• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

greenish buildup?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acritzer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: greenish buildup? Reply with quote

What's the best home solution for cleaning off stubborn greenish buildup inside the slides? Soaking in hot water with dish soap doesn't seem to do it.

Something more abrasive but safe to use? The horn is raw brass if it matters.
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run something like this:

https://www.wwbw.com/Superslick-Trumpet-Cornet-Wire-Snake-L54566-L54566000000000.wwbw?rNtt=snake&index=4

through the slides along with the dish soap and warm water, repeat if needed and rinse thoroughly.

I've cleaned out many old horns. Works for me.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Greenish buildup Reply with quote

Hello all,
It is important to have some kind of maintenance schedule to keep your horn clean. I swab my leadpipe after heavy use. I run warm water through my horns once a month. When the hard scale starts to form, I take the horn in to the shop for a sonic cleaning. With a good home cleaning every 3-4 months, I can usually wait 2-3 years before I have the shop do the cleaning. The greenish buildup maybe caused by old grease though. There was a time where I would clean my horn, and the greenish stuff would appear within a week. I was using a lanolin base, and was told that it was old. Once I tossed the old stuff out and started using fresh stuff, I have not had a problem. If you are using a synthetic and getting a greenish buildup, maybe you are just not cleaning your horn often enough.
By the way, I have had to replace leadpipe/tuning slides on older, pre-owned horns because of rot. If I keep the horns clean, I won't have that expense.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there’s a good chance that what you’re seeing is verdigris.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verdigris

I’ve never had much luck trying to get rid of that with standard dish soap cleaning, brushes, etc. Last horn I had that had that (when I bought the older horn), I sent it to Doctor Valve for cleaning.

Brad
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really have access at home to the things that really dislodge and clean that stuff out, unfortunately. If soaking and a snake hasn't done it, then it needs a flush at a shop.

Regular hope cleaning, swabbing, etc can do a pretty good just if done regularly. However, just like your toothbrush and floss are no substitute for a dental cleaning, there's only so much your snake and water/soap can accomplish.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

I still chuckle when I recall that I never knew that word until it appeared in a song called "The Wizard and I" in the musical Wicked.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

I still chuckle when I recall that I never knew that word until it appeared in a song called "The Wizard and I" in the musical Wicked.

Man, you really pay attention to lyrics!😱😉

Brad
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
cheiden wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Man, you really pay attention to lyrics!😱😉

Brad

All the lyrics in that show are noteworthy.

"And one day, he'll say to me, "Elphaba
A girl who is so superior
Shouldn't a girl who's so good inside
Have a matching exterior?
And since folks here to an absurd degree
Seem fixated on your verdigris
Would it be all right by you
If I de-greenify you...""

I saw the show in LA twice during it's initial run. Once with Wayne Bergeron and once with Rick Baptist.

To the OP, good luck de-greenifying your horn.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use Noxon 7 (or Brasso) with a tube brush on the inner tubes to get the corrosion out. And/or soften a chunk of Lava bar soap, get it all over the brush head and in there to scour it out.

Be sure to get all of it out of the horn and do a final cleaning with regular dish soap. Important to get all of the pumice out.

-a
omelet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can try some weak acids like vinegar or citric acid or an acid mixture like CLR, fill up the tubes, let sit for a few minutes and then agitate with a brush to knock it loose. Wash out with soap afterwards. There is a concern of dezinc using acids but that is not an immediate effect and the verdigris will dissolve way faster since that is just a surface corrosion.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omelet wrote:
Can try some weak acids like vinegar or citric acid or an acid mixture like CLR, fill up the tubes, let sit for a few minutes and then agitate with a brush to knock it loose. Wash out with soap afterwards. There is a concern of dezinc using acids but that is not an immediate effect and the verdigris will dissolve way faster since that is just a surface corrosion.

Correct .. I use a weak solution of muriatic (hydrochloric) acid in the shop. Rinse well after and if you want to be thorough about it rinse, in a bicarbonate of soda solution to neutralize the acid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: