• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Name of ' technique '

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Name of ' technique ' Reply with quote

Hi

I was wondering if this way of doing things has a name ?

I am experimenting with finding an embouchure that allows me to burst some air and have a ' bang ' as a result.
When well done, the sound is loud and rich and curiously, I can manage to play pretty softly with it.

If was wondering if anyone did that too ?

Best

JiCe
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
i've seen on youtube an interview of a well nome classical player (don't remember the name nor the title of the program), where he said that sometimes depending of the needs of the music, he created a kind of pressure (slightly like a gentle valsalva maoeuvre) to get a more percussive fast clean response, even if played softly.
best
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that if I can ' blast ' any note that way, I can play FFFF/pppp with this setting, BUT range is limited '( one octave above/below the reference note ).

Today, I cant go any higher than E/F top of the staff with this 'technique ' because I can feel the tongue is out of the way and I cant blow that much air for it to happen higher ( yet )

For now, I consider this experiment with finding the best combination/placement of whatever produce the sound for me.

I do that with trumpet resting on thumbs so that I cant press and allow the trumpet/mouthpiece to shift where it wants to.
I already observed that when regular playing, I tend to raise the trumpet too much, resulting in less than ' what I can do ' playing.

Might take some time to adapt.....
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jicetp wrote:
I find that if I can ' blast ' any note that way, I can play FFFF/pppp with this setting, BUT range is limited '( one octave above/below the reference note ).

Today, I cant go any higher than E/F top of the staff with this 'technique ' because I can feel the tongue is out of the way and I cant blow that much air for it to happen higher ( yet )

For now, I consider this experiment with finding the best combination/placement of whatever produce the sound for me.

I do that with trumpet resting on thumbs so that I cant press and allow the trumpet/mouthpiece to shift where it wants to.
I already observed that when regular playing, I tend to raise the trumpet too much, resulting in less than ' what I can do ' playing.

Might take some time to adapt.....

Maybe you should look into the BE method! Jeff Smiley describes a certain way of attacking notes, "snapping". By no means a way of playing during ordinary circumstances, but a way of enhancing attack/focussing.
Seems to be something close to your efforts!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out TCE - Rich Colquhoun runs http://tonguecontrolled.info/

This technique (imo) directly influenced BE. There is a real focus on the quality of attack. I think it sounds worthwhile based on what you are experimenting with.

Best,
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the OP is referring to in his description. It is a bit vague.

Snapping notes in BE is far different from anything in TCE. I did not learn this technique from Callet. I discovered it myself in the early 1970's.

As for TCE influencing BE, BE was written in 2000. Trumpet Secrets was written in 2002.

Callet influenced both.

Jeff
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried to find the vid i was talking about, it's not that one, but this is interesting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oP08Fh5L9E
best
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snaps it is !

As a way of starting a not eto find the ' sweet spot '
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: