• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

dynamic intervals in a closed environment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject: dynamic intervals in a closed environment Reply with quote

Like most of us, the corona virus is leaving me house bound. Since I have little to do I have revisited Caruso. Been at least 20 years but it comes right back, even the subdividing.

Its working great. Currently I do the 6 notes, 4ths, harmonics and chromatic pedals. Things are going so well I am thinking of starting the intervals with dynamic ( <> and >< but just <> now). However, I am stuck at home with my family and not sure I can do the dynamics with "abandon" as Caruso would say. I might get myself evicted from my own house. So here is my question. Would it be productive at all to do those intervals without "abandon"? just to moderately loud?
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, the essence of the <> and >< exercises is taking the notes beyond your ability to make them sound musical. This now allows the muscles to eventually become sensitized to the new air speed your trying to push through the lips (both fast and slow) and ultimately develop your dynamic range.

Carmine frowned on using a mute (anything that would add resistance or weight to the bell) for the calisthenics so you need to find another way when practicing in close quarters. One would be to play into the hanging clothes in a closet, leaving ample space at the end of the bell (a foot or so). You need to be able to BLOW WITH ABANDON!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your question, you can only do what you can do. Do what you can and be satisfied with that. You can't control your environment.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jerry Freedman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was said about getting used sensitized to air volumes is probably true but ai also think it is about aperture control. When I am playing softly I still support the sound with my abs and lower back but the aperture naturally gets smaller so to be able to use supported air at lower volumes
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you only can do these up to mf, then that is what you should do. Back when I was living in apartments, I would play into a closet, or even play the LSL & SLS drils while inside the walk-in closet. It doesn't matter that the room is super dead, as clisthenic practice is just for conditioning and timing.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
I think if you only can do these up to mf, then that is what you should do. Back when I was living in apartments, I would play into a closet, or even play the LSL & SLS drils while inside the walk-in closet. It doesn't matter that the room is super dead, as clisthenic practice is just for conditioning and timing.

I just remembered, in the past I have had students do these (and other loud playing) in the car. Got cabin fever from social distancing? Get in the car and drive to the park or to the deserted mall parking lot. Play your dynamic calisthenics. It will clear your head and spare your family and neighbors!

Maybe use some hearing protection.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing outdoors can be a real strength builder. Summers in Detroit saw us playing almost exclusively outdoors at Pine Knob, Meadowbrook Theater with DSO and dozens and dozens of Trust jobs.

When fall came and we were back indoors I noticed how my tone had improved.

It started in middle school back in New Jersey. We had several acres in Basking Ridge. I would stick a folding stand shaft in the ground and practice. The neighbors never complained. Playing outdoors rounds out the sound without the intensity.

I believe practicing outdoors builds a balance in the face and breathing system. So Caruso Intervals outside should be fun.

I would not recommend starting the Intervals with LSL or SLS. Always begin the Interval Studies with Reg. (half note half note, whole note).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: