• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Type IIIA Bottom Lip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Type IIIA Bottom Lip Reply with quote

Hello,

I was typed by a prominent Riehnardt teacher, a killing player, and an all around helpful guy as a IIIA, or a "stone cold IIIA", as he put it. He's given me some great exercises that are definitely helping me improve but there's one thing that I struggle with. I'm extremely high placement so the mouthpiece tends to sit on the lower lip a bit which is where my troubles begin. The lower lip tends to get squished and distorted which can take away most if not all the strength in my sound and harm my range. It also will tend to feel as though the lower lip is going to fall out of the piece, especially in the lower register and once I've gotten to that place getting back above the staff is difficult to say the least.

Any tips for the lower lip on a IIIA? Any tips in general to help this IIIA get everything working efficiently?

Thanks
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm neither a 3A nor an experienced Reinhardt guy, so when Rich inevitably arrives, his advice trumps mine by a long way...

Are you aware of when the mouthpiece shift you describe is happening? Could it be whilst taking breaths? If so, a conscious decision to keep the mouthpiece weight on the lower lip whilst breathing through the corners might help.

To be honest, the best way to get those hints is with someone who knows what they're looking at - more lessons with the guy you mention will do you more good than a thousand hours of internet reading.
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a IIIA, and had to do some work with placement when I was first typed. I think the best way to work on it is to contact one of the Reinhardt teachers and get the right 'prescription' to work on the specific problem. For me, walking in really helped dial in my placement.
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah thanks for the advice guys. Will definitely continue taking lessons but unfortunately it's over skype and not regular. I'm happy with how my overall playing progressing, it's just this one thing I'd like to focus on improving.

The shift happens most when I'm going into the lower register and then it stays that way. I find that that holds true even if I warm up in the lower register, but if I don't play down there including during the warm up my lower lip is much more sturdy and less likely to do weird stuff
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Descending properly is the key to good brass playing"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: