eterna more easy blown oh yes. Could be that as I also play leadtrumpet in bigbands the 3850 "masked" a more or less subconscious tendency to sound "trumpetish" in the brassband???
Anyhow looking for Nirvana, comming close with the RC a thought managed to sneak through my common sense etc etc and that was, well Xeno and how about the Neo.......and at the end of the rainbow....a big pool of water or the holy Grail??
Hopefully as my band participates in the Swedish Brassband Championships this weekend I will find an opportunity at the common horn exhibitions/sales - to play a Xeno, or Neo.
'I´ll be back...with a report if so!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Seymor

You are very welcome. I haven't played a Getzen 3850, so cannot comment how it compares to the Yamaha Xeno. I however don't think it would make any difference for your purpose if I had had a chance to compare a Getzen 3850 to my Xeno, as my understanding is that they are equally good cornets, and that it comes down to personal preference.

I definitely do not think that you will find Nirvana, a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow or the holy grail with the Xeno cornet, just a very nice playing professional brass band orientated cornet.

If you really like your Getzen 3850, I don't think that there is any reason to change.

All the best

Lou

Best wishes

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Xeno????!!! Reply with quote

'I´ll be back...with a report if so![/quote]
And here I am: lots of horns were available for testing and I had was lucky enough to find a Neo, a secluded room making it possible to test. Must say I was rather surprised. Playing the Neo (newest version of Xeno) I found it a very responsive horn, well in tune with itself, demanding almost no compensation, a fine horn , a little bit on the bright side ( mouthpiece Wick Ultra 1,5), maybe a bit edgy but with a distinct pure sound, rather warm, easyblown. Which made me think well well maybe. Taking it through my usual testroutineI I ended up in - well I´ll have to compare it with my Custom.
But then I found a new Custom at the exhibition so I was able test the horns side by side - one at the time that is. Referring to the stunning and hilarious performance by the Mnozil Brass later that evening.
And then I found, not entirely happy with that, that my Custom was a much better horn for me. Deeper, more core, warmer, as easyblown if not more....Sigh and of course, my dreams of the sudden magic "lift off" just died.
Back to the reservation and the same battle axe. Which by the way today is worth as much as when I bought it - due to prices going up.
So much for that! Maybe if I found another me....able to play that perfectly.....but this guy then must endure higher demands making it necessary to practice even more. And....
Double sigh!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:58 am; edited 3 times in total
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Xeno????!!! Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
'I´ll be back...with a report if so!

And here I am: lots of horns were available for testing and I had was lucky enough to find a Neo, a secluded room making it possible to test. Must say I was rather surprised. Playing the Neo (newest version of Xeno) I found it a very responsive horn, well in tune with itself, demanding almost no compensation, a fine horn , a little bit on the bright side ( mouthpiece Wick Ultra 1,5), maybe a bit edgy but with a distinct pure sound, rather warm, easyblown. Which made me think well well maybe. Taking it through my usual testroutineI I ended up in - well I´ll have to compare it with my Custom.
But then I found a new Custom at the exhibition so I was able test the horns side by side - one at the time that is. Referring to the stunning and hilarious performance byt he Mnozil Bras later that evening.
And then I found, not entirely happy with that, that my Custom was a much better horn for me. Deeper, more core, warmer, as easyblown if not more....Sigh and of course, my dreams of the sudden magic "lift off" just died.
Back to the reservate and the same battle axe. Which by the way today is worth as much as when I bought it - due to prices going up.
So much for that! Maybe if I found another me....able to play that perfectly.....but this guy then must endure higher demands making it necessary to practice even more. And....
Double sigh![/quote]

Hi Seymor

Thanks very much for the update. Being able to test the Neo, has at least solved this one for you.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: