• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

long layoff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: long layoff Reply with quote

well here's the saga of the drama queen.
i ran into health difficulties and had trouble with heart weakness so the trumpet had to go for a while. it was over a year. luckily the heart thing was a flash in the pan and no lasting ill effects.
i have been playing the last few days and it is interesting as all get out. starting with the pedal register, a personal favorite and handy as a warm up, i was able to blow the low open valve C by careful listening and forming the lips just so. this had not been possible before and can only be attributed to some mental block. it would be handy now doing so in front of a keyboard or downloading some drone app.
there was always some issue or question with mouthpiece size and alternating between the 7 and the 3. starting with the 7, on the theory of it being easier to blow, and with this fresh perspective from the layoff, it felt decidedly too small. the 3 got plugged in instead.
certainly the situation needs some practice but the deuce of it is that most of the battle is simply knowing how to play. the knowledge of how to form the embouchure and work the abdomen and so forth is half the battle. i was able to hit Bb and high C and there shouldn't be real trouble getting back in the groove. i now understand how top players are able to overcome lip accidents and get on with the trumpet using a different set of the lips, and do so in a timely manner.
people come here regularly with severe health issues needing guidance. all i can say is that i put the instrument down without a qualm or further thought and dealt with what was more important.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your health problems, but welcome back to the trumpet!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your attitude WRT health is fantastic, bravo on having the guts to just put the horn down and recover. It's the only way to go.

I look at a long time off as an opportunity, not a problem. What has happened is many old habits have weakened, strong emotional reactions dulled, etc. Use this time to build better habits, proper breathing, clean attacks, even holding the trumpet properly.

It pays off in the long run, if you keep your eye on the prize and don't push it.

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: