• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpieces - do they matter

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with all the cash spent on equipment a player should have the basic mouthpieces on the shelf. 7c, 5c, 3c, and if you must 1.5c. while you are playing and get an itch plug in something larger or smaller. you will get immediate feedback whether you did the right thing.
i would go along with jens and as a general rule most players don't need larger than the 3. i play a 3c along with many others.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a quote from a Jim Donaldson (Schilke Loyalist/Trumpet Gearhead) article:

"Trumpet mouthpieces are a combination of several variables--the rim diameter and contour; the shape, size, and depth of the cup; the size of the bore; and the size and shape of the backbore. Each of these variables effects the tone quality and ease of producing the notes. The tiniest changes (measured usually in tenths of a millimeter or thousandths of an inch) can have considerable effect. Choosing the "best" mouthpiece is an exercise in balancing different consequences, depending on your strengths and weaknesses as a player, your taste, and the type of playing you do most."

My experience in 4 years as a comeback player is that mouthpieces matter to a point. The rest is the player. Jim's advice above is spot on. So the bottom line is choose the mouthpiece with the least downside to you as the player based on what you play most.
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpieces - do they matter Reply with quote

AkshayB wrote:

My question is, do you think my problem with the upper register with the 1-1/2 C is because I've just been playing it for a month, or is it because of the mouthpiece. I want to know if I should stick with the 3C.

Thanks in advance,
Akshay

It is because of the mouthpiece. You should stick with whatever mouthpiece works best for you and the sound fits the style of the music you are performing.

Best of luck
Gordon Stump
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find what fits YOU as an individual. We are NOT all physically built the same. I have a small mouth; thin lips and can play a very small diameter mouthpiece because of my physical make up. A 10.5C is plenty big and deep enough for me to get a great sound and tone on. In my opinion, it's just like shoes. YOU find what fits YOU. A Bach 3C is HUGE to my lips. A Bach 7C is even too big. However, I played one for many years because that was the paradigm that was in place.

In thwe words of Bobby Shew, you fins the most efficient tool for the job. If you want to play blistering high, you're probably not going to select a Bach 1X as your tool of choice no more than you would use a back hoe to dig a flower pot out.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Worley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: MP Reply with quote

I have been floating in and out between MP's recently trying to find "the one." I have most recently played on a Pickett 3C/24 with a #10/2-24 for a year or so and I feel now it is best suited for soloistic and chamber settings. With the 3C i can really "finesse" high E's and F's with a good, full tone color. I originally got it for a trumpet ensemble that required me to play lyrically as well as play a phat high E at the end. But, I have been noticed lack the depth of tone quality in my mid/lower register. I plan on going bigger, but I am in the same boat as you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: