• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Discoveries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Discoveries Reply with quote

I´ve posted a couple of times describing my difficulties combining lead trumpet with front row brassband cornet. Complicating also that I rehearse with the big band Wednesday, brass band Thursday.
Problem often that my lips started swelling during the brass band rehearsal - often towards the end of the first one hour and a half - after the break somewhat easier.
So I decided to conduct an experiment. Last week I brought mý cornet along to the big band rehearsal - in fact my spare cornet, a Yamaha 2330II since the 3850 was at the horn repair man´s. The Yamaha has in itself a smaller tonal spectrum, more bright. I used my cornet custom made mpc Schilke 14 3D3.
Guess what - I had no problems playing/enduring - cealing in the scores E - in fact I felt more comfortable.... Among the charts April in Paris - the original one including the solo and "one more once".
Then rehearsing with the brass band - still lipswelling! What to do - this week big band rehearsal I brought along my fantastic Yamaha 6335RC - but with the same mouthpiece, (trumpet version) Schilke 14 3D3. And the result was?
I could play as high and for as long I wanted - same nice feeling, in spite of this rather deep mouthpiece.
And what happened during the brass band rehearsal? Tendency to lip swelling but not as severe as before. Having used same mpc in both bands.
My own thinking circles around 1)different registers - in the big band mostly from C in the staff up to Eb E, D rather frequent - brass band from A below staff up to high C, G/A/B/C top of staff only now and then. 2)(Modern) Big band charts provide some rest - brass band charts do not...Yesterday we were only two guys(me 77, he 78..) front row playing heavy christmas carols, church music. I´ll test the 14 3D3 Monday in the swingband, few opportunities to rest in that type of music.
And the very nice feeling with this rather big/deep mouthpiece (for lead that is) - able to play as high, not getting tired at all!?!Bigger not to say greater sound than with my ordinary trumpet mouthpiece, the Schilke 14B. To be honest that mpc allows a more secure Eb/E. I know tighter mpc:s requires more skill. And I´m an amateur.
Might add that when I played soprano I had no problems switching from sop to trumpet. But then I was 20 years younger.

Anyhow:I´m very interested in ideas from you guys! So please! Christmas time and all...
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Seymour
what mpc do you play usually for the big band ?
my guess is that like you say, these are two different jobs : in the brass band you have only few rests...
Plus, and this is my main guess, you perhaps allow too much lip protrusion in the cup.
i prefer to avoid it while playing in my deep mpcs (Bach A cup depth kind for my "classical" mpc, and deep V cup for the flug), and i play rather on resonance, which at the end help me to have a large resonant sound, while being able to switch easily to my lead mpc anytime.
best
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
hello Seymour
my guess is that like you say, these are two different jobs : in the brass band you have only few rests...
Plus, and this is my main guess, you perhaps allow too much lip protrusion in the cup.
i prefer to avoid it while playing in my deep mpcs (Bach A cup depth kind for my "classical" mpc, and deep V cup for the flug), and i play rather on resonance, which at the end help me to have a large resonant sound, while being able to switch easily to my lead mpc anytime.
best

Interesting thought! Then I have no problems using a Superchops 1 mouthpiece, shallow indeed - reason I don´t use it on a regular basis is that I find the sound quite nasal - with a laser beam projection.. My present lead mpc is a Schilke 14B. As I own Schilke 14B, Schilke 14, Schilke 14 D3D I can notice the sound getting bigger/warmer/richer going from shallow/V to deeper/C.
Also, higher up my top lip does not intrude, leaning towards RI the BE style.
But - I´ll experiment using a very deep cornet piece, Wick Ultra 1,5 and the Superchops 1! Antidotes! However, bit weird - almost identical rims!
ps playing on "resonance"?? Don´t we all? Or? Please specify!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
hello Seymour
best

JVL! Thanks! You made me reread the BE book thereby finding mr Smileys suggestions regarding "collapsed embouchure". Meaning you were right, too much lip protrusion!!! So now I use one of mr Smileys suggestions and - what a difference. Even made the transition to cornet easier - this after 20 days trumpet practicing.....
I will not disclose what I found....those really interested can search the BE department
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Seymour,
happy to know you resolved these issues !
one point, for me, rather roll out type player, the not protruding lip technic has not as much to do with ri or ro, but with your coordination to keep a tonic embouchure with the elevators and depressors orb. muscles. Lynn Nicholson talks also about how a V cup don't let you protruding as much as a C cup.

As for resonance, playing pp or ppp with clean clear sound and controlled aperture (not pinched but open enough), allows me to play loud thanks more to the resonance acquired on the lips, than by forcing the blow.
sorry if the terms employed are not right, my english is poor...
best
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
hello Seymour,
happy to know you resolved these issues !
one point, for me, rather roll out type player, the not protruding lip technic has not as much to do with ri or ro, but with your coordination to keep a tonic embouchure with the elevators and depressors orb. muscles. Lynn Nicholson talks also about how a V cup don't let you protruding as much as a C cup.

As for resonance, playing pp or ppp with clean clear sound and controlled aperture (not pinched but open enough), allows me to play loud thanks more to the resonance acquired on the lips, than by forcing the blow.
sorry if the terms employed are not right, my english is poor...
best

hallo JVL: moi non plus parle Anglais parfaitment - obviously not the French... but I try to do my very best...like you! Yes my sound suddenly acquired a much richer timbre (and I have played since 1958 - probably age something to do with the phenomena itself as I used to have a rather nice sound..).There´s another variable - lead trumpet register often one octave higher than the front row cornet chair - suddenly I play a lot below G on staff - not that common playing lead. But - that suggestion of mr Smiley, prompted by you was truly beneficial. Re-discovery!
Not pinched, no flat chin - and my mouthpieces have V cups!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great Seymor ! Enjoy !
gott kvöld (some of what i remember of icelandic
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
great Seymor ! Enjoy !
gott kvöld (some of what i remember of icelandic

you see - I may live in the far north, but in fact from my home to the northern border of Sweden ......2000 km.....Hence I live opposite Copenhagen. Iceland, well, some of us migrated 1000 years ago to this island, found it cold and renamed it......
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: