• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Could anatomy prevent high range development?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, anatomy can have an impact. But...it's complicated.

There's a reason some people seem to have a natural affinity for the trumpet and others less so, along a continuum.

I think teeth are an important element. I notice that a lot of strong players have thin lips and straight, short teeth. James Morrison, Scott Englebright, Doc, Lynn Nicholson, Lin Biviano, Bud Herseth, Dave Stahl, Rafael Mendez and on and on.

I was always one of the strugglers as far as range and chops in general. The whole of what I've done over the years to fix it is kind of involved but one of the things I did that made an immediate difference was cut down the length of my front upper incisors - not a huge amount, maybe a couple of millimeters or so, to where they're even with the other incisors. Notes began speaking more easily and higher notes came out more readily. That wasn't the only change I made - I've reworked how I interact with the mouthpiece also made my placement more centered, expanded my overall awareness of what's going on when I play - and mouthpiece changes have made a difference as well. I don't have what I consider ideal physical tools to play trumpet, but I've gone from pretty much anything over the staff being a question mark back when I was at the SOM to having a pretty strong Ab over high C and double C's happening more and more frequently.

I too went to the SOM struggling with embouchure issues - I don't think it's a good environment to rectify chops problems since you're on a predetermined time frame. Throwing lots of practice hours at you sounds like the SOM way - maybe useful if you're just lazy but it's an ineffective, blunt instrument approach if the problem you're having is due to embouchure mechanics. Hours and hours of practice won't by itself have much positive impact if you're putting in the hours using the same dysfunctional approach.

I can't say whether your lateral incisors are causing a problem. I would think the central incisors are the most crucial but I've never personally dealt with your specific issue. Is your embouchure pretty much centered?

Are you able to put up video say on Youtube and link to it here to get some kind of more specific impression of what you're doing when you play?
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Yes, anatomy can have an impact. But...it's complicated.

There's a reason some people seem to have a natural affinity for the trumpet and others less so, along a continuum.

I think teeth are an important element. I notice that a lot of strong players have thin lips and straight, short teeth. James Morrison, Scott Englebright, Doc, Lynn Nicholson, Lin Biviano, Bud Herseth, Dave Stahl, Rafael Mendez and on and on.

I was always one of the strugglers as far as range and chops in general. The whole of what I've done over the years to fix it is kind of involved but one of the things I did that made an immediate difference was cut down the length of my front upper incisors - not a huge amount, maybe a couple of millimeters or so, to where they're even with the other incisors. Notes began speaking more easily and higher notes came out more readily. That wasn't the only change I made - I've reworked how I interact with the mouthpiece also made my placement more centered, expanded my overall awareness of what's going on when I play - and mouthpiece changes have made a difference as well. I don't have what I consider ideal physical tools to play trumpet, but I've gone from pretty much anything over the staff being a question mark back when I was at the SOM to having a pretty strong Ab over high C and double C's happening more and more frequently.

I too went to the SOM struggling with embouchure issues - I don't think it's a good environment to rectify chops problems since you're on a predetermined time frame. Throwing lots of practice hours at you sounds like the SOM way - maybe useful if you're just lazy but it's an ineffective, blunt instrument approach if the problem you're having is due to embouchure mechanics. Hours and hours of practice won't by itself have much positive impact if you're putting in the hours using the same dysfunctional approach.

I can't say whether your lateral incisors are causing a problem. I would think the central incisors are the most crucial but I've never personally dealt with your specific issue. Is your embouchure pretty much centered?

Are you able to put up video say on Youtube and link to it here to get some kind of more specific impression of what you're doing when you play?

I'm interested in what led you to have your teeth shortened. Maybe there is another thread you discuss this in that I haven't seen? Was there someone that shared information about dental work for trumpet players with you, or did you read something? Was your dentist knowledgeable in brass playing and how did you decide on how much to shorten them? Thanks!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
Robert P wrote:
The whole of what I've done over the years to fix it is kind of involved but one of the things I did that made an immediate difference was cut down the length of my front upper incisors - not a huge amount, maybe a couple of millimeters or so, to where they're even with the other incisors. Notes began speaking more easily and higher notes came out more readily.

I'm interested in what led you to have your teeth shortened. Maybe there is another thread you discuss this in that I haven't seen? Was there someone that shared information about dental work for trumpet players with you, or did you read something? Was your dentist knowledgeable in brass playing and how did you decide on how much to shorten them? Thanks!

Having my teeth shortened was based on a hunch, and somewhat motivated by exasperation - I felt like my incisors were getting in the way. As previously noted, I had long observed that a lot of good players seemed to have a similar kind of physiognomy.

It made sense to me that having teeth intruding in the airway could be a hindrance, and it seemed more overhang of the lip over the top teeth would be good for trumpet playing purposes. I had a dentist take off a little, then I took off a little more myself with an emery board, just to the point where my central incisors are even with the lateral incisors. The dentist didn't know a thing about brass issues.

It made a difference for the better. I like it better cosmetically as well though that wasn't a factor in deciding to try it. It didn't cure all my woes but it definitely improved things.

As a note, Doc's incisors besides being short also have a bit of a gap between the central incisors. I believe this helps rifle air through. He let me have a closeup look at his teeth when I saw him play at a little hole in the wall place years ago with his Xebron group. His tops are really straight, his bottom teeth aren't as straight. You can see a pretty clear pic of his uppers with his gap in evidence on the cover of his "Doc" album. There's also a less in-focus shot on his album "I Feel Good".
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: