• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Success using systematic approach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBB1976
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Success using systematic approach Reply with quote

Hi folks

Hope you all had a good Xmas. I did a very demanding wind band concert a little while ago, as the music was very sustained and loud! I delved into CG's systematic approach recommended to me from a friend, as I felt I needed more power for the wind band playing. The parts didn't go stratospherically high but I found the 2 hour set very demanding! I must admit systematic approach very much helped me with this, and found everything much easier! Also, I really like how it gets the breathing and sound going in part 1.
Just some thoughts from here.......Happy New Year everyone.

Best
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy New Year

You can never develop enough wind power. If you possess twice the wind power and control of that wind as the player next to you, it stands to reason that you will play what your fellow trumpeter does with half the effort. The purpose of the wind power routines of Clarke/Gordon is to not make playing the horn harder, but easier. Which it does.
RayMott

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Not on TH for ages Reply with quote

Currently studying the CG SA (lesson 33). First post to enable marketplace access
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

solo soprano wrote:
You can never develop enough wind power.

Amen to that!!!

This is my first post in a looong time. Hospital has been very busy and getting busier.

I'm hoping to have more availability to take on more students after the vaccine is available and the numbers and hence, the need to work overtime drops. Right now around five days a week I get up at 3 PM, shower, give a couple lessons, eat quickly and head to the hospital by 7 PM. Somewhere around 8 to 9 AM the next day I finish my charting and head home to give morning lessons to the European students (late afternoon or evening their time). Then I go to bed, and get up four or five hours later and do the same.

If more people would wear their masks and properly social distance, I could get more sleep!

Stay safe everyone! Practicing your trumpet in your home is about as safe as it gets. And it is actually very good exercise for the respiratory system. Creating thoracic air pressure expands the alveoli in your lungs.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck of a schedule. Take care of yourself, John.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Benjamin.Sicard

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:39 pm    Post subject: Effortless mastery Reply with quote

solo soprano wrote:
Happy New Year

You can never develop enough wind power. If you possess twice the wind power and control of that wind as the player next to you, it stands to reason that you will play what your fellow trumpeter does with half the effort. The purpose of the wind power routines of Clarke/Gordon is to not make playing the horn harder, but easier. Which it does.

Yeah, your objective is that the trumpet becomes easy. I did the Gordon method for 2 years without any real improvements because I had too many tension in my throat when I was going in the upper register. I heard about Kenny Werner "Effortless Mastery" book and I decided to read it. I think every musician should read it, it really opened my mind on how to visualize my instrument. To think about extending your comfort zone instead of going beyond your limit is very beneficial, because going beyond your limit induce tension, because you want the results instead of just going through the process. I think that we need to understand and get it right before going into the Gordon method. That's my personal experience.
rtMusicMan123

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Daily Routines & Systematic Approach Reply with quote

Quite honestly they go together and should be incorporated into one's daily practice. I used them both for years and still do to a degree.
I used Daily Routines for beginning of the day warm up and systematic Approach after a little rest. Then I did literature, flexibility, and worked through all the normal trumpet books. After a couple years I put range at the end of the day instead of near the beginning of the day. Worked great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: