• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ACB 2RL, Manchester Brass RL-GB or Adams Prologue???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billm67

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:18 am    Post subject: ACB 2RL, Manchester Brass RL-GB or Adams Prologue??? Reply with quote

I am a comeback player that has been playing on a student horn for the last four months. I am looking for a budget friendly horn that will be a good step up from the Getzen 490 I am playing. I am specifically having issues with the slotting in the c/d/e flat area on my current horn. All three look like they would be good step up /pro quality horns. I am looking for an all around horn and would like to get involved in a community band in 2020. Any feedback you can provide would be a great help.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: ACB 2RL, Manchester Brass RL-GB or Adams Prologue??? Reply with quote

billm67 wrote:
I am a comeback player that has been playing on a student horn for the last four months. I am looking for a budget friendly horn that will be a good step up from the Getzen 490 I am playing. I am specifically having issues with the slotting in the c/d/e flat area on my current horn.

Why on earth exchange your current student model trumpet to another student model trumpet?

Getzen makes great horns, I doubt that your slotting issues are caused by your Getzen 490.

If you want to make a step forward better spend your money to a so called pro horn, when you are tight on budget better go look for a second hand pro horn
steevo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with Manuel. In fact, I would very much prefer a Getzen 490 to the other trumpets you mentioned.

That doesn't mean that there aren't issues to address. I would suggest to have your Getzen looked at by a competent repair technician. All trumpets need to be maintained. It is very possible that your trumpet may need to be cleaned, and have the valves aligned.

You don't necessarily need a fancy "precision valve alignment", but I think a regular valve alignment may work just fine. The technician can also check to see if there is something wacky with your mouthpiece gap, and have a solution if that is an issue. Your Getzen is really a fine trumpet in design and construction. It is better than most student and so called "step-up" horns.

As a comeback player, you may also want to consider taking some lessons to get you back on track. Even if you don't want to take lessons on a regular basis, a handful of lessons may really help giving you the right momentum.

I wish you the best of luck!

-Steve
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can’t speak to two of those three horns, but I did own the Manchester Brass mentioned. (I also own one of their flugels, DEFINITELY pro level).
IMO, it absolutely did not play like a student horn, it’s not marketed as a student horn either. I thought it was comparable to a Carol Brass pro level instrument ...that I also owned.

Brad
billm67

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing that everyone is talking more along the lines of a bach 37 or a Yamaha...but not having much of a selection selection in Central PA I am concerned of buying a used horn on-line. I was looking at some of the Carol Brass horns...such as the 5060h silver...but are they in the same league as the Bach and Yamaha?
austincustombrass
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billm67 wrote:
I am guessing that everyone is talking more along the lines of a bach 37 or a Yamaha...but not having much of a selection selection in Central PA I am concerned of buying a used horn on-line. I was looking at some of the Carol Brass horns...such as the 5060h silver...but are they in the same league as the Bach and Yamaha?

If you'd like to discuss any of the horns you mentioned with us just give us a call at 816-410-0826. We have hundreds of horns in stock including Bach and Yamaha.

Thanks,

ACB

It's a shame how far this forum has fallen. If you need us call 816-410-0826 or email.

Cool Links here:
https://linktr.ee/austincustombrass
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billm67 wrote:
... but not having much of a selection selection in Central PA I am concerned of buying a used horn on-line.

---------------------
you might want to periodically check the craigslist for State College PA -

https://pennstate.craigslist.org/search/msg

My guess is that good instruments are listed there fairly frequently.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the RL-GB and currently own the Adams ACB horn which is essentially a Prologue with some ACB "tweaks". I've also had Yamaha pro horns, Carol Brass pro horns , Jupiter Pro Horns, Getzen pro horns and Kanstul pro horns.

I think both the RL-GB and the Adams/ACB horns are completely the equal of those pro horns. In fact the Adams/ACB has the best valves and 1st/3rd valve slides I've ever used.

Give ACB a call.
billm67

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update...I ended up buying a Carol Brass 5060h. I've had it for less than 24 hours and I love the horn. I gave it a bath and cleaned the valves and it feels great. The valves need broken in but it's already a great horn. It is so easy to play and and the slotting is so much better. Thanks for everyone's help in my search for this horn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: