• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Piccolo Trumpet Comparison

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldplate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: Piccolo Trumpet Comparison Reply with quote

I would really like to see a more current comparison of piccolo trumpets like on this website, but this is interesting. It appears to be be from 2008 and leans towards the French piccolo trumpet sound.

http://www.maurice-andre.fr/choisir.piccoloengl.html
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it would be nice to have something like a universal piccolo trumpet guide. Even comparisons of top instruments, entry-level, and economy would be nice.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is easy to narrow down.

Entry level. Delete and never, ever consider. Save the $$$ amd heartache.

Mid level, economy mode. It will sort of work, but you will end up sorry.

Professional level. Start at Schilke and move on. Save the $$$, take lessons and find a horn hitch suits you.

Cheers

Andy
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, much of the advice I've seen on here for piccolo has been yours. You've often listed your top 3-4 (with Schilke rarely among them), and also weighed in on middle brands like Carolbrass and Jupiter, and also leadpipes and mouthpieces.

Recently I had the dilemma of buying sight-unseen an older Getzen, a Carol in only decent-looking shape, or a mint Jupiter. Like a lot of folk I was looking for something around ~$1000. I'd seen good recommendations on all of these. It seemed harder to find knowledgable reviews on Dillons or ACB.

Start with Schilke is of course great advice, but it's also helpful to have all the other advice too Now here's hoping I don't end up sorry...
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Piccolo trumpet comparisons Reply with quote

Hello all,
I started with a short bell Yamaha custom pic in 1976. I was a young player at the time. What I most remembered was that for one reason or another, that I had to play the G's 1-3 to play in tune. Don't remember the mp. I bought my P5-4 in 1980, when I was in grad school. It felt like an easier blow and I could now play G's open. 11AX was the mp recommended. C's tend to be sharp, but with a Warburton 6S/6 backbore easier lipped down over the 8* or 10*. Played a Yamaha 3 valve/4th rotor for a short time and thought it was a wonderful sounding pic. Then had a friends long bell Yamaha,(Can't remember the model) and thought that it had a warmer sound than the Schilke. It also played well in tune. I have a P7 that I love to play, still on the light/bright side though. Well in tune and just a comfortable blow. Low F's are non existent, though.
I agree with Andy on the price points. If you are at the level of playing to buy and play a pic, you should start with a Schilke or Yamaha. Build quality is great on both horns and there is resale when you go shopping for the grail.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played many if not most of the piccs currently available. I currently play a Schilke P7-4, which I really like. For sound quality alone,, I think the Scherzer has the best sound of anything I have played. However, playing it in tune is more of a challenge that with the Schilke. At that level, I would look at the Schilke P5-4, which I owned before the P7-4. The Adams picc and the Shires picc are also worth taking a look at. The Yamahas play great and have excellent intonation, but I find the sound somewhat "sterile".
markolen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my Selmer Piccolo. A reliable and wonderful instrument ..
it certainly worked for Maurice Andre
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Getzen Eterna picc from my college trumpet instructor in 1985. I'd heard him play it numerous times and knew it could sound great. My prof had just upgraded to a picc he was excited about and was delighted to sell the Getzen to me for $325.

A year later he was trying to convince me to trade the Getzen back to him, in exchange for any number of horns I wasn't interested in.

To this day the Getzen is the only piccolo trumpet I've ever played. I've had numerous opportunities to play other piccs, but have resisted the temptation. It works, and it's the Devil I know. I get the occasional job because I play picc, and (as far as I know) I've never lost a job because I play a Getzen.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an early Yamaha 915 new in 1981. I tried all the newer ones and still prefer it. I bought a newer 9810s for my son. It’s a slightly larger bore than the 915. It’s a nice horn but I still keep coming back to the 915. Karl Hammond makes a good piccolo/lead mouthpiece he labels the 7 SP. I haven’t seen it on his website but I like it on all the smaller horns and can get away with using it on a C or big B flat for those times when quick horn swapping is needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: