• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Benge slde bumpers

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnfin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Benge slde bumpers Reply with quote

My 79 benge cg has slide silencers, are these original and where can i buy them?

shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Benge slde bumpers Reply with quote

johnfin wrote:
My 79 benge cg has slide silencers, are these original and where can i buy them?

They are not original. I had a '76 Benge 5X. I've seen a number of vintage Benge horns from that era and none of them had the rubber rings. I'm sure you could get them from Allied Music, which is a parts supply company owned by Getzen.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.grainger.com/category/hardware/o-rings-and-o-ring-kits/o-rings?attrs=O-Ring+Material%7CBuna+N&filters=attrs
Tom Getzen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:21 am    Post subject: Allied Supply Reply with quote

Brian,thanks for the mention but Allied Supply is a wholesale only company,selling only to music stores and repair shops. We suggest contacting your local music store or tech to purchase our products.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some similar bands from an orthodontist - they are (used to be?) part of teeth braces.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've picked them up from the hardware store before (just make sure you bring some of yours for comparison).

I only ever used them on lacquer horns so the rubber wasn't a concern, but check your local store for their options.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not what was asked, but....

Just my two cents: adding those to any horn not originally designed for them doesn’t seem like a good idea, even though it’s of course very easily reversible. Can that very small amount of length added to the slides make any difference? Maybe, I subscribe to the “everything affects something” theory. And as Brian mentioned, no, they were not original on Benges.

I’ve personally never seen the need for them, the very slight click of retracting the slide really isn’t audible to anyone other than the player, and even in recording (admittedly my recording studio experience is somewhat limited, though I have done some), they just seem unnecessary to me. And as mentioned, be careful about any rubber coming into contact with silver, I once used a hair tie on my Benge slide, apparently there was rubber underneath the fabric covering, it left a permanent small black mark.

Brad
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
This is not what was asked, but....

Just my two cents: adding those to any horn not originally designed for them doesn’t seem like a good idea, even though it’s of course very easily reversible. Can that very small amount of length added to the slides make any difference? Maybe, I subscribe to the “everything affects something” theory. And as Brian mentioned, no, they were not original on Benges.

Brad

While it's true that they aren't factory-original equipment, I like them on my Benges. The Getzen ring is the thinnest and is insignificant in altering pitch, but King and Yamaha also make different o-rings, which you might be able to buy from a repair shop. Most hardware stores have o-rings as well, probably a #6 or 7 would be right for most trumpets.
https://yourbrass.com/
Tuningbell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Trumpet-Cornet-Tuning-Rubber-Stopper/dp/B01N01OUZF
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuningbell wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Trumpet-Cornet-Tuning-Rubber-Stopper/dp/B01N01OUZF

I would not use rubber.

Brad
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless a conductor or band leader complains, I wouldn't worry about it.

I also had a Benge 5X (SN 84xx) ca. 1972, brand new and it did not have O rings.

Yamaha tech, Wayne Tanabe, says the the 'O' rings, leather valve guards, and rubber or synthetic waterkey corks dampen the sound of the instrument.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:

I also had a Benge 5X (SN 84xx) ca. 1972, brand new and it did not have O rings.

Yamaha tech, Wayne Tanabe, says the the 'O' rings, leather valve guards, and rubber or synthetic waterkey corks dampen the sound of the instrument.

That makes sense. I once put a leather valve guard on a Getzen Severinsen....for about five minutes; it very noticeably deadened the horn.

Brad
KjetilS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:

That makes sense. I once put a leather valve guard on a Getzen Severinsen....for about five minutes; it very noticeably deadened the horn.

Brad

I do not doubt this deadening effect is a real issue, as it is beeing claimed by a lot of experienced players. However I struggle to understand how this thin leather / rubber cover can add anything of significance to the 80+/- kg of human body allready clinging to the valve casing.
Carolbrass 6882T Cornet
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KjetilS wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:

Brad

I do not doubt this deadening effect is a real issue, as it is beeing claimed by a lot of experienced players. However I struggle to understand how this thin leather / rubber cover can add anything of significance to the 80+/- kg of human body allready clinging to the valve casing.

Wayne suggested: Use one to protect the instrument but take it off a day or two prior to a critical performance for the sound.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KjetilS wrote:
I do not doubt this deadening effect is a real issue, as it is being claimed by a lot of experienced players. However I struggle to understand how this thin leather / rubber cover can add anything of significance to the 80+/- kg of human body already clinging to the valve casing.

That is an interesting point. I share your confusion. Does anyone have an answer?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the leather valve cover, it probably has to do with the amount of surface area that is involved.

And then there's the whole question about how much they affect what the player senses, and how much the audience can detect.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
KjetilS wrote:
I do not doubt this deadening effect is a real issue, as it is being claimed by a lot of experienced players. However I struggle to understand how this thin leather / rubber cover can add anything of significance to the 80+/- kg of human body already clinging to the valve casing.

That is an interesting point. I share your confusion. Does anyone have an answer?

I don’t have an answer, but when I tried one (made by Leather Specialties) on a Getzen Severinsen, it was very noticeable. BTW, I don’t think it was placebo effect because I had expected it to to affect the horn.

Brad
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
KjetilS wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:

Brad

Wayne suggested: Use one to protect the instrument but take it off a day or two prior to a critical performance for the sound.

BTW This was demonstrated at an ITG Conference cliinic in front of a room full of trumpet players.
KjetilS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:
KjetilS wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:

Brad

BTW This was demonstrated at an ITG Conference cliinic in front of a room full of trumpet players.

Yes it is a mystery to me. I would expect the size of ones hands and how much pressure one use holding the trumpet to have a lot more influence on sound than a thin valve guard. I dont use a valve guard so it does not matter to me, but I just find it strange. Will thin leather gloves have the same effect?
Carolbrass 6882T Cornet
walldaja

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them on all my trumpets, get them at Home Depot in the O-ring section. Easy to do a "before / after" and see if there is any dampening.

Sonare TRC-800, Dennis Wick 1.5C
Blessing Standard, Denis Wick 1.5C
Accent TR959 CDB C tpt Stork XM2 Studio Mstr
Jupiter 846S Flug Schilke 18F
Shires Q30GR T-bone 5 / 4 CL
Yamaha YBL-421G T-bone 2 CL
Jean Baptist Euphonium Stork 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: