• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Issues with Lotus mouthpiece

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmaassen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Issues with Lotus mouthpiece Reply with quote

Hello,

About two and a half months ago I purchased a 2M+ lotus mouthpiece after hanging with Adam Rapa a little bit. Since then, I've had sort of good days where my range and tone were solid, and absolutely horrible days where I couldn't play above the staff. While I hoped that over time the issue would go away, it seems like I still have major problems. Over the past couple days I've been really working on not using pressure with the mouthpiece and I can barely hit a G above the staff.

When I met with Adam he told me that I was a "textbook shitter" and that I work way too hard when I play. At the time I thought he was just saying that I have some chop issues, but now I'm beginning to think he was saying I need an entire embouchure change. While I do set slightly low, other teachers I have had have told me that my embouchure is fine.

Is there any sort of exercise I can do to work on getting more used to this mouthpiece? I feel like I have to work 10x harder with it than with other pieces. I'm also beginning to worry that my overall setup is completely wrong. Any words of advice would be super helpful, thanks.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is that if your mouthpiece is causing you that many problems, you should throw it in the trash.

Or sell it to some other unlucky soul in the Marketplace here.

Trumpet is hard enough without fighting your gear!
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Lotus Reply with quote

Maybe your chops are hitting the side of the cup. You might need more undercut on a mouthpiece. I played on the 3M+ and I sound much better on the 3L+. The M cup just didn't work for me.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
hard to say here...
but to add things to bebop's post, indeed sometimes it can be caused by rim contour, cup shape, backbore size & shape, not to talk about ID & OD that you supposed are right for you, and your embouchure we don't see, your practice etc...

i'd have lessons with Bobby Shew, face to face, he knows about chops, practice, mpcs, horns etc.
best
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you said:

“Is there any sort of exercise I can do to work on getting more used to this mouthpiece? I feel like I have to work 10x harder with it than with other pieces. I'm also beginning to worry that my overall setup is completely wrong. Any words of advice would be super helpful, thanks.”

Why would you put this much effort into acclimating to a MOUTHPIECE?? Is it because Rapa endorses it? Do you think he would work 10 times harder to acclimate to a MOUTHPIECE?

I have no idea whether you have embouchure problems or not, but again....(see my first sentence). No disrespect intended here, but IMO, your time would be better spent practicing on a mouthpiece that seems to work well for you fairly early on, rather than fighting a possibly losing battle with one that may never work well for you.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just another random on the internet, so please don't take my thoughts as gospel, but for what it's worth:

Adam Rapa sounds great on Lotus gear, sounded great on Monette gear before that, and no doubt on whatever he played before that. He may prefer the Lotus stuff, and that's cool, but it's definitely not the key to his success, and I'd like to respectfully suggest that it's not going to be the key to yours either.

It sounds like this mouthpiece really isn't working for you. Rather than trying to change yourself to fit a mouthpiece, why not just go back to whatever you were playing before?
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with Lotus mouthpiece Reply with quote

bmaassen wrote:
Hello,

About two and a half months ago I purchased a 2M+ lotus mouthpiece after hanging with Adam Rapa a little bit. Since then, I've had sort of good days where my range and tone were solid, and absolutely horrible days where I couldn't play above the staff. While I hoped that over time the issue would go away, it seems like I still have major problems. Over the past couple days I've been really working on not using pressure with the mouthpiece and I can barely hit a G above the staff.

Bin the mouthpiece. That is a no brainer. Now go back to your old one.
Quote:

When I met with Adam he told me that I was a "textbook shitter" and that I work way too hard when I play.

I reckon you need to look wat this phrase again, as it stuck a chord with me. Think of - quoting and relying on ‘texts’, or trumpet books rather than just getting on the horn with a few simple concepts and WORK.

Of course, I may be wrong. Why not get in touch with Adam Rapa and ask him?

Cheers

Andy
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Issues with Lotus mouthpiece Reply with quote

bmaassen wrote:
Hello,
When I met with Adam he told me that I was a "textbook shitter" and that I work way too hard when I play.

Sounds like me
I play a 2L and I did need some time to adjust.
I watched/listened to Adams youtube clips a lot ... and the main thing he keeps hammering on is playing with less effort.
So I started doing daily routines using Caruso exercises.
Now a few months down the road, I can honestly say I play with a lot less effort (more flexibility, less power) getting better results than before.
When using my GR once in a while, I now also play with less effort on that one but I'm not hitting the notes with sames ease and accuracy as with the Lotus.
Also with the Lotus, I've added a few notes to my range (which was not really a necessity, but always nice and fun )
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go to a shoe store, I shop for something that fits me, not something that fits someone else. You should take the same approach to mouthpieces.

After you get something that works for now, hang with someone who will suggest ways to improve your chops, not someone who just labels them as "textbook shitter" You can always fine tune your mouthpiece choice after you learn to play.

Alan
mbauer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian!
Total bummer about the mouthpiece. I've got a couple a couple of ACB ones you can try next week if you want to see if they're a better fit.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few reactions to this post. First of all sorry to hear you are having problems playing, its always a drag to be feeling like you are doing everything wrong. I've been there.
Secondly, the "textbook shitter" statement I don't think has to do with your chops I think its more about how you blow the trumpet and use your body while you play. To me textbook shitter (and I've also watched vids of Adam talking about this) means you use a lot of force, strain, and overblowing to get your sound to be big.
Third, the deal with Lotus and Monette mouthpieces, that have a shorter shank and more open throat/backbore, -the claims that those manufacturers make and all the info about acclimation- I do in fact believe in. I believe the Lotus could work for you even though others are saying get rid of it. If you do keep playing the Lotus, my advice is really focus on keeping shoulders down, neck relaxed above the spine, and not overblowing. Don't beat yourself up - I recommend playing everything really really soft for a week. Don't even play above mezzopiano.
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played monette's for about seven years of my playing career and I've spent a fair time on Lotus mouthpieces too. I have similar problems that you're describing every time I go from a Monette standard to The Prana, and similar with the Lotus standard to the Plus. Those mouthpieces need you to play 100% relaxed or else it will not work for you. If you can play with 100% relaxation which most people can't then the mouthpiece will play great but if you have any tension they'll shut off on you completely. If you like the rim and sound of the lotus but still have these playing issues, then try the standard model and tell us what you think.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two cents, but I don’t see the value in spending significant amounts of time or effort in order to acclimate to a mouthpiece, most of us have access to many choices in relatively inexpensive equipment that should work just fine without the time expenditure.

Brad
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Just my two cents, but I don’t see the value in spending significant amounts of time or effort in order to acclimate to a mouthpiece, most of us have access to many choices in relatively inexpensive equipment that should work just fine without the time expenditure.

Brad

Very fair point, and one that I used to believe myself. However I now think there is value in making the adjustment to gear that can open up new possibilities/better results in your playing and lead you to a much more relaxed way of playing than would be possible on more conventional equipment.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
... I now think there is value in making the adjustment to gear that can open up new possibilities/better results in your playing and lead you to a much more relaxed way of playing than would be possible on more conventional equipment.

--------------------------------------------
The tricky part is "that can open ..." -
can ? will ? might ? hopefully ? claimed to ? that I was told ?

It depends on how you evaluate the possibility for success.

Sometimes dancing on the edge just makes your feet hurt.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Jaw04 wrote:
... I now think there is value in making the adjustment to gear that can open up new possibilities/better results in your playing and lead you to a much more relaxed way of playing than would be possible on more conventional equipment.

It depends on how you evaluate the possibility for success.

Sometimes dancing on the edge just makes your feet hurt.

Jay
Yep, this is a complicated topic. There is merit to the advice of, if its not helping you why waste time and money on it? There is also merit to going through an adjustment period in order to achieve results. If I had a mouthpiece as long as the OP and it wasn't getting easier to play, I might admittedly ditch it myself. However, I believe the Lotus mouthpiece design is awesome, and have personally had a lot of success with it. I also believe if you don't change your approach away from lots of pressure and physical strain, the mouthpiece will not work for you. It is also my belief that the same change in technique to make a Lotus mouthpiece work is beneficial for any trumpet player regardless of what mouthpiece they play, but it is especially apparent with a Lotus mouthpiece.
I used to play Monette pieces and decided they were not helping me. I sold them all and with great satisfaction got some "cheap" Bach and Yamaha mouthpieces and bragged about how I could buy 4 mouthpieces for the price of 1 of my old ones. But after a few more rotations around the sun, I realized my problems with the Monette pieces not because they were not useful but because I just wasn't playing with good technique. And with that wisdom that comes with time and practice, I got a Lotus mouthpiece and immediately had awesome results and haven't had any letdowns since (about 3 months ago). I guess the point of my anecdote is that I really believe the OP CAN acclimate to the piece, and if they are still interested in making it work, nobody else should tell them not to do so.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
Jaw04 wrote:
... I now think there is value in making the adjustment to gear that can open up new possibilities/better results in your playing

It boils down to whether you believe in the product and the claims made by Lotus. If Lotus mouthpieces are like Monette Pranas, then playing high on the pitch will destroy tone, range, and endurance while playing on the low end will open up the sound and make playing easier. It about how you hear yourself and less about technique in my opinion. I think the OP should keep playing the Lotus mouthpiece.
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still baffled as to what a "textbook shitter" is... I've never read a textbook on shitting but I imagine it's not great. Is this a reference to playing with strain? I'm pretty sure that whether it's playing trumpet or pooping, too much strain is never a good sign... curious analogy, really.

Also, if he thinks you play with too much strain then it's not an embouchure issue. Remember, "it's a wind instrument, not a lip instrument."
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin_soda wrote:
I'm still baffled as to what a "textbook shitter" is...

-------------------------------------
I've always understood that the use of 'textbook' in that formation to mean -
'the prototypical type of an' xxxx , or perhaps
'an excellent standard type of an' xxxx.
It has nothing to do with an xxxx DOING anything with a textbook.
It is used as an adjective to emphasize the quality of the xxxx that is present. For example, the type of xxxx that would be described in a textbook.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:39 pm    Post subject: Issues with a Lotus mouthpiece Reply with quote

I haven't yet ascended to the top of the mountain so I have no clue what a "textbook shitter" is, but have you thought of simply going back to the mouthpiece or pieces you used and were satisfied with previously and give them a month or two try again. It couldn't hurt to try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: