• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need new trumpet mouthpiece

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
02Btrp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Need new trumpet mouthpiece Reply with quote

I have been playing on a old Jet Tone 2B since the early 80's. Starting to notice I am having issue getting enough air through the mouthpiece.

Currently playing a Getzen Eterna LB horn.

I am looking to get a new mouthpiece, the only change I would like to make is to go to a larger throat.

Currently the throat is (I think 2, cup diameter (I think .630"), cup depth (I think .310") not much information available for the old Jet Tone's

Any suggestions?
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

find a tech to open the throat, perhaps? Jet-Tone had a standard 27 throat.
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things change as we get older. Teeth re-align, lung capacity may be reduced.

It may be time to re-evaluate and try less open blowing equipment.

Consider a larger diameter mouthpiece with a smaller bore horn.
Looks like Legends Brass has a larger version of the 2B.

It's sometimes confusing since too open a setup can feel constrictive.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Need new trumpet mouthpiece Reply with quote

02Btrp wrote:
I have been playing on a old Jet Tone 2B since the early 80's. Starting to notice I am having issue getting enough air through the mouthpiece.

Currently playing a Getzen Eterna LB horn.

I am looking to get a new mouthpiece, the only change I would like to make is to go to a larger throat.

Currently the throat is (I think 2, cup diameter (I think .630"), cup depth (I think .310") not much information available for the old Jet Tone's

Any suggestions?

The mouthpiece will handle the same amount of air/airflow today as the day you started playing it. So, the difference is the result of something that has changed in how you play. That change may be permanent or it may just be temporary. I know in my own experience that things can feel a lot different some days and that this can influence me to think/wonder that what I'm feeling at that moment is permanent. However, after a few days things always go back to normal.

Rather than jump into changing something that has worked for you 30+ years I think you should first try to figure out what has changed in how you play that is now giving you the impression that you aren't getting enough air through the mouthpiece. You should also consider the possibility that there is some mechanical issue with the horn such as low compression, a leaking water key, etc. that is contributing to your impression.

Making the drill hole larger could create a result the opposite of what you want in that it may make things so free blowing that it seems you run out of air too soon and, thus, aren't putting enough air through the mouthpiece (because you don't seem to have enough air - at least that would be the impression of what it would feel like).
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Need new trumpet mouthpiece Reply with quote

Quote:
Jet-Tone had a standard 27 throat.

Actually the original Jet-Tone #1-2-3-& 4 series pieces all came standard with a #28 throat. I've found that opening the throat on these pieces totally destroys the mouthpiece!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
deleted_user_0fad774

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<deleted>

Last edited by deleted_user_0fad774 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
02Btrp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing on a more regular basis again, now that the kids are out of college. I noticed this issue back when I was playing all the time but never did anything about it.

Thanks
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

02Btrp wrote:
Playing on a more regular basis again, now that the kids are out of college. I noticed this issue back when I was playing all the time but never did anything about it.

Thanks

In that case there could be a variety of mechanical issues involving the mouthpiece alone, the trumpet alone or a combination of the two. Or the problem could be related to the player.

So, let me approach this from a different direction. When you say "Starting to notice I am having issue getting enough air through the mouthpiece" how does that manifest itself?

Does the air seem to be backing up, like the mouthpiece simply won't take the air/airflow you're trying to give it?

Does the mouthpiece seem to be accepting the air/airflow you're providing but you don't feel it's enough air/airflow?

Something else?

The more specifically you can describe what you feel is happening the better we can understand and make appropriate suggestions.

Mouthpieces involve many factors which are interrelated. Changing one specification can change something for the better at the expense of changing many things for the worse.

There are a lot of uncertainties, especially since the relationship of the horn to the mouthpiece is a major factor that is variable from horn to horn.

Your issue may be caused by something as simple as the mouthpiece gap. Have you tried your mouthpiece in other horns to test whether the issue is consistent from horn to horn? That kind of test should give you direction in determining the true source of the issue.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Lotus mouthpiece(s) Reply with quote

chansen1106 wrote:
I recently tried a Lotus 2LV mouthpiece. Even with the deeper V cup, it was amazing how easy it was to blow AND how much easier it was to play above the staff. Like others have said (and their advertisement claims), it just kind of “floats” up there. - I easily had a further Maj 3rd - 4th range with it.

This is the mouthpiece you have listed for sale in the marketplace, right?

deleted_user_0fad774

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<deleted>

Last edited by deleted_user_0fad774 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I’m not trying to be funny or anything, but have you tried thoroughly cleaning the horn and the mouthpiece. I’ve had friends have a similar issue and a good cleaning and PVA was the cure.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chansen1106 wrote:
Yes, it is the same mouthpiece.
And like I said in the ad, absolutely nothing wrong with the mouthpiece. It plays great. I was just looking for something EXTREMELY dark (Like Flugel quality) - and it wasn’t quite dark enough

If I tried a new mouthpiece and it "easily" added a "Maj 3rd - 4th range with it" (as you claim) I would NEVER part with it. In fact, I would nominate the mouthpiece for a place in the Guinness Book of World Records under the category "Most Miracle Mouthpiece in the History of Trumpet." My price would be a gazillion pengos and some gullible player would pay my price. As Claude Gordon said, "A trumpet player will buy anything if there's a high note attached to it." That may not be an exact quote but it's the gist of the quote.

Needless to say, I'm more than a little skeptical. There are no miracle mouthpieces. Only claims of miracle mouthpieces. The fact that you've listed this for sale in the marketplace and then have hyped it up in a post is no coincidence. That's the way a lot of equipment is marketed. However, what do you say to your buyer when the mouthpiece doesn't live up to your hype? That, to me, is the problem.

If this mouthpiece really did result in you "easily" adding a "Maj 3rd - 4th range with it" then what in the world horrible mouthpiece were you playing before? Inquiring minds want to know!

Please understand, I'm jabbing at this in good fun. The whole topic of "miracle mouthpieces" and how players go to crazy lengths to try to find them is fascinating to me. So, when I see posts like this it gets the wheels turning. I really don't mean to offend anyone. In a world filled with trumpet equipment hype I just intend for people to think about claims like this instead of just accepting them as true (or even possible).

If this mouthpiece, even with a deep V cup, didn't produce a "dark enough" "like flugel quality" sound for you then I think you have to consider the possibility that there is no trumpet mouthpiece that will.

We've seen some recent threads here about what mouthpiece to use to make a trumpet sound like a flugelhorn. The simple truth is that there is no mouthpiece that makes a trumpet sound identical to a flugelhorn. So, if you want a real flugelhorn sound you need a flugelhorn.

Have you tried a flugelhorn mouthpiece in your trumpet? You'd need at least a cornet adapter but trying this will answer a lot of questions about what is reasonable for you to expect in terms of a "like flugel quality" sound from a mouthpiece/trumpet combination.
02Btrp

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice me not getting enough air through the horn the loader I try to play, also, but not as much, when I start playing around a High C and above.

Currently playing with several strong players and my part is getting lost.

Both mouthpiece and horn are cleaned regularly and checked often.
deleted_user_0fad774

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<deleted>

Last edited by deleted_user_0fad774 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:51 am; edited 2 times in total
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: HERMIE... Reply with quote

chansen1106 wrote:
Quote:
If I tried a new mouthpiece and it "easily" added a "Maj 3rd - 4th range with it" (as you claim) I would NEVER part with it.... (and I’m quoting here) blah blah BLAH...

Wow... welcome to the Forum, Chris! - Super friendly!

When a new member tries to lay a bunch of jive on the experienced players here the new member shouldn't be surprised to be called out on it. That's especially the case when the jive is in connection with self promotion of a product the new member has listed in the marketplace. Trying a new mouthpiece and "easily" adding a "Maj 3rd - 4th range with it" is jive. It never happens and it never will and we all know it because we've all been there.
deleted_user_0fad774

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<deleted>

Last edited by deleted_user_0fad774 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: HERMIE... Reply with quote

chansen1106 wrote:
Quote:
If I tried a new mouthpiece and it "easily" added a "Maj 3rd - 4th range with it" (as you claim) I would NEVER part with it.... (and I’m quoting here) blah blah BLAH...

Wow... welcome to the Forum, Chris! - Super friendly!

Maybe you should try being kinder to new members to a forum (for a change?)

You did your research! Maybe there must be added a forum rule that new members have the fundamental right to make five nonsense posts without being criticized.

2) I currently have: Curry 3TC., Curry CTF., Monette B4S S2, ACB 3CV w/ an 00 backbore, ACB 3CFX

And: " Planning on getting a B4SD and B4S FL (for deeper, darker tones)."

So that are a lot of mouthpieces! What are you going to do with them? I can't even imagine playing them all. Or do you use different mouthpieces for 'My funny Valentine' and for 'Round Midnight'?
deleted_user_0fad774

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<deleted>

Last edited by deleted_user_0fad774 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
deleted_user_0fad774

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<deleted>

Last edited by deleted_user_0fad774 on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody wins. Rereading your posts I think your intentions are not bad but the presentation is certainly bad. Unrealistic claims and a not nice looking combination of advices and advertising. So, you don't have to leave here but maybe a more realistic approach is possible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: