• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Another Comeback Player spurred on by son's lessons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Another Comeback Player spurred on by son's lessons Reply with quote

First post. Hi all. Well its been over 25 years and wasn't amazing even back then but I have been enjoying picking up my old trumpet again to help my youngest son as he learns. He has a great teacher and I try to get along to his lessons when I can as I am noticing all the bad habits I had! Pretty sure I will end up getting more lessons myself.

The great thing about a comeback player is you can now afford the horns you always wanted! I have a hankering for a vintage Olds so we will see where that leads. Super or Recording, decisions decisions.

My wife actually wanted me to look for a new trumpet for my son but I am getting a bit distracted...
DerekE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out tonight and watched James Morrison in a nice small venue. Man that guy is talented. Killed it on the trumpet. And piano, trombone, baritone sax...
Lucky to have him regularly performing in my city. Some people are just on such another level it’s like they are from another planet.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Derek! I did something similar, my son started on trombone and I bought a beater Olds on eBay to play along with him - I have played various woodwinds over the years so knew the basics of blowing etc. Next thing you know I'm getting serious on trumpet.
DerekE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott. Another son is on the trombone so one can only hope I can keep up with them! James Morrison had two of his sons on double bass and guitar for his quartet and they were amazing in their own right.
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s my son that motivated me to get back into it, and he was only 2 at the time. 4 years later, I’m playing every day and he’s barely noticing. Regardless it’s great to be back and using the other side of my brain again.
JorgePD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is the reason I came back as well. He played trumpet, sax and drums in middle school and decided to quit them all when he started high school. I started playing the trumpet again in hopes it would encourage him to play again. Two years later I'm still going strong and he could care less!
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little twist, but still family influences:

My father played cornet and trumpet in high school, in some big bands, and on radio programs in the 1930s, then quit because of WWII, then family, work, etc.
I started band in early 1960s, and picked cornet/trumpet because of my father. I quit for 20 years, started comeback at age 38, and I'm still at it 30 years later.
My son picked trumpet in middle school, but quit. He is coming back because...
His son picked trumpet a year ago at age 10, and shows promise.

It's a great instrument, isn't it?
DerekE

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, yes love hearing the trumpet in the house again. Will be great to get to a point to play some quality tunes with the kids
billm67

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another person who has started playing again after seeing my son play. I bought a used student horn off craigslist 5 months ago and I hope to start playing with a town band after the first of the year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: