• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Carl Fischer music for trumpet books

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Carl Fischer music for trumpet books Reply with quote

Hi there ...

Just wondering whether any have come across and used any of Carl Fischer's music and studies for trumpet, specifically:
1) I used to play trumpet
2) The Sigmund Hering trumpet course books 2-4 (The advancing/progressive/achieving trumpeter)
3) 23 Orchestral Etudes for the advanced trumpet player, or
Any other of Fischer's music book/s and your opinion of it/them. See here: https://www.carlfischer.com/cf/methods/brass/trumpet.html?p=1&product_list_limit=24

I have worked through pretty much all of "My first Clarke" in getting back on the horn and have enjoyed the exercises and etudes in helping to build up some "form" again.

Recently I purchased Carl Fischer's "Forty progressive etudes" having found Australia's Music Examination Board suggests eleven of them for their grade five exam syllabus and two for grade six. I've found the G5 pieces (and those for lower levels) interesting and useful in getting into the "swing" of playing again, as well as extending my abilities on the horn (previously limited to hymns and hymn arrangements).

All responses will be appreciated. Thank you for taking the time.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm familiar with all of them.

1) "I Used to Play Trumpet" has useful material in it but isn't on my list of books to recommend to comeback (or new) trumpet players. Bill Knevitt's "The Developing Trumpet Player" and Harold "Pappy" Mitchell's "Mitchell on Trumpet" are much better in terms of content and structure, particularly for independent study.

2) "The Sigmund Hering Trumpet Course" has a lot of excellent material in it, but it is much better suited for use with a teacher than for independent study. Also, it isn't as comprehensive as Knevitt's and Mitchell's books, so you'd still need supplementary material.

3) Hering's "23 Orchestral Etudes" is a wonderful book of challenging etudes based on the orchestral repertoire. They are lengthier than Hering's elementary and intermediate etudes, and the range goes up to high D (maybe an Eb or two). Definitely an advanced book. If you are thinking of what to get after "40 Etudes," the next step would be "38 Recreational Studies" (on par with the second half of "40 Etudes") or "32 Etudes" (more advanced).

You might consider studying with a teacher to get some good recommendations regarding what/how to practice and generally help your trumpet playing.

Good luck!
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I'm familiar with all of them. ...
3) Hering's "23 Orchestral Etudes" is a wonderful book of challenging etudes based on the orchestral repertoire. They are lengthier than Hering's elementary and intermediate etudes, and the range goes up to high D (maybe an Eb or two). Definitely an advanced book. If you are thinking of what to get after "40 Etudes," the next step would be "38 Recreational Studies" (on par with the second half of "40 Etudes") or "32 Etudes" (more advanced).
You might consider studying with a teacher to get some good recommendations regarding what/how to practice and generally help your trumpet playing. ... Good luck!

Just want to say thank you, Dayton, for coming back so promptly with a response. Atm I'm checking out the availability of some of these suggestions, particularly "38 Recreational Studies" which may end up being an import from Amazon.com ... I'll be keeping a note of your other recommendations for future reference.

I've been checking this thread the last couple of days and hoping for a few more contributions ... and hoping that the thread doesn't get lost following more recent posts.

Totally agree with your comments re teacher. I've been trying to find an experienced teacher/performer (brass band or similar) but atm am relying on my previous instruction for piano (to G6 of 7, then AMusA at the time). It's coming in very handy for scale and arpeggio understanding/knowledge.

I've also acquired the Australian Music Examination Board's curriculum and their "Technical Work and Orchestral Excerpts" book and, atm, using it for at least a twice weekly practice session going from G1 to G5 (of 8 ) with a few additional scales thrown in from a higher grade. (Do other work on the other days.)

So ... thanks again for your help, Dayton.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been trying to find an experienced teacher/performer

Terrific! That is one of the very best things you can do to maximize the likelihood of good, sustained progress.

Practicing the Hering etudes and AMEB material is good, but it also offers an example of why finding a teacher can be so important. Hering's etudes are some of the best ever written, and the AMEB covers very useful material as well -- major, minor, chromatic, whole tone scales, Arban interval studies, (Mahler, Ellington!), etc. They are unquestionably useful, but they aren't comprehensive or tailored to your specific needs as they are intended to be used with a teacher.

Until you find a teacher you might consider adding one of the methods I mentioned -- Knevitt's "The Developing Trumpet Player" or Mitchell's "Mitchell on Trumpet" -- to offer you a more complete practice routine.

Good luck!
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
Quote:
I've been trying to find an experienced teacher/performer

Terrific! That is one of the very best things you can do to maximize the likelihood of good, sustained progress.

Practicing the Hering etudes and AMEB material is good, but it also offers an example of why finding a teacher can be so important. Hering's etudes are some of the best ever written, and the AMEB covers very useful material as well -- major, minor, chromatic, whole tone scales, Arban interval studies, (Mahler, Ellington!), etc. They are unquestionably useful, but they aren't comprehensive or tailored to your specific needs as they are intended to be used with a teacher.

Until you find a teacher you might consider adding one of the methods I mentioned -- Knevitt's "The Developing Trumpet Player" or Mitchell's "Mitchell on Trumpet" -- to offer you a more complete practice routine.

Good luck!

+1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: