• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Silent Brass with Boss pedal

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
budstahl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:45 am    Post subject: Silent Brass with Boss pedal Reply with quote

Hi !

I have the latest and the model before that of Silent Brass for trumpet and a Boss guitar pedal , can I make it work together ? What more do I need ? I want to get the sound back in my headphones only !

Best regards , Ulf
jocar37
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm facing a similar challenge. I just want to run my Silent Brass through my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, but don't seem to be able to find a way to do it. FWIW, neither running a cable from the mute nor the YSB phones jack to the 2i2 worked.

I've even had a lot of suggestions from Callum of FocusRite tech support. On the other hand, Yamaha remains completely f#$%ing "silent" themselves - AND theyhide their tech support number. Couldn't find it on their website, but did find it through Google.

I've pretty much concluded that the mute doesn't send much of a signal. I was able to play YouTube from my phone thru the 2i2, so the circuitry works just fine.

Anyone have any ideas how I might boost the signal? Or at least where I might find the specs on the microphone contained in the YSB?
1906 F. Besson flugel
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try running the headphone out cable from the YSB unit into a seperate headphone amp, then from the amp into the 2i2 or Boss. The headphone amp will boost the signal from the YSB.

For the Boss (and 2i2 if you use TRS input), you'll need an adaptor to connect the 3.5mm cable into the 1.25" input of the pedal/pre-amp.

The YSB probably only has enough juice to drive a pair of headphones, but you'll need a lot more power to get it to show up on in a mic pre-amp.

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
J.D. Heckathorn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jocar37 wrote:
I'm facing a similar challenge. I just want to run my Silent Brass through my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, but don't seem to be able to find a way to do it. FWIW, neither running a cable from the mute nor the YSB phones jack to the 2i2 worked.

I've even had a lot of suggestions from Callum of FocusRite tech support. On the other hand, Yamaha remains completely f#$%ing "silent" themselves - AND theyhide their tech support number. Couldn't find it on their website, but did find it through Google.

I've pretty much concluded that the mute doesn't send much of a signal. I was able to play YouTube from my phone thru the 2i2, so the circuitry works just fine.

Anyone have any ideas how I might boost the signal? Or at least where I might find the specs on the microphone contained in the YSB?

I record with this method regularly, I recorded all of my upcoming albums tracks with the silent brass into the Scarlett 2i2 into Logic Pro to put the signal through effects (amp sims/delay/reverb).

What you have to do is use this cable:

https://www.amazon.com/MillSO-Headphone-Adapter-Amplifiers-Theater/dp/B07TM2NF14?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-iphone-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07TM2NF14

Run this out of the headphone out on the silent brass and into the 1/4" jack on one of the two input jacks on front of 2i2. Run the mute into the mute in as you would normally. Choose the 2i2 as your desired audio input in your system preferences and you should get a signal.
jocar37
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.D. Heckathorn wrote:

What you have to do is use this cable:

https://www.amazon.com/MillSO-Headphone-Adapter-Amplifiers-Theater/dp/B07TM2NF14?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-iphone-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07TM2NF14

Run this out of the headphone out on the silent brass and into the 1/4" jack on one of the two input jacks on front of 2i2. Run the mute into the mute in as you would normally. Choose the 2i2 as your desired audio input in your system preferences and you should get a signal.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I already tried a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter in the configuration you propose. Had the same suggestion already from Callum. It didn't work. Not sure why another cable would do it.
1906 F. Besson flugel
jocar37
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGulyas wrote:
Maybe try running the headphone out cable from the YSB unit into a seperate headphone amp, then from the amp into the 2i2 or Boss. The headphone amp will boost the signal from the YSB.

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have a headphone amp I could use for this, and I'm not ready to spring for one to see if it would work (though I suspect if anything would do it, that would).

The mic in the YSB must be pretty low power. I ran a cable to the 2i2 from my phone, and was able to listen to YouTube. I'd love to learn the specs on the YSB mic.
1906 F. Besson flugel
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why this wouldn't work. If the headphone jack on your phone can supply signal to the interface, so can the headphone jack on the Silent Brass. Plug in some headphones, to make sure there's signal there. The volume will have to be turned up. Maybe play some music on your phone plugged into the "Aux in" on the silent brass and see if it passes that signal to the Scarlett.

Plugging the mic in directly probably won't work. I believe the mic is a condenser which requires a proprietary "phantom power" (not normal 48V, more likely 5V) from the belt pack. I guess this is why it's a three-conductor ("stereo") plug.

To the OP, you should have the same solution (adapter cord from headphone out to pedal in), but you may need a headphone amp on the output of the guitar pedal. I've done this using the input of a guitar amp but haven't tried using headphones.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
MikeyZ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: silent brass with boss pedal Reply with quote

I use the older silent brass gear, but have altered it. I do not use the 9volt baterry in the unit but I have a converted a 1 amp ac adapter to a 1amp 9 volt dc adapter and wired it for continuous power. Now for your pedal setup the cord from headpphone goes to the pedal input. Next another cord goes from output of the pedal to the mic input of this old boom box ($100 cd/radio/cassette player I purchased from a furniture store some 15 years ago) from this boom box there is a headphone jack that connects to your headphones. Your volume levels must be adjusted on the silent brass unit as well as the boom box. Also the mic input only works in the cd position on the boom box.The pedal volume also needs adjusting. You can have a series of 3 pedals lined up going at the same time with small length cables. I use delay/flanger/distortion. It takes some experimenting with volume levels but works well and I can play anything anytime of the day and not disturb anyone. Now if you want to play amplfied thru a PA system you just connect a cable from your pedal to seperate channel with alow or high impedance cable.(there are converter cables if you have to,some PA heads have both high and low connections for each channel) Now having said that I am currently replacing my setup with the this Vamp3 multieffects system $150)which has all the connections I need to replicate what I already have. I guess its a major upgrade. I know yamaha had a effects/pedals system 20 years ago and is discontinued/unavailable. That is why I am experimenting with this new toy the Vamp3 with headphones and without headphones.
My Gear: 1984 Yamaha Trumpet YTR6340ST #001152 with a curry 5Z.mpc.and 1921 C.G.Conn Wonder Vocal Cornet C/Bb/A (Williams Winnipeg Engraved on bell) with 14B4 mpc.
budstahl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: silent brass with boss pedal Reply with quote

MikeyZ wrote:
I use the older silent brass gear, but have altered it. I do not use the 9volt baterry in the unit but I have a converted a 1 amp ac adapter to a 1amp 9 volt dc adapter and wired it for continuous power. Now for your pedal setup the cord from headpphone goes to the pedal input. Next another cord goes from output of the pedal to the mic input of this old boom box ($100 cd/radio/cassette player I purchased from a furniture store some 15 years ago) from this boom box there is a headphone jack that connects to your headphones. Your volume levels must be adjusted on the silent brass unit as well as the boom box. Also the mic input only works in the cd position on the boom box.The pedal volume also needs adjusting. You can have a series of 3 pedals lined up going at the same time with small length cables. I use delay/flanger/distortion. It takes some experimenting with volume levels but works well and I can play anything anytime of the day and not disturb anyone. Now if you want to play amplfied thru a PA system you just connect a cable from your pedal to seperate channel with alow or high impedance cable.(there are converter cables if you have to,some PA heads have both high and low connections for each channel) Now having said that I am currently replacing my setup with the this Vamp3 multieffects system $150)which has all the connections I need to replicate what I already have. I guess its a major upgrade. I know yamaha had a effects/pedals system 20 years ago and is discontinued/unavailable. That is why I am experimenting with this new toy the Vamp3 with headphones and without headphones.

If I cannot find a Boom box ( what is your Boom box brand ? ), can I use something else that is not very expensive ?
MikeyZ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: silent brass with boss pedal Reply with quote

My boom box is a VIVID model MX-123IVD Made in China 2002 which has a mic input jack. It is very old and probably obsolete. As I said before your best option is the VAMP3 multieffects pedals for $150-$200. This is what I want to use right now because of portability and tons of effects options . Also the yamaha headphones that come with your silent brass are lousy. Get good quality headphones.
My Gear: 1984 Yamaha Trumpet YTR6340ST #001152 with a curry 5Z.mpc.and 1921 C.G.Conn Wonder Vocal Cornet C/Bb/A (Williams Winnipeg Engraved on bell) with 14B4 mpc.
budstahl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: silent brass with boss pedal Reply with quote

MikeyZ wrote:
My boom box is a VIVID model MX-123IVD Made in China 2002 which has a mic input jack. It is very old and probably obsolete. As I said before your best option is the VAMP3 multieffects pedals for $150-$200. This is what I want to use right now because of portability and tons of effects options . Also the yamaha headphones that come with your silent brass are lousy. Get good quality headphones.

Can I use this with the latest Silent brass or only the earlier model ?
Can I get the sound of the trumpet back to my earphones with VAMP3 ?
Best regards , Ulf
P.S. Is VAMP3 discontinued , looks hard to find in Sweden ??
MikeyZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: silent brass with boss pedal Reply with quote

Old and new silent brass are the same except for the mute that goes in your bell. The VAMP-3 has a headphone jack and is a new toy that a alot of guitar players use. Simply plug and play.
budstahl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: silent brass with boss pedal Reply with quote

MikeyZ wrote:
Old and new silent brass are the same except for the mute that goes in your bell. The VAMP-3 has a headphone jack and is a new toy that a alot of guitar players use. Simply plug and play.

Vamp3 probably discontinued , is there something similar available ?
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought just entered my head... the Boss pedal you have, is it a single Boss stomp box for guitar with only ¼" in and out, or is it an actual digital EFX pedal? I'm guessing it's a stomp box because you mentioned you wanted the signal to come back into some headphones and it's not working.

John

Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
budstahl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGulyas wrote:
The thought just entered my head... the Boss pedal you have, is it a single Boss stomp box for guitar with only ¼" in and out, or is it an actual digital EFX pedal? I'm guessing it's a stomp box because you mentioned you wanted the signal to come back into some headphones and it's not working.

It is a Boss Harmonist PS-6 with 2 outputs , 1 input and 1 EXP ?
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

budstahl wrote:

OK, it makes sense now. What you want to do won't work with that pedal because you can't get a usable signal from the YSB into the pedal and back to your headphones.

What I would suggest is getting an emulator app for a tablet or phone. If you have an iOS, look at Harmony Voice by VirSyn. With this you can run the headphone out from the YSB into the iPhone/iPad via the charging port (with proper adaptor), then run the headphones from the usual port.

This might be the best way to go for what you want to do. Any other way is going to take a much larger investment into equipment and software.

Hope this helps!

John

Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
budstahl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGulyas wrote:
budstahl wrote:

OK, it makes sense now. What you want to do won't work with that pedal because you can't get a usable signal from the YSB into the pedal and back to your headphones.

What I would suggest is getting an emulator app for a tablet or phone. If you have an iOS, look at Harmony Voice by VirSyn. With this you can run the headphone out from the YSB into the iPhone/iPad via the charging port (with proper adaptor), then run the headphones from the usual port.

This might be the best way to go for what you want to do. Any other way is going to take a much larger investment into equipment and software.

Hope this helps!

Thank you very much for helping me but I do not understand , headphone out from YSB into Iphone okay but then ? Headphones from usual port ?
Is the app instead of my Boss pedal ??
Ulf
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

budstahl wrote:

Thank you very much for helping me but I do not understand , headphone out from YSB into Iphone okay but then ? Headphones from usual port ?
Ulf

Yes, headphone output into the iPhone via the charging port using a 3.5mm to Lightning adaptor. If you're just using an iPhone then you'll need an adaptor like these (https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Lightning-Splitter-Headphone-Compatible/dp/B07YZKBT1V/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Wesoo+Audio+%26+Charge+Adapter&qid=1580735900&sr=8-4) (https://www.amazon.com/Headphones-earphones-converter-Accessories-Compatible/dp/B082H9LH3Z/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1JMVW8V1AM3B3&keywords=3.5mm+to+lightning+adapter&qid=1580736068&sprefix=3.5mm+to+ligh%2Caps%2C237&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRFJQQktPRVQ5QkJWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTMwNTg2MTBMRVU5OUtHOUoyNSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzM0MTk3MjVLR0dQMVVUSlM5QSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=)

Yes, I'm suggesting you use the app instead of the Boss pedal as using the app would be the simplest way to accomplish what you want to do (as I'm understanding it).

John

Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
budstahl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JGulyas wrote:
budstahl wrote:

Ulf

Yes, headphone output into the iPhone via the charging port using a 3.5mm to Lightning adaptor. If you're just using an iPhone then you'll need an adaptor like these (https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Lightning-Splitter-Headphone-Compatible/dp/B07YZKBT1V/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=Wesoo+Audio+%26+Charge+Adapter&qid=1580735900&sr=8-4) (https://www.amazon.com/Headphones-earphones-converter-Accessories-Compatible/dp/B082H9LH3Z/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1JMVW8V1AM3B3&keywords=3.5mm+to+lightning+adapter&qid=1580736068&sprefix=3.5mm+to+ligh%2Caps%2C237&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExRFJQQktPRVQ5QkJWJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTMwNTg2MTBMRVU5OUtHOUoyNSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzM0MTk3MjVLR0dQMVVUSlM5QSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=)

Yes, I'm suggesting you use the app instead of the Boss pedal as using the app would be the simplest way to accomplish what you want to do (as I'm understanding it).

Okay thank you !
I will try to find an adapter then !
Ulf
budstahl
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

budstahl wrote:
JGulyas wrote:
budstahl wrote:

Ulf

Okay thank you !
I will try to find an adapter then !
Ulf

Or maybe I will try to find a Vamp3 or something similar .......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: