• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Any Adams A1 experts?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Any Adams A1 experts? Reply with quote

I recently got a good deal on a nearly-new Adams A1. I am enjoying it a lot but am a bit puzzled by the two tuning slides. Decisions, decisions... One is cylindrical, I think that is the one with only one bead around the top joint (?), and the other is conical (two beads?). To me the conical one is too resistant/closed so I am currently on the cylindrical one. But it is a bit hard for me to keep in line with that slide, there is a lack of resistance in the horn which requires more discipline in the chops.. it feels like the slots are less secure ("deep") so you have to be more precise. I would really like something between the two.

The good news about the horn is with that cylindrical slide the horn is just effortless to play, the note is sounding even before I realized I wanted it to. Once I get it dialed in my endurance is better as well. If not dialed in it can suck though.

Curious what expert opinions are on these two slides and ins and outs about the horn in general..
BRSpringer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact the guys at ACB. They are very helpful.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if I didn't buy it from them?
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from Trent who helped design the A1:

"When playing the A1 to start pick one slide for a while and do not switch. After a few weeks adjusting to one slide try the other slide. With the conical slide bending exercises will really help find the proper resistance points. I use the conical slide for most applications and the cylindrical slide for lead/commercial work."

Hope this helps!

ACB

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks. I did more or less do the one-slide thing, playing on the cylindrical slide only for the last month or so. I am trying out the other one a bit now. Maybe I need to just use the other one exclusively for a couple weeks and then do a comparison.

It is surprising how much playing difference there is in these slides, the specs are very close according to my calipers.
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottfsmith wrote:
Cool, thanks. I did more or less do the one-slide thing, playing on the cylindrical slide only for the last month or so. I am trying out the other one a bit now. Maybe I need to just use the other one exclusively for a couple weeks and then do a comparison.

It is surprising how much playing difference there is in these slides, the specs are very close according to my calipers.

The bore is gradual throughout all the way throughout the conical slide... so using calipers will give you a measurement at one spot but not the whole picture.

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it looks like I was mis-measuring it so I take back my remark above about them being so close. I just re-measured with a bore gauge, and the two straight tubes are completely cylindrical and are identical on both slides; the upper is every so slightly narrower than the bottom on both, aka it is a dual-bore design. The crook portion is definitely conical on the double-bead slide, the slide narrows noticeably right where the crook component starts on the upper side, i.e. is it a step-bore there. The non-conical slide widens in that same spot. The lower end of the crook portions are about the same diameter on both slides, meaning the conical slide .. is conical! Now the playing difference makes a lot more sense..
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.. following up on my own thread here, I just found at the Adams website that someone seems to have a similar view of these slides as I do: Michiel Levels, one of the A1 endorsers.

Quote:
... The A1 is available with a conical and a cylindrical tuning slide. Both sound distinguished. The conical sounds more compact and bright. It is also easier to play than the cylindrical slide. The cylindrical makes the sound of the horn broader. You have to work harder, but you get a more robust sound and free blowing horn in return. I prefer to play it with the latter slide.

I wouldn't call the conical slide bright, but definitely compact. It is easier to play because it slots more reliably, but the notes are much more free on the cylindrical and once I got used to it I have better endurance on it. I tried the conical slide out for a week and it is not for me, things where I needed quick flexibility such as fast jumps, and also on high notes, it was not up to the cylindrical slide.

I may try filing down the conical slide a bit at the upper joint to see if that improves it for me, by my bore gauge readings it really constricts there for a couple mm.
mdiceman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have my horn? Baltimore Brass consignment. It’s a great horn, but I have too many Bb’s including a recently acquired custom Powell, and it didn’t make sense to keep it stowed away.
I would NOT alter either slide!! I used that horn mainly for commercial applications and the upper register is superb. Wicked high a.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I didn't get my horn there.

Measuring yet more carefully, my conical slide has a 5mm or so section where it narrows just after the joint; then it widens again after that 5mm stretch. It is still narrower than the cylindrical slide after this spot because the tube itself is conical (the o.d. is smaller on the upper side). I then measured a bunch of other random trumpet slides and none have anything like that. I'm not sure this thing is intended, it is not part of the "conical" feature and it just seems to choke things off.

I'm not a commercial player, but I seem to like commercial horns for some reason. The guy I quoted above on the A1 site seems to be a similar fellow so it looks like I am not alone at least

EDIT: Measuring even more carefully than previously, the slide is in fact oval in this 5mm stretch - it is narrowed up and down (w.r.t. trumpet in playing position), and the side to side is not appreciably narrowed. This sounds like a manufacturing issue so I went ahead and hand filed it out to round. It seems to play better now, I don't feel like I am choking on it any more and it feels much more resonant, the notes more play themselves. Of course since it is impossible to A-B such a permanent change it is hard to be sure. YMMV, this will void your warranty, don't try this at home, etc etc. I am going to play my "improved" conical slide for a couple weeks and then pick one of them.
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Adams A1 Reply with quote

I also just picked up a used Adams A1 in like new condition. It seems like the slide with the 2 beads on it sounds and feels the best for me. But I need to use a larger cup mouthpiece to get the horn to center and sound the way I like. Is it just me or do you need a larger cup and or throat to get the A1 to center. I have been playing the horn for 2 weeks. I'm using a Laskey 65MC and getting the best sound and feel on that piece. I also have a Warburton 4MC with a #6 BB that doesn't allow the notes to center for me.

While using the Laskey the horn does play great . But I'm not sure I would like using the Laskey 65MC in a big band setting.

Any thoughts on this? Maybe a larger throat or backbore. I did try the other slide and really didn't care for it.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on Trent's suggestion above to practice note bends my guess is you need to not play too high on the pitch if you have the double bead slide in. It is easier to be too high on a smaller mouthpiece so that could be what is going on. Maybe note bends with the smaller mpc would help.

I am not using the double bead one now myself, it is fine but the single bead one gets the notes out much more quickly and easily for me.
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Adams A1 Reply with quote

I have been playing on my Adams A1 for about 2 weeks and was able to try it in a big band rehearsal last night. I play the second book in the band.

Most of the reviews on the A1 have been done by Trent Austin. So, I wanted to post this review. This isn't about the quality of the horn but just my review of how it played for me in a big band venue.

I started out with the conical or smaller slide and a Laskey 65MC mouthpiece. This setup was way to dark and felt tight to me. I then tried a Warburton 4MC with a KT backbore. This was also to tight for me. So, I switched and went to the larger slide and used the Warburton 4MC and KT BB. This worked the best for me. This setup gave me a focused sound that projected well in the group with good feedback from the horn. The horn felt great playing the fast soli parts in Song For My Father. So what I learned last night was I need to back off a little with my air and the horn will center and project. It still feels a little tight up high at FF blow sections. But, I think that might be me or my mouthpiece setup. This horn is very mouthpiece sensitive.

On the flip side I love the horn using the smaller slide and my Laskey MC for legit and small group playing. Easy centered sound with very fast response. The sound was hard to get used to coming from a large bell flare like a Bach 72 to this bell flare.
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Adams A1 Reply with quote

bebop wrote:
I have been playing on my Adams A1 for about 2 weeks and was able to try it in a big band rehearsal last night. I play the second book in the band.

Most of the reviews on the A1 have been done by Trent Austin. So, I wanted to post this review. This isn't about the quality of the horn but just my review of how it played for me in a big band venue.

I started out with the conical or smaller slide and a Laskey 65MC mouthpiece. This setup was way to dark and felt tight to me. I then tried a Warburton 4MC with a KT backbore. This was also to tight for me. So, I switched and went to the larger slide and used the Warburton 4MC and KT BB. This worked the best for me. This setup gave me a focused sound that projected well in the group with good feedback from the horn. The horn felt great playing the fast soli parts in Song For My Father. So what I learned last night was I need to back off a little with my air and the horn will center and project. It still feels a little tight up high at FF blow sections. But, I think that might be me or my mouthpiece setup. This horn is very mouthpiece sensitive.

On the flip side I love the horn using the smaller slide and my Laskey MC for legit and small group playing. Easy centered sound with very fast response. The sound was hard to get used to coming from a large bell flare like a Bach 72 to this bell flare.

Thank you for this review bebop!

While Trent did work on a new A1 trumpet with Adams in October we still have I think 8-10 A1 trumpets available at really sweet pricing. They are great horns for sure and fabulous deals right now. Just send us a note at info@austincustombrass.com or call 816-410-0826.

Kyle
ACB Shop Manager

Cool Links here:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: