• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Spammer Alert...I think I was approached by a spammer...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Spammer Alert...I think I was approached by a spammer... Reply with quote

Checking to see if anyone else trying to sell a horn on the marketplace was emailed by this person recently.
sarahtranngoc2483@gmail.com, Name: Ngoc Tran
Kept trying to get my address to send a cashiers check. Here is the last email I received.
“ Good to hear back from you,I live in Dallas TX,presently i'm out of town but i will order my accountant general to issued out the check for you. and you don't need to bother yourself about the shipment because I have a pick-up agent that will come for the pick-up after the check clears in your bank they will also determine and secure the shipment.Get back to me with your full name and address so that i can send the check for you asap,”
I told him PayPal only and need a phone number first. Since then I haven’t heard a word. Please beware when selling horns on the marketplace.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
skishhhh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Standard Scam to Avoid Reply with quote

This sounds like a standard scam used in many on-line advertisement places. They will make a last minute mistake and send you a larger check then needed. They don't want to slow the process so they ask you to make the excessive deposit in your account, but you will need to send them a "refund check" after their payment clears. But, many people don't understand that it takes a good long time for a payment to fully clear. This payment never will clear, but, you may have already sent the refund payment. The people never come to pick up the product, they only wanted your refund check.

You've probably noticed some non standard English, perhaps because you dealing with a bot that takes a few words from your advertisement and then just standard responses.

Avoid.
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Spammer Alert...I think I was approached by a spammer... Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
Checking to see if anyone else trying to sell a horn on the marketplace was emailed by this person recently.
Kept trying to get my address to send a cashiers check. Here is the last email I received.
“ Good to hear back from you,I live in Dallas TX,presently i'm out of town but i will order my accountant general to issued out the check for you. and you don't need to bother yourself about the shipment because I have a pick-up agent that will come for the pick-up after the check clears in your bank they will also determine and secure the shipment.Get back to me with your full name and address so that i can send the check for you asap,”
I told him PayPal only and need a phone number first. Since then I haven’t heard a word. Please beware when selling horns on the marketplace.

Small world, my Friend.

I got hit, too. By the same "Sarah/Ngoc"! Literally, today.

When this happened on Craigslist....instead of my address, I just gave them the address of a Police Station, and instead of my name, gave them the name of the Chief of Police. I actually got an email saying the check was delivered and he expected the item or he would contact the authorities. Had no idea who he sent the bogus check, too. Lol.
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEFINITELY a scam - no question. Love how Theslawdawg handled it!
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Spammer Alert...I think I was approached by a spammer... Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
21trumpet wrote:

Small world, my Friend.

When this happened on Craigslist....instead of my address, I just gave them the address of a Police Station, and instead of my name, gave them the name of the Chief of Police. I actually got an email saying the check was delivered and he expected the item or he would contact the authorities. He had no idea who he sent the bogus check, too. Lol.

21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I would post the first email I received from this spammer to help the membership of TH. My first big alert was not knowing my price......
“ Their message: Hello,
I am interested in buying your item.How long have you owned it and Why are you selling it? I will like to see more available pictures and How much are you asking for it?.Do you accept a (Cashier Check or Personal Check ) as a mode of payment ?.”
My big worry is they will use my description and pictures to try and sell my horn on some other websites. eBay, Craigslist, etc......
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Spammer Alert...I think I was approached by a spammer... Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
Small world, my Friend.

When this happened on Craigslist....instead of my address, I just gave them the address of a Police Station, and instead of my name, gave them the name of the Chief of Police. I actually got an email saying the check was delivered and he expected the item or he would contact the authorities. Had no idea who he sent the bogus check, too. Lol.

Perfect.

adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Spammer Alert...I think I was approached by a spammer... Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:

Dead giveaway: Scammer was using an "accountant general". Now if they referred to a Certified Public Attorney, I might have thought that this was legit!!!
skishhhh
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
Thought I would post the first email I received from this spammer to help the membership of TH. My first big alert was not knowing my price......
“ Their message: Hello,
I am interested in buying your item.How long have you owned it and Why are you selling it? I will like to see more available pictures and How much are you asking for it?.Do you accept a (Cashier Check or Personal Check ) as a mode of payment ?.”
My big worry is they will use my description and pictures to try and sell my horn on some other websites. eBay, Craigslist, etc......

Their first email is almost a word for word match of one I received last summer when I was selling a boat trailer on Craigslist.

My neighbor got the same thing when he was selling a smoker. He followed it through to a point where he actually received an out of state purchase check for $500 for his $300 smoker. He also received email asking for a $200 refund due to the supposed mistake writing the purchase check. My neighbor did a little investigation and found that the check was drawn on a real bank with valid ABA routing number and account number, but, the name on the check didn't match the owner of the account. The bank would have slowly refused payment. By that time, the scammer was expecting to have the $200 refund check in hand.

Scam. Either play with them or avoid them.
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same scammer sent the same email to me🤦🏼‍♂️😆
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do I do is f I sent him my address ?
Best
Mark
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark61 wrote:
Best
Mark

I would send him another email letting him know you are on to his spam and if you get a check you will turn it over to the authorities.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
mark61 wrote:
Best
Mark

I would send him another email letting him know you are on to his spam and if you get a check you will turn it over to the authorities.

I hope you are joking. But....if not....I would get the police involved. Seriously. When I sent my Craigslist spammer the address of the police station, he had no idea....but he did threaten action because he did send a "check". With what I do for a living, which is far from the world of my 35+ year trumpet obsession, I am not concerned about some small time loser or my safety.

But for caution sake, If he has your address....you might consider your safety if you really accepted the proposal.
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea , I did that, sent a reply i would just take the check to the authorities.
Thanks
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I should post my response to the last email. I have not had anymore emails since so he knows I am onto his scam.
“Sorry, if it is still available when you get back in town maybe I might sell it but as I said before ONLY through PayPal. I will only do business if that person will talk over the phone. No talk no deal.”
As TH says, never sell anything without talking to that person first. I have bought and sold many items and have never not talked to the person first.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing.
The only way they would ever get an address from me is through PayPal.
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's literally the same crap all the email bots are sending.

Not in town......or a marine engineer at sea.......has a "assistant" or pickup agent to pickup the horn.......2 weeks later, they open a case with Paypal saying that you never shipped the horn out since there was no tracking number for you to add.
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this a lot on craigslist. My response is always "Call me". Lately they come back with "I'm deaf". So then I ask "why would a deaf guy need a trumpet?" Can't make this stuff up.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

onlyson wrote:
I get this a lot on craigslist. My response is always "Call me". Lately they come back with "I'm deaf". So then I ask "why would a deaf guy need a trumpet?" Can't make this stuff up.

mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea , well I reported to his to locals and emailed him back x 2 to instruct , if he sends a check ; that is where it's going. Had a friend pass away yesterday and my guard was down. Stupid
M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: