• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The Last of the Wild Thing Line

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mnc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a Celebration since 2015, it's an amazing horn and as an amateur player it has greatly helped my playing. It would be a huge
loss if someone didn't archive his knowledge and designs somehow.
Seems somebody or bodies in this community could find a way.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mnc wrote:

Quote:
It would be a huge

I think this would fall to you and Flip, Brian...a deserving project for posterity.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Why is this so wide?

I believe this was caused by the quote of the original post.

If Michael Drapp would edit his post and remove the quoted photos I believe the page would display better. The photos do not need to be repeated anyway.

Large-sized photos seem to be displayed in an appropriate size and expand when selected so you can view the larger size. The quoting does not down-size them and instead displays them as full size which messes with the page.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
Mnc wrote:

Quote:
It would be a huge

I think this would fall to you and Flip, Brian...a deserving project for posterity.

I've talked to Flip in the past about writing such a book. Maybe I will bring it up again.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
I hope and pray that Flip gets to better health and goes on to produce wonderful instruments for years to come. That said, I think it is tragic that many craftsmen, technicians and scientist-inventors give so little thought to passing on their knowledge and devising a business succession plan. In Kanstul's case a wonderful manufacturing facility died and the tooling, which might have gone to someone hand-picked for their expertise in using it, went at auction and who knows what's going to happen to it. Certainly no one is making Wild Thing bells now. Flip should have owned the mandrel. In Flip's case, I guess he's the only one with intimate knowledge of his designs and also his mystical, but very successful "total enhancement." When he's no longer available to make horns or enhance them, will anyone be heir to his knowledge and tooling?

For these business owners, they are also missing the boat on a source of income, when plans and tools and other expertise could be sold with a promise of secrecy or no use until the owner gave permission. Kind of like an option to buy at a future date...

I don't have a dog in this fight except to bemoan the loss of irreplaceable knowledge and products...just sayin'...

One of Zig Kanstul's policies was to always own the tooling. This is the case with the Wild Thing tooling, which went to B.A.C. when they purchased what was left of the Kanstul factory items. Everything needed to build the Wild Thing line still exists, as far as I know, but B.A.C. won't include the entire range or make enough units per order to make a viable business for Flip. B.A.C is said to be progressing, but I can't help wondering if they will get to the point where they can produce All-American products in sufficient numbers in time for customers like Flip to have a shot.

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
musicman2k

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
royjohn wrote:
I hope and pray that Flip gets to better health and goes on to produce wonderful instruments for years to come. That said, I think it is tragic that many craftsmen, technicians and scientist-inventors give so little thought to passing on their knowledge and devising a business succession plan. In Kanstul's case a wonderful manufacturing facility died and the tooling, which might have gone to someone hand-picked for their expertise in using it, went at auction and who knows what's going to happen to it. Certainly no one is making Wild Thing bells now. Flip should have owned the mandrel. In Flip's case, I guess he's the only one with intimate knowledge of his designs and also his mystical, but very successful "total enhancement." When he's no longer available to make horns or enhance them, will anyone be heir to his knowledge and tooling?

For these business owners, they are also missing the boat on a source of income, when plans and tools and other expertise could be sold with a promise of secrecy or no use until the owner gave permission. Kind of like an option to buy at a future date...

I don't have a dog in this fight except to bemoan the loss of irreplaceable knowledge and products...just sayin'...

One of Zig Kanstul's policies was to always own the tooling. This is the case with the Wild Thing tooling, which went to B.A.C. when they purchased what was left of the Kanstul factory items. Everything needed to build the Wild Thing line still exists, as far as I know, but B.A.C. won't include the entire range or make enough units per order to make a viable business for Flip. B.A.C is said to be progressing, but I can't help wondering if they will get to the point where they can produce All-American products in sufficient numbers in time for customers like Flip to have a shot.

I have no idea where you are getting your information from. The only thing that we (B.A.C. Musical Instruments) ask is that you order a minimum of 12 units a year. This is because it takes a lot of time to reinvent the wheel of manufacturing complete horns, We usually build in runs of 3 and 5 as it makes sense for us, But have gone as high as 30 at a time. Manufacturing has doubled year after year for the past 3 years so lets not try and imply things that simply aren't true. Furthermore I have only had conversations with Flip about providing lead pipes for his horns for people who need them.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicman2k wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
royjohn wrote:

I have no idea where you are getting your information from. The only thing that we (B.A.C. Musical Instruments) ask is that you order a minimum of 12 units a year. This is because it takes a lot of time to reinvent the wheel of manufacturing complete horns, We usually build in runs of 3 and 5 as it makes sense for us, But have gone as high as 30 at a time. Manufacturing has doubled year after year for the past 3 years so lets not try and imply things that simply aren't true. Furthermore I have only had conversations with Flip about providing lead pipes for his horns for people who need them.

I don’t have any information about the situation with Flip, although I have spoken with him via email in the fairly recent past. But I’ll say this:
I can understand why some folks are less than impressed thus far with BAC regarding getting things into production. Over a year ago I inquired about the Benge line that was to be made by BAC, and the very courteous guy I spoke with said it was about a year out. I inquired again recently and was told……about a year out. I’m not throwing stones at you guys, and I totally understand that the last year has been completely insane for many reasons and for nearly everyone. But you have to understand that from a consumer’s standpoint, eventually interest in something that is promised for the future is going to wane when the near future comes and goes. There are two well known instrument case manufacturers that have been promising certain products for multiple years, personally I’ve lost interest in them.

I don’t run my own small business, but have worked for a small business for twenty six years, so I have seen the difficulties small business is faced with. I’m certainly not unsympathetic, it’s NOT easy.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
royjohn wrote:
Mnc wrote:

Quote:
It would be a huge

I've talked to Flip in the past about writing such a book. Maybe I will bring it up again.

Unfortunately some of the magic that happens doesn’t lend well to being described in a book. Don’t get me wrong, getting details documenting is excellent, but some things just require hands on coaching and practice.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, taking too long. Let's see:

Early fall 2019, 9 or so boxcars of random, unsorted and unlabeled tools, machines, parts, etc. arrive in Kansas City. A warehouse sits in its pre-WWII state as open floor space to convert to manufacturing.
- Plan approvals and building permit
- Utility tap permits
- Electrical permits
- mechanical permits
- probably plumbing permits
- oh yeah, figure out what that mountain of stuff is
All while making some prototypes in the old repair shop quickly for NAMM to show the investors that the project as merit.
(have you ever tried to open or expand an industrial facility? Planning and permits usually takes 18 months or more)

February 2020 - Covid-19 pandemic
- stock market crashes, financing becomes unobtainable even if the bank were open.
- insurers impose paralyzing restrictions on top of state mandates for worker safety
- sales stop as all ensembles cease rehearsing and performing at every level
- primary revenue stream, school rentals and repairs, eliminated as schools close and even private schools eliminate group activities like music.

January 2021 - Shop foreman, co-designer, and teacher to the staff dies.

I wonder what could be taking so long?

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Hmm, taking too long. Let's see:

Early fall 2019, 9 or so boxcars of random, unsorted and unlabeled tools, machines, parts, etc. arrive in Kansas City. A warehouse sits in its pre-WWII state as open floor space to convert to manufacturing.
- Plan approvals and building permit
- Utility tap permits
- Electrical permits
- mechanical permits
- probably plumbing permits
- oh yeah, figure out what that mountain of stuff is
All while making some prototypes in the old repair shop quickly for NAMM to show the investors that the project as merit.
(have you ever tried to open or expand an industrial facility? Planning and permits usually takes 18 months or more)

February 2020 - Covid-19 pandemic
- stock market crashes, financing becomes unobtainable even if the bank were open.
- insurers impose paralyzing restrictions on top of state mandates for worker safety
- sales stop as all ensembles cease rehearsing and performing at every level
- primary revenue stream, school rentals and repairs, eliminated as schools close and even private schools eliminate group activities like music.

January 2021 - Shop foreman, co-designer, and teacher to the staff dies.

I wonder what could be taking so long?

I don’t dispute any of that. But business reality is, unfortunately, customers and / or prospective customers generally don’t care. That’s unfair, unreasonable, illogical and did I mention unfair? But it’s business reality, and it’s not limited to the musical instrument business.

In college, one of our professor’s favorite motto was “Results, not excuses.”
I KNOW it’s often easier said than done, but that’s how many customers feel, and they’ll demonstrate those feelings by buying someone else’s product(s).

Brad
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I don’t dispute any of that. But business reality is, unfortunately, customers and / or prospective customers generally don’t care. That’s unfair, unreasonable, illogical and did I mention unfair? But it’s business reality, and it’s not limited to the musical instrument business.

I KNOW it’s often easier said than done, but that’s how many customers feel, and they’ll demonstrate those feelings by buying someone else’s product(s).

Well, every automaker has pushed back launches of electrified and automated product by a year - doesn't matter what Washington wants or promised during the campaign. Steak, Hell hamburger, costs 4 times what it did two years ago and yeah, people are buying more alternatives - but its not like beef producers can do anything about having been shut down or herds being shrunk when farmers couldn't get them to market. When the cash flow stops, everything stops - doesn't matter what business you are in.

Asking why BAC didn't deliver on schedule is like asking why Charmin didn't just restock the store shelves for 6 months - its unrealistic.

Also, better late than not done right. There is no clearer evidence of a quality ethic than a company that pushes out delivery rather than cut corners. (Grand champion example: Harrelson)

And sure, people can go elsewhere. However, introduce Benge today, or 3 years from now, and its still the only Benge. Boutique, and high-end instruments generally, are niche products. So when the product arrives, there will be people it fits better than what they have. Those in a rush, just risk selling what they buy today when they fall for the new one - of course, that's always true for us.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Well, every automaker has pushed back launches of electrified and automated product by a year - doesn't matter what Washington wants or promised during the campaign. Steak, Hell hamburger, costs 4 times what it did two years ago and yeah, people are buying more alternatives - but its not like beef producers can do anything about having been shut down or herds being shrunk when farmers couldn't get them to market. When the cash flow stops, everything stops - doesn't matter what business you are in.

Asking why BAC didn't deliver on schedule is like asking why Charmin didn't just restock the store shelves for 6 months - its unrealistic.

Also, better late than not done right. There is no clearer evidence of a quality ethic than a company that pushes out delivery rather than cut corners. (Grand champion example: Harrelson)

And sure, people can go elsewhere. However, introduce Benge today, or 3 years from now, and its still the only Benge. Boutique, and high-end instruments generally, are niche products. So when the product arrives, there will be people it fits better than what they have. Those in a rush, just risk selling what they buy today when they fall for the new one - of course, that's always true for us.

So, I guess you missed the part where I said consumer expectations are often unrealistic, unfair and illogical?

Brad
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

][quote= I don’t have any information about the situation with Flip, although I have spoken with him via email in the fairly recent past. But I’ll say this:
I can understand why some folks are less than impressed thus far with BAC regarding getting things into production. Over a year ago I inquired about the Benge line that was to be made by BAC, and the very courteous guy I spoke with said it was about a year out. I inquired again recently and was told……about a year out. I’m not throwing stones at you guys, and I totally understand that the last year has been completely insane for many reasons and for nearly everyone. But you have to understand that from a consumer’s standpoint, eventually interest in something that is promised for the future is going to wane when the near future comes and goes. There are two well known instrument case manufacturers that have been promising certain products for multiple years, personally I’ve lost interest in them.

I don’t run my own small business, but have worked for a small business for twenty six years, so I have seen the difficulties small business is faced with. I’m certainly not unsympathetic, it’s NOT easy.

Brad[/quote]

I have run my own small business for the past 38 years and I, too, have seen the difficulties small business is faced with. However, nothing comes even close to what has happened in the last year and a half. Materials are extremely scarce if available at all, as is experienced labor. And what's available material-wise is horribly expensive. Vendors always guaranteed quotes for 30 days. Now they won't guarantee a quote past the time they send it out. We have had a construction project for expansion on hold for several months now. It's a small project and there is not a single lumber yard in metropolitan Los Angeles that is able to fill the order. Just yesterday, I was informed that lumber prices are going up another 50% next week.

So let's not jump all over BAC because their original estimate for the production of some horn or series of horns was about a year and that year ended in the middle of a world wide pandemic. Let's cut them, and everyone else that at least was able to come out of the other side of this pandemic still in business, some slack.

I can understand that some customers can be impatient. But truth be told, I have no control over that. All I can do is the best I can. And if I am doing the best I can, I really don't need to be reminded by some impatient customer that I am running behind schedule. I already know this. If I didn't already know this or didn't care, I wouldn't have been in business for 38 years.

And if I have a customer who demands to have his Benge now when it was original projected to be available for purchase or he will lose interest in it like he did with some instrument case that took longer to come to market than he expected, I say, go buy a (fill in the blank) that's available off the shelf and don't bother me any more.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
][quote= I don’t have any information about the situation with Flip, although I have spoken with him via email in the fairly recent past. But I’ll say this:

Brad

I have run my own small business for the past 38 years and I, too, have seen the difficulties small business is faced with. However, nothing comes even close to what has happened in the last year and a half. Materials are extremely scarce if available at all, as is experienced labor. And what's available material-wise is horribly expensive. Vendors always guaranteed quotes for 30 days. Now they won't guarantee a quote past the time they send it out. We have had a construction project for expansion on hold for several months now. It's a small project and there is not a single lumber yard in metropolitan Los Angeles that is able to fill the order. Just yesterday, I was informed that lumber prices are going up another 50% next week.

So let's not jump all over BAC because their original estimate for the production of some horn or series of horns was about a year and that year ended in the middle of a world wide pandemic. Let's cut them, and everyone else that at least was able to come out of the other side of this pandemic still in business, some slack.

I can understand that some customers can be impatient. But truth be told, I have no control over that. All I can do is the best I can. And if I am doing the best I can, I really don't need to be reminded by some impatient customer that I am running behind schedule. I already know this. If I didn't already know this or didn't care, I wouldn't have been in business for 38 years.

And if I have a customer who demands to have his Benge now when it was original projected to be available for purchase or he will lose interest in it like he did with some instrument case that took longer to come to market than he expected, I say, go buy a (fill in the blank) that's available off the shelf and don't bother me any more.[/quote]

As I said, unrealistic customer expectations…..you know what? Never mind.
🙄
Brad
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicman2k wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
royjohn wrote:

I'm assuming this is Mike Corrigan.

I get this information from Flip Oakes. A small amount, from Charles Hargett. Both have been my friend for over ten years. My friendship with Flip developed into a sort of partnership where I acted as his spokesperson (by his invitation) and he would make sure I had his best equipment. I tried to represent his products and business as accurately as possible without overstating or harming his image and integrity. When you purchased the Kanstul parts and equipment, I reached out to you to begin a conversation that I hoped would add to the process of developing follow on instruments, or to simply establish the sort of relationship I enjoyed with Zig and Jack Kanstul. I recognize that you were in no position to respond to me, at that time, and probably had not idea who I am or any interest in knowing me. I probably have little or no value to add to B.A.C., anyway.

I also understand that what one person communicates is not always what the other person hears and that can happen both ways. So, I try to listen as much as possible to all of the people involved, if I have the chance. What you have seen me write is what Flip has expressed to me concerning B.A.C. If that is not accurate or complete, then there is miscommunication between the two of you.

OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian:

Musicman2K is not Corrigan. You were talking to a skilled craftsman, someone who actually has to make vision into reality, and who manages the work flow.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Brian:

Musicman2K is not Corrigan. You were talking to a skilled craftsman, someone who actually has to make vision into reality, and who manages the work flow.

I hope his work really blossoms and comes to full fruition.

GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Brian:

I hope his work really blossoms and comes to full fruition.

I just hope Flip is OK.

His line of cornet mouthpieces were great. It would be good to see them live on somehow.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Shawnino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just screams "crowdfunding"...
sounds7
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip should get with B.A.C. in my opinion while he is still here with us. They seem the most logical of choices to carry on his traditions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: