• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Need new trumpet mouthpiece

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
chansen1106 wrote:
Yes, it is the same mouthpiece.
And like I said in the ad, absolutely nothing wrong with the mouthpiece. It plays great. I was just looking for something EXTREMELY dark (Like Flugel quality) - and it wasn’t quite dark enough

If I tried a new mouthpiece and it "easily" added a "Maj 3rd - 4th range with it" (as you claim) I would NEVER part with it. In fact, I would nominate the mouthpiece for a place in the Guinness Book of World Records under the category "Most Miracle Mouthpiece in the History of Trumpet." My price would be a gazillion pengos and some gullible player would pay my price. As Claude Gordon said, "A trumpet player will buy anything if there's a high note attached to it." That may not be an exact quote but it's the gist of the quote.

Needless to say, I'm more than a little skeptical. There are no miracle mouthpieces. Only claims of miracle mouthpieces. The fact that you've listed this for sale in the marketplace and then have hyped it up in a post is no coincidence. That's the way a lot of equipment is marketed. However, what do you say to your buyer when the mouthpiece doesn't live up to your hype? That, to me, is the problem.

If this mouthpiece really did result in you "easily" adding a "Maj 3rd - 4th range with it" then what in the world horrible mouthpiece were you playing before? Inquiring minds want to know!

Please understand, I'm jabbing at this in good fun. The whole topic of "miracle mouthpieces" and how players go to crazy lengths to try to find them is fascinating to me. So, when I see posts like this it gets the wheels turning. I really don't mean to offend anyone. In a world filled with trumpet equipment hype I just intend for people to think about claims like this instead of just accepting them as true (or even possible).

If this mouthpiece, even with a deep V cup, didn't produce a "dark enough" "like flugel quality" sound for you then I think you have to consider the possibility that there is no trumpet mouthpiece that will.

We've seen some recent threads here about what mouthpiece to use to make a trumpet sound like a flugelhorn. The simple truth is that there is no mouthpiece that makes a trumpet sound identical to a flugelhorn. So, if you want a real flugelhorn sound you need a flugelhorn.

Have you tried a flugelhorn mouthpiece in your trumpet? You'd need at least a cornet adapter but trying this will answer a lot of questions about what is reasonable for you to expect in terms of a "like flugel quality" sound from a mouthpiece/trumpet combination.

This....especially the first paragraph!!

Brad
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Need new trumpet mouthpiece Reply with quote

02Btrp wrote:
I have been playing on a old Jet Tone 2B since the early 80's. Starting to notice I am having issue getting enough air through the mouthpiece.

Currently playing a Getzen Eterna LB horn.

I am looking to get a new mouthpiece, the only change I would like to make is to go to a larger throat.

Currently the throat is (I think 2, cup diameter (I think .630"), cup depth (I think .310") not much information available for the old Jet Tone's

Any suggestions?

A few years back, I moved from a medium bore horn to an open and larger horn. Similar to you I had been playing the same mouthpiece for many years, since the 60's. I felt wanted to open it up a little too to see if that let me have more freedom with airflow. I loved the horn with the old MP, but wanted to experiment. So I dug around, and thanks to people on this forum, used the Kanstul comparator and found that my old MP was equivalent to a current Bach 1.5C. I got one of these and had the throat bored out from 27 to 26 by Mouthpiece Express. I really liked the effect. When I later added metal valve guides to the horn, I found that a Bach Symphonic 1.5C with a 26 throat and the 24 backbore gave me even more freedom with air. That is what I play with it now.
I would recommend trying to find a mouth piece equivalent to what you have now and getting it professionally modified in baby steps to see if you like the effect. I would not modify your old piece -- too precious, you might want to go back to it. The whole experiment may be a bust and you might want to go back, or you might get lucky like I did and find something you are more satisfied with.
I understand that this is contrary to a lot of good thinking about tighter mouthpieces with freer horns, but it did work for me with this horn. I do not use the Symphonic MP with any other horn, but I do find the 26 throat standard 1.5C works well -- particularly if I get the gap right.
You also, might look into gap issues with your current MP.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: