• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Cichowicz Flow studies volume 1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Cichowicz Flow studies volume 1 Reply with quote

Thinking of getting this book. Is it worth the $40? Is there a better flow studies book out there? How does it compare to the long tone studies and the other volumes of flow studies?

Much appreciated, thanks
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether or not it's worth $40.00 depends on you. I would get his Flow Studies and Long Tones books and pay them close attention.

http://studio259productions.com/products

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is $32.95 very well spent if it helps you learn to maintain air flow, take "musical" breaths, etc.

"Flow Studies" 1&2 are compilations of vocalises and etudes from Berdiev, Bordogni, Brandt, Clarke, Laurent, Williams...that were used by Cichowicz to help students reinforce via application what they had leaned through his "Long Tone Studies" (and then Clarke's "Technical Studies"). So, they are a conceptual extension of "Long Studies," which is a good starting point.

Edit: And to respond to the rest of your question, I don’t think there is a better collection of flow studies available to help a trumpet player apply the principles (from “Long Tone Studies”). John Korak's collection of "Bel Canto Studies" is the closest book I can think of. Tony Plog's terrific method (volume 1) also has some nice flow studies – “warm up etudes” – as well as studies similar to Cichowicz's long tone studies.

Good luck!
aaron
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - one of the most valuable books out there today. The whole project (Long Tone Studies + Flow Studies Vol. 1 and Vol. 2) is excellent, with a ton of extra articles and advice and useful recordings. Easily worth the price.
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Cichowicz connected to James Stamp? From the snippets of Cichowicz I've seen, they are very similar to Stamp methods. Not saying one is better than the other, I'm just curious about the connection (or who published first).
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthes93401 wrote:
Is Cichowicz connected to James Stamp? From the snippets of Cichowicz I've seen, they are very similar to Stamp methods. Not saying one is better than the other, I'm just curious about the connection (or who published first).

The Stamp I use was put forth by Tom Stevens. Has "accompaniment CDs in Bb and C so you can play along- Stamp used to play the exercises on the piano with the student playing trumpet. BIM Edition, buy about anywhere.

The Chicowicz Flow Studies are copies of the original hand manuscript VC would use with students, compiled and published by his son, Michael, and Mark Dulin. Balquihidder Pubs.

Both are standard lit and maintennance for natural trumpet playing and should be in every player and teacher's library. I'm not sure there was ever a real "connection" between the two. If I were to make a comparison I'd say that the flow studies material is more about starting and moving wind throughout the range of the instrument in a natural and relaxed manner, learning to smooth out the hitches and excess tension points as we ascend and descend. Having spent a few minutes at a music camp teaching gig with Ron Room, his explanation of Stamp's exercise/warm ups was to start out and return the embouchure each day to it's most efficient and natural playing position. (I'm not making light of the use of wind and relieving tension- it's laid out in Stevens' text in the book..) I think his (Romm's) words were that "after chewing his chops up all night playing long gigs on Friday night he'd run over to Stamp's studio early Sat morning and see if he could put him back together again". (Paraphrase)

I still have some of VC's original copies from years back, he was in and out of Schilke's shop many of the Saturdays I was there trying to learn something. Hope all his makes sense to someone...

(Edited for clarity)

Last edited by Craig Swartz on Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
matthes93401
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great background details on VC and JS. Much appreciated!
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the answer to your question is, "no, they are not connected"

Just so happens they were saying the same thing, just different ways.
Good Ol' Boy ID#3624360
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: