• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best/preferred clip-on trumpet microophone(s)?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Best/preferred clip-on trumpet microophone(s)? Reply with quote

Wow, gang! I haven't been here in several years! Good to be back!

I've not been playing horn much at all; been busy playing my primary instrument, keyboards, in a fairly active performing band.

I cover a lot of brass section parts (i.e., Earth, Wind, and Fire; Chicago) on my synth (sorry!), but for solo trumpet parts, there's nothing like the real thang, so I've begun practicing my trumpet again.

That said, I need to start mic'ing my trumpet for such parts in songs, so what do you folks recommend and have experience with in terms of clip-on trumpet mics? I don't want to spend an exorbitant amount of money on one, but it should be good enough to project an accurate sound coming out from the bell of my horn, eh?

Many thanks for your feedback!

Bruin
Schilke 17& 17D4d4 trumpet mpcs
Schilke 17F flugelhorn mpc
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there have been a couple threads regarding this, do a little digging..

But for me, the Audio-Technica Pro 35 has worked wonderfully. Easy to carry, great sound, sound techs like it, long wire, light-weight, and wireless capability.

Around $150.. considering that the standard SM-57 to put on a stand, without the stand, is around $90, a comparable price point.
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis, thank you for this info, and I will also poke around the website. I looked earlier for a search command, but didn't see one.

Again, thanks. This info gets me started in the right direction.

Cheers!
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with the forum search; use Google and add site:trumpetherald.com

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Atrumpetherald.com%20clip%20microphone
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, ayryq.
Chris#

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional point when choosing a clip mic (maybe discussed earlier, maybe not):

A clip mic deadens the bell. Playing becomes significantly harder with a clip mic mounted. I have tried basically all clip mics on the market and they are all the same. I mean, if you play with a loud ego rock/funk band and a guitar amp is pointing to your bell, it is already dead and a clip mic does not worsen the situation. But if you play with musicians....

I tried the AMT https://appliedmicrophoneshop.com/products/amt-p800 - this is too much hassle to mount, especially when switching between trumpet and flugel. It sounds very good, actually way better than the other ones, but buying two of them was not an option for me.

Finally I found a clip mic with a great sound (best of any I tried) that does not deaden the bell:

https://www.dpamicrophones.com/instrument/4099-instrument-microphone

It's not cheap, but worth the money. I wasted quite some money on cheap stuff before... I am very happy with the 4099 for years now.

If you try it, two things:

1) Use the mount clip with the 2 balls, which they recommend for sax. This has the least (close to no) negative effect on the bell vibration.

2) Bend the neck of the mic so that the mic is straight, bit does not point to the middle of the the bell hole. Best sound if it is about an inch off-center
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my AMT ROAM1 (now obsolete) but really don't care for their off-bell mount. The older ROAM1 bell mount isn't much better but I tolerate it because the mic works so well otherwise. I've used other bell-clip mics before and haven't perceived any downside. I'm half inclined to see if I can use the new AMT clip with my older model. Though I am intrigued by the DPA clip. What I really like about the AMT wireless option is that it's entirely self-contained, with no belt pack.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not had the same experience as Chris#. I use a Shure Beta 98. I do not notice any deadening of the bell, or the trumpet being any harder to play. I prefer the sound of my trumpet using the Beta 98 over that of the stand-mounted Shure 57 that I previously used. Unless they have changed recently, Chris Botti and Lee Loughnane (Chicago) use the Beta 98, and I suspect they could use any mic they chose, money being little or no object. I feel certain there are other good clip on mics out there, but I've had good luck with Shure products for many years.

Take care,
Marc Speed
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your feedback, guys. I'm still taking notes at this stage.

Chris#, wow, $600+ is waaay expensive. This might be something I'd consider if I were called on to play a lot of trumpet/flugelhorn for gigs, but this isn't the case. I play trumpet lines/motifs/solos that make certain songs recognizable to the audience, e.g., the trumpet solo in Tower of Power's "So Very Hard to Go," Chicago's "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?," Malo's "Suavecito," etc.).

Maybe a couple hundred bucks neighborhood for me?

Thanks again, guys!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're parked in front of a keyboard I'm not sure the hassle of a clip-on would be worth it. If it's not wireless then you need to worry about the cable. And with any clip-on, getting it on and off the trumpet stand could be a nuisance. A stand mic would be easier and cheaper.
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
If you're parked in front of a keyboard I'm not sure the hassle of a clip-on would be worth it. If it's not wireless then you need to worry about the cable. And with any clip-on, getting it on and off the trumpet stand could be a nuisance. A stand mic would be easier and cheaper.

Very good points. I just thought about the trumpet stand problem yesterday as I was reading your guys’ replies. Mic + stand should be good; set up to my side, near trumpet stand, and the system will be much cheaper, too.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruin wrote:
cheiden wrote:

Very good points. I just thought about the trumpet stand problem yesterday as I was reading your guys’ replies. Mic + stand should be good; set up to my side, near trumpet stand, and the system will be much cheaper, too.

If you have a taller trumpet stand then some clip-on's might swing out of the way but I often need to change quickly and wouldn't want to have to worry about flipping the mic back and forth.
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Just to see how this might work out, I used my Yamaha Silent Brass system as a way to amplify my trumpet to play in my band at rehearsal tonight, and it actually worked out quite well and the band said that my trumpet sounded very good. I am able to control the volume on the unit, and add one of two reverb settings as well. It felt a bit strange feeling the back pressure from playing into a mute and it does affect my slotting, but it's a viable option for those of us whose primary axe in a band isn't trumpet.

Thanks for all of your input, gang, and if my role in a band changes and I need to play my trumpet a lot more, I'll be referring back to this thread to explore the options that you provided me.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha used to sell an inexpensive clip-on horn mic that was meant to be used with the Silent Brass "portable studio" box. I bought just the microphone and used it with my first-generation Silent Brass module to drive earbuds, as a cheap personal monitor system.

I doubt Yamaha still sells the mic, but maybe you could find a used one.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beta 98

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
beta 98

+1

I've had it for a few years, only pics up the trumpet, no ambient noise, and let's face it, Botti uses one.
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you guys refer to "Beta 98" are you referring to a Shure mic? A Shure Beta 98H/C Clip-on Condenser Microphone?

And, nieuwguyski, I couldn't find that mic anywhere online, unfortunately. But, thanks for the suggestion.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruin wrote:
...And, nieuwguyski, I couldn't find that mic anywhere online, unfortunately. But, thanks for the suggestion.

I suspect that he's referring to the Yamaha MC 7 microphone. Appears to be discontinued but I do see one on ebay.
Bruin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Bruin wrote:
...And, nieuwguyski, I couldn't find that mic anywhere online, unfortunately. But, thanks for the suggestion.

I suspect that he's referring to the Yamaha MC 7 microphone. Appears to be discontinued but I do see one on ebay.

cheiden and nieuwguyski, thanks! I just bought it! I browsed eBay earlier, but apparently did not use the correct search terms. I'll let you guys know how it works out. Cheers!
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruin wrote:
cheiden wrote:
Bruin wrote:

cheiden and nieuwguyski, thanks! I just bought it! I browsed eBay earlier, but apparently did not use the correct search terms. I'll let you guys know how it works out. Cheers!

That would be the one. Sorry, I was visiting family for the holidays, couldn't look at the microphone box in the closet, and didn't manage to search very well using my phone. I can't help thinking that if the Silent Brass mute was almost satisfactory, the MC 7 will be... better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: