• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece similar to Bach 3D

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
budstahl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bach3D Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all, the OP did also ask for slightly smaller in diameter, hence my reply.

Thank you for all replies ! It is hard to explain what I want because I do not know so much about mouthpieces ! I have a 3D and I just want something that is smaller or more shallow or something ( curios if it can improve my high register ! ) I do not really know ! I have a 3E , 14A4A and a Paul Cacia and they do not work for me ! So what I " Think " I want is something in between , more towards a 3D than a 3E !
I have just started playing again after 5 years of not playing at all and I need motivation - A new mouthpiece ! I am also looking for a new trumpet !
Ulf
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
contact Dario Frate Professional Precision Brass Mouthpieces at his website or fb, a very competent pro and very good person.
best
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach3D Reply with quote

budstahl wrote:
... I have just started playing again after 5 years of not playing at all and I need motivation - A new mouthpiece ! ...

-------------------------------
Does your 3D seem somehow 'wrong', are you experiencing lip injury or pain?
If you have recently resumed playing, then it will take some time to regain your previous ability.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
budstahl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach3D Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
budstahl wrote:
... I have just started playing again after 5 years of not playing at all and I need motivation - A new mouthpiece ! ...

-------------------------------
Does your 3D seem somehow 'wrong', are you experiencing lip injury or pain?
If you have recently resumed playing, then it will take some time to regain your previous ability.

Jay

No, it works pretty good , I just want to try another piece to see if it improves my range or endurance !
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bach3D Reply with quote

budstahl wrote:
No, it works pretty good , I just want to try another piece to see if it improves my range or endurance !

-----------------------------------------
All of those mouthpieces for sale in the 'MARKETPLACE' section are the result of seeking better results. Sometimes a person does find one that is better, but it can be a long process.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The general rule here is that unless the current piece is particularly wrong it's not likely to be limiting your range. Assuming the current piece isn't particularly wrong, changing pieces may facilitate the range you have which could help endurance, but it's unlikely to add much range.

The general rule goes out the window if you pursue any of the more specialized approaches which sometimes benefit from very specific gear.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you, I bottom out on shallow mouthpieces, so I tend to prefer medium shallow cups for big band stuff. Here are my suggestions:

1. GR 3 series mouthpieces come in various cups and backbore combinations, and all the rims and alpha angles are the same among the 3 series, which means they all feel the same. Some may have slightly more or less playing resistance. I played the GR 3 series for years, and I still think that rim is the most comfortable rim I ever played. It is pretty much the same size as a 3C. For big band, I settled on a GR3MS (the MS is for medium shallow).
2. On more of a budget, the Yamaha 14B might be a great choice. Still not smaller than a 3C, but a nice mouthpiece.
3. The Monette 6 series is slightly smaller than a 3C, and very comfortable. The silver series 6 is a fantastic all round mouthpiece (at least for me). The B6LDS1 is essentially the same thing, but with a medium shallow cup and whatever tweak Monette does to the backbore for lead mouthpieces. The rim is identical to the silver 6 and the mainstream B6S1.

My 2 cents to help confuse the gearhead in all of us.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpieces that are similar to Bacg 3D Reply with quote

budstahl wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:
Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,
I would throw a Warburton 5MC into the mix or M cup, depending on what you can tolerate with shallow.

Speaking as a former Warburton dealer (15 yrs), the Warburton 4 rim is much closer to a Bach 3. Warburton 4M or 4MV would be good choices. The 4MC was Ben Smalley's version of the Bach 3C.

4M compares to Bach 3D , does that mean it is exactly like Bach 3D ?

In a word, no. Actually, no two Bach 3Ds are exactly the same. You never know until you try. There are too many possible variables.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted by delano

Last edited by delano on Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece similar to Bach 3D Reply with quote

budstahl wrote:
Hi !
I play a Bach 3D ( Lead ) because I cannot play very shallow pieces .
I have a 3E and it does not work !
I would like to try a piece that is slightly smaller or slightly more shallow than a 3D !
How is the Stork XMS 6 ?
Are there other pieces in that region ?
It would be nice if I can buy a new piece in europe !

Best regards from Sweden ,

Ulf

Hi neighbor!

I bought 2 Stork mpc:s from Thomann; VMS6 and VM6 can´t tell the difference to XMS6 - but I found the VM6 the one best suited to me; I like the rim, the V-shape provides a rather big warm sound, makes possible a nice resonant lower register as well as a sizzling high.
However, couple of months ago I found that I did need a somewhat bigger diameter mpc, 17mm (the Storks 16,25) which in itself is a return to the diameter I played 1970-2013, up to - 95 Bach 1 1/4 then Schilkes (14).
Today I use a Schilke 14B for lead, But - the Storks are very fine mpc:s!
Thomann offers a test period so don´t hesitate to order a small collection....you´ll get your money back rather swiftly!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jengstrom wrote:
Like you, I bottom out on shallow mouthpieces, so I tend to prefer medium shallow cups for big band stuff. Here are my suggestions:

1. GR 3 series mouthpieces come in various cups and backbore combinations, and all the rims and alpha angles are the same among the 3 series, which means they all feel the same. Some may have slightly more or less playing resistance. I played the GR 3 series for years, and I still think that rim is the most comfortable rim I ever played. It is pretty much the same size as a 3C. For big band, I settled on a GR3MS (the MS is for medium shallow).
2. On more of a budget, the Yamaha 14B might be a great choice. Still not smaller than a 3C, but a nice mouthpiece.
3. The Monette 6 series is slightly smaller than a 3C, and very comfortable. The silver series 6 is a fantastic all round mouthpiece (at least for me). The B6LDS1 is essentially the same thing, but with a medium shallow cup and whatever tweak Monette does to the backbore for lead mouthpieces. The rim is identical to the silver 6 and the mainstream B6S1.
My 2 cents to help confuse the gearhead in all of us.John

I recently corresponded with Brian Scrivener of GR on the same subject. He suggested the Fornero (Dan) series, very Bach 3 oriented.
budstahl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece similar to Bach 3D Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
budstahl wrote:
Hi !
I play a Bach 3D ( Lead ) because I cannot play very shallow pieces .
I have a 3E and it does not work !
I would like to try a piece that is slightly smaller or slightly more shallow than a 3D !
How is the Stork XMS 6 ?
Are there other pieces in that region ?
It would be nice if I can buy a new piece in europe !

Best regards from Sweden ,

Ulf

Hi neighbor!

I bought 2 Stork mpc:s from Thomann; VMS6 and VM6 can´t tell the difference to XMS6 - but I found the VM6 the one best suited to me; I like the rim, the V-shape provides a rather big warm sound, makes possible a nice resonant lower register as well as a sizzling high.
However, couple of months ago I found that I did need a somewhat bigger diameter mpc, 17mm (the Storks 16,25) which in itself is a return to the diameter I played 1970-2013, up to - 95 Bach 1 1/4 then Schilkes (14).
Today I use a Schilke 14B for lead, But - the Storks are very fine mpc:s!
Thomann offers a test period so don´t hesitate to order a small collection....you´ll get your money back rather swiftly!

Hi there !

I have thought about 14B !
markwu071

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaha 14b4

Bach 1.5c 22/24
Yamaha 16E4 GP (1.5A) 18/(24?)
Yamaha 14A4a stock
CKB 3C 26/(117?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: