• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Impossible Burger

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Impossible Burger Reply with quote

Anyone tried one? Care to share your opinion?

I listened to a segment on NPR today discussing the development of the burger with the guy who started it. I found the research and technology behind it interesting.

For me I am not interested in finding a replacement for meat. I did have a year where I ate vegan, for health, not moral reasons. I found some of the patties that are shaped like hamburger patties to be tasty, without needing to look like hamburger or have the mouth feel.

If one is interested for health reasons, the fact that it has no cholesterol is enticing. And the benefits for the environment when compared to raising livestock also are enticing.

But neither are high on my personal priorities at this time.

None of this would stop me from trying one, nor admitting that I like it if I in fact did.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an acceptable fast food item (if that's not an oxymoron?) Yeah, it tastes like a fast food burger.

However, my opinion may be biased having just returned from our local sports bar where I just ordered a made-to-order burger from a wide range of beef options and toppings, including fried egg and/or guacamole. Wash it down with a brown adult beverage and one is ready to spend the afternoon perusing message boards for interesting topics
MiddleStaff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it at Burger King. It tastes very similar to a regular Whopper. The reason is that they fry (sorry, "flame broil") them on the same grill as the hamburger patties. It's a bit dryer, so a little extra mayo solves that issue. According to them, it's 15% less fat and 90% less cholesterol. It has 10 milligrams verses 90 for the hamburger patty.
That said, it all goes out the window for me because I get the large order of fries.
1972 Bach Strad model 180 with #37 bell
Yamaha YFH-631GS Flugelhorn
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Impossible Burger Reply with quote

I have tried it a couple times and enjoyed it. Back in the early nineties my wife wanted to try eating vegetarian for a while and it was fine. She wanted to go back to eating fish and chicken, which she did, and I stayed a while longer eating just vegetarian. People should make the choice they want for themselves. I read a news story where one of the vegan groups was protesting, (in the strongest terms) the fact that the Impossible was put on the same grill they did the regular burgers on. It somehow lost its purity. I come from a germanic heritage so I like meat. For me, I hope the impossible whopper leads to other vegetarian options in fast food. It is just a different choice.
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Watts location of East Los Angeles is a little rough, and a rolex is best left at home beforehand. Non vegan, but some of their burgers are equivalent to 27 whoppers..

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=hawkins++los+angeles&t=hh&atb=v1-1&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Impossible Burger Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
--snip--
For me I am not interested in finding a replacement for meat. I did have a year where I ate vegan, for health, not moral reasons. I found some of the patties that are shaped like hamburger patties to be tasty, without needing to look like hamburger or have the mouth feel.

I feel the same way towards many of the "veggie burgers" on the market. They taste quite different from beef, and for me, that is a good thing. When I eat at places that offer a veggie burger option, sometimes I consider getting one because I want to have a veggie burger instead of a hamburger.

There is a place down the street from where I live that used to offers 4 different veggie burgers on their menu. They were all completely different and awesome tasting; none of them tasted like meat. I was disappointed when they took them off their menu.
Didymus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Two for $6 Reply with quote

Burger King added their Impossible Whopper to their two for six offerings. I guess I now have no excuse to try one. Indeed, now I can make an A/B comparison with a standard Whopper at an affordable price.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the BK 2 for 6 special, and have to say, was pretty tasty. I went back the next day and got two Whoppers, old school, with extra mayo, and was equally satisfied with both varieties.

Notice I said two, of each, is about 800 more calories than I normally ingest for lunch, my usual snack that time of day is a 100 calorie pack of 3.5 ounces of tuna.

However, it is cold, and raining, and I wasn't working either day, went home and piled up in bed, with the space heater going full blast. Both were perfect hibernation food.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:
Got the BK 2 for 6 special, and have to say, was pretty tasty. I went back the next day and got two Whoppers, old school, with extra mayo, and was equally satisfied with both varieties.

Notice I said two, of each, is about 800 more calories than I normally ingest for lunch, my usual snack that time of day is a 100 calorie pack of 3.5 ounces of tuna.

However, it is cold, and raining, and I wasn't working either day, went home and piled up in bed, with the space heater going full blast. Both were perfect hibernation food.

My wife and I are currently on a diet. I have lost 45 pounds and only need to lose 5 more to reach my goal.

Two whoppers being a total of 1320 calories is more than my daily calorie allotment, so it is unlikely I will try that soon.

Back in the college days I weighed 155 and stood 6’ tall. I worked construction to pay for school. My typical lunch was two Wendy’s triples, 1100 calories * 2, a double large fry, 530 calories * 2, and a large coke, 400 calories. A total of 3660 calories.

And I could never gain weight.

Now, I added two pounds just writing that up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: