• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bach Mega Tone 3C.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andersonengineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:23 am    Post subject: Bach Mega Tone 3C. Reply with quote

First thank you all for the help with the Strad hunt and pointing me in a good direction.

I am using a UMI 3C mouthpiece for the Silver Flair for a few months now and feel very comfortable. The notes below middle C are solid, and I can comfortably get to the G above high C and feel good about it.

I played for five years and put it down for quite a while. Picked it up two months ago and have been practicing daily, mainly getting my chops back. I can fluently read music, so that is an easy break. I am under casual instruction of a family members coworker, just making sure that I don't develop any bad habits, etc.

At the moment, I am focused on getting to the next level as such. My goal is to be playing in a tribute band for Veterans and Active Duty military members who have done so much for us. After that my goal is to get comfortable enough to gig in a blues/jazz band. But right now the task in hand is getting chops back and working hard to advance.

I have not had the opportunity to play a Mega tone with either horn yet, but I am coming to you folks for recommendations and thoughts regarding that.

I don't expect magic, I am willing to put the work in and enjoy it.

Do you think that the mega tone 3C would be a smart move? I like the high mass tone and remember really liking them.

Let me know your thoughts and I am open minded and eager to learn from this community.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and Cheers!

Derek.

Back in the day (as such) I played with a mega tone 3C,and recalled really liking the sound a lot as well as the feel.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of any argument for why a Megatone would offer any benefit in general to a comeback player. However, it might give you a bit of a boost if it brings back positive memories of playing the first time round. A lot of us gearheads spend money on new toys for much less compelling reasons than that!

Mike
andersonengineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Prestage wrote:
I can't think of any argument for why a Megatone would offer any benefit in general to a comeback player. However, it might give you a bit of a boost if it brings back positive memories of playing the first time round. A lot of us gearheads spend money on new toys for much less compelling reasons than that!

Mike

Thanks for the response.

What is the possible benefit I could have in time or what would a well seasoned (which I am not at this point) player stand to benefit from a mega tone?

As far as gear heads go, I definitely am on with guitar equipment, I am a professional guitarist and shed no tears on dropping a grand or two on another amp or guitar even if there is no need. Lol. Not saying I am swimming in cash or anything, but I get the thrill of a new acquisition.
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. IMO there aren't really any valid generalisations about the benefits of heavyweight mouthpieces for players on any level. They're not an upgrade over lighter mouthpieces, even if Bach's pricing and marketing might imply they are. They're just different. Also, accomplished players who prefer them with one particular horn might choose to go back to a lighter weight if they change instruments. This could be to make the horns play more alike, or the opposite - to exaggerate their distinctive characteristics.

Mike
andersonengineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Prestage wrote:
You're welcome. IMO there aren't really any valid generalisations about the benefits of heavyweight mouthpieces for players on any level. They're not an upgrade over lighter mouthpieces, even if Bach's pricing and marketing might imply they are. They're just different. Also, accomplished players who prefer them with one particular horn might choose to go back to a lighter weight if they change instruments. This could be to make the horns play more alike, or the opposite - to exaggerate their distinctive characteristics.

Mike

Thank you for the kind response. I will have to check one out with my horn if I can find one to demo.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with the general idea of what's been written, however, I will point out that a Bach Megatone, while having more mass, ALSO has a slightly more open throat vs. the standard mouthpiece of the same series (3C, 1.5C, etc)

So not only it the mass of the mouthpiece providing a different affect, the throat size has an impact.

If you like it, use it. Stick with one! Put the other in a drawer and forget about it for a while.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Mike Prestage
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Yes, I agree with the general idea of what's been written, however, I will point out that a Bach Megatone, while having more mass, ALSO has a slightly more open throat vs. the standard mouthpiece of the same series (3C, 1.5C, etc)

So not only it the mass of the mouthpiece providing a different affect, the throat size has an impact.

If you like it, use it. Stick with one! Put the other in a drawer and forget about it for a while.

I'm well aware of the 26 throat in Megatones but if, anything, it probably serves to make them play more like the standard weight Bachs than they would if they had a 27. IMO factoring this in to discussions just makes the potential to over-complicate things even worse. I agree 100% with the point about using what you like though

Mike
andersonengineering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I will let you know when and or if I get my hands on one.

Cheers.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was an early adopter of the Megatone mouthpieces back in the 80s. I had been playing on a Bach 1 and imported a 1 Megatone from the USA when they came out. I was doing a lot of big orchestral stuff and looking for a very solid sound. The megatone did not disappoint. I played that mouthpiece right through to the early 2000s. A few of my friends switched too - notably from the 3C to the 3C megatone. They all found it to be more stable and more colourful.

The big advantage though is balance. If you play a Yamaha or a Bach trumpet and put in a normal mouthpiece the bell will want to pull down. Put int he megatone and the instrument will be more balanced. Because I have an overbite the heavier mouthpieces help me to keep the leverage off my bottom lip.

I think the balance issue is overlooked when considering mouthpiece weight.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidentally I just decided to get re-aquainted with my 1D Megatone after being on a smaller Warburton setup. It's diameter is bigger, but the cup is shallower than a 3C. Also, the bigger throat takes noticeably more air.
I originally went with this mouthpiece because for years, I used a Bach 3C that had been modified to very similar dimensions

It definitely has a fuller, richer sound. When I used to use it playing with fairly amplified bands, I was able to hear myself better because the extra mass there seems to give more feedback.
deleted_user_0fad774

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Bigger throat Reply with quote

I had a Bach 2 I tried to make work for awhile, I liked the darkness, but it felt stuffy, plus it was a little too large since I’m a 3 rim guy. I recently got a 3 Megatone and loved how the more open throat made the deeper cup easier to play. I have found, though, that the best route for me for darker, while retaining an open feeling, plus ease in playing higher have leaned more towards Curry mouthpieces (3TC. and 3TF.). Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: