• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

G trumpets: Scherzer 8113 vs Schilke G1L-4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: G trumpets: Scherzer 8113 vs Schilke G1L-4 Reply with quote

Has anyone out there owned both a Scherzer 8113 and a Schilke G1L-4 or had a chance to compare the two?

More detail on why I'm asking the question if you are interested:

I've been looking at getting a G trumpet, primarily for baroque literature in C but also to have a larger sound on pieces where I would consider using a piccolo for security.

My piccolo is a Scherzer 8111 and I feel like it has a warmer, larger sound than my old Yamaha 9830 it replaced. From the reading I've done it seems like the G1L-4 is known for having a pretty big sound for its size as well, no doubt in part due to the relatively large bell. The Scherzer seems to have a bell closer to the size of it's 8111 cousin.

Pardon the generalized adjectives (large, big, etc) but hopefully it's clear what I'm going for there.

There's a significant price difference (Scherzer is about ~$2K more and there are used Schilkes available that widen that gap even more) so though I've been holding out to find a Scherzer, I'm starting to second guess which would be a better fit for me.

Any feedback is welcome, thanks!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and use both.

Scherzer: it’s a very flexible, in tune and easy to play instrument. The 3 lead pipes move it from just a little broader than a Bb/A Scherzer, through to very thick and heavy for a picc.

Schilke. It’s just a heavy thick sounding instrument, but there is a razz in the sound the Scherzer doesn’t have. As I use a short shank mpc, it’s a bit of a gamble to use, in case things are at 440 or lower... apart from that, it is a terrific horn to play.

You can’t go wrong with either, but the Scherzer is more flexible sound wise.

Cheers

Andy
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated Andy, thanks!

-Jonathan
CRoberts8
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

Were you using the “stock” #5 bell? Have you tried the #8 bell (P5-4) taper on the G1L-4? I’ve only had the chance to try those two options on a G1L vs. the Scherzer G.

Jonathan,

If it’s worth it to you, the G1L-4 can become an F, or E trumpet, with I think 2 bell options available for each, #5 and #4 in F, and #4 and #2 in E. If potentially having additional keys is valuable to you, it’s something to note on the Schilke. The changes between bell flares can make the whole instrument play like something brand new.
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add an alternative idea. I have owned 3 different Schilkes, although I have not played the Scherzer G (but I did own a piccolo.) I have a Blackburn A/G and find it superior to the Schilkes I had. It is very easy to play and has a big sound. It comes with 2 bells. It worked great on the piccolo fanfares in Cats; switching quickly from Bb was much easier.

HTH

Ben
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for your replies, very helpful! Ben, that's a great thought on the Blackburn. I'll have to add that to my searches, I forgot that he makes that A/G trumpet.

Cheers,

-Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: