• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Neo Cornet valve guard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccmthemusicman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:45 pm    Post subject: Yamaha Neo Cornet valve guard Reply with quote

I just purchased a YCR-8335 Neo B-flat cornet and am in need of a valve guard for it. I ordered the stock Protec cornet guard and it didn't fit (mounting for the 1st valve trigger got in the way and the guard was too short in general). Does anyone have any suggestions for where to look? I've seen a couple sites that offer guards for specific models, but none for the YCR-8335. Thanks!
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a handkerchief - more hygienic, does not dampen the sound, does not promote corrosion by trapping moisture and acidic sweat, and looks better.

Louis Armstrong always had his horn held with a handkerchief.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Neo Cornet valve guard Reply with quote

ccmthemusicman wrote:
I just purchased a YCR-8335 Neo B-flat cornet and am in need of a valve guard for it.

No you aren't.

Really.

If you have acidic hands that wear on silver, then the above suggestion of a handkerchief is better than any valve guard.

If you don't and just want to preserve the plating or finish, then that's best achieved by not using a valve guard. Seriously. I can't tell you how much finish/plating degradation I've seen on instruments that have valve guards. You think it helps, but it doesn't, it traps moisture and promotes corrosion.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Eric Ball
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not on his website, but I got one for my Neo cornet from Leather Specialties. I suggest giving Larry a call.
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Neo Cornet valve guard Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
No you aren't.

Really.

If you have acidic hands that wear on silver, then the above suggestion of a handkerchief is better than any valve guard.

If you don't and just want to preserve the plating or finish, then that's best achieved by not using a valve guard. Seriously. I can't tell you how much finish/plating degradation I've seen on instruments that have valve guards. You think it helps, but it doesn't, it traps moisture and promotes corrosion.

Gotta second that. I used to use one on my Getzen and it really tarnished the silver plating. If you must use one, be sure to take it off and dry your instrument before putting it in the case.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Neo Cornet valve guard Reply with quote

ccmthemusicman wrote:
I just purchased a YCR-8335 Neo B-flat cornet and am in need of a valve guard for it. I ordered the stock Protec cornet guard and it didn't fit (mounting for the 1st valve trigger got in the way and the guard was too short in general). Does anyone have any suggestions for where to look? I've seen a couple sites that offer guards for specific models, but none for the YCR-8335. Thanks!

Contact Leather Specialties. They make custom valve guards for a wide variety of instruments. http://www.lscoguard.com/

As you can see from this thread, some people don't recommend valve guards. That's okay. But I'm in the opposite camp. I've used valve guards for 40+ years. I had a Bach-branded leather guard on my Bach Strad since the '70s, which never harmed the lacquer underneath. Over the years, the area under the guard was the only part of the lacquer that was like-new. For the last 10+ years, I've been using Protec and Leather Specialties guards on my horns, both lacquer and silver. The guards have not tarnished, corroded, or degraded my horns.

So why the disagreement? On reason might be that some people put on a valve guard, but don't take care of their horns. They might get dirt or moisture under the guard, but then ignore it for months or years, and let the moisture or grime fester under the guard. You still have to take off the guard periodically, and clean your horn.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Neo Cornet valve guard Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:
No you aren't.

Really.

Gotta second that. I used to use one on my Getzen and it really tarnished the silver plating. If you must use one, be sure to take it off and dry your instrument before putting it in the case.

Gotta third that.😉

Brad
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One final comment on this from me, regarding wear from holding.

I have quite a few horns. Of the horns that I've had for at least 10 years and play quite a bit (or played at one point) are my Yamaha 6335, Yamaha 2310 cornet, Benge 3X, Selmer Radial, and 2 Bach 184L Cornets (one of which I didn't own, but used for a decade).

I am not particularly good about wiping my horns down, but I do it sometimes.

My Yamaha 6335 is silver plated and 30 years old and got hard use for the first 20 years of it's existence. In college it was played at least 2-3 hours a day. I was not good with the maintenance during this time. Despite this, it only has a small amount of silver worn off at one contact point on the valve casing. That's it.

My Yamaha cornet I got when I started band in 6th grade. It's lacquer. It lost some lacquer when I washed it in some too hot water once, but again, the wear on the contact areas is pretty minimal. It's 35 years old.

My Bach Cornets were built in the 90's. There was some small amount of lacquer loss around a few contact spots after 20 years. My silver one that I've had for 10 years has none, other than were the trigger was removed (which is a repair thing, not a wear thing).

My Benge is silver and despite being over 40 years old, has zero wear on any contact points. My Radial is lacquer, which is worn and has some missing lacquer, but it's not more worn on any contact points and is almost 50 years since it was built.

Like I said, generally, I could do much better on wiping my horns down after playing.

I don't have corrosion issues from my personal chemistry, but if you don't then I would conclude that worry about wear on contact points is something that is pretty unnecessary. Frankly, if you are somewhat regular about wiping it down after playing, then you'll probably fair even better than I have.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: