• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Note target size

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delayed response.

LittleRusty wrote:

I have been very careful in my comments to only post my experience.

For instance, I personally do not find thinking intervals helps me personally at all, neither in sight singing nor in playing the trumpet. In fact intervals never enter into my mind. That certainly doesn't mean others don't.

I no longer think about them either. I'm not sitting there thinking, "Perfect fifth, minor second, major third, augmented fifth, major second, major second, tritone..." while I play. I started out that way many years ago, but having practiced it enough, much like practicing anything enough, it has become second nature to just "hear" the next note. Practicing it enough happens rather quickly.

In addition, there have been many here on TH that have posted about the difficulties in learning to play a C trumpet after learning on and playing a Bb. That they have to adjust to hearing the pitch that is off by a full step.

I initially had some difficulty adjusting, but after some time I realized it wasn't the pitch that bothered me. It was that I was trying to make it play and sound like a Bb, rather than just letting it be a C trumpet. After having that realization, C came easy and learning other-key instruments hasn't been much of a bother, unless I lack the range to play it. (I still can't play the Brandenburg. Grrr...) Obviously, others have had their own frustrations and breakthroughs about these horns.

Since intervals don't enter into my mind when playing I of course didn't understand your post's point, and I apologize for that.

No worries.

But you also make a similar mistake in assuming I was referring to sight singing when I stated "The issue is that the pitch one sings for a written C is different than the pitch one plays on the trumpet."

Haha! Touché!

I might add that this discussion started in response to my original suggestion to practice sight-singing, which is why I jumped to the conclusion that you and kehaulani were talking about it as well. Of course, I didn't emphasize to kehaulani that that's what I was talking about, which no doubt made the discussion look rather odd. I guess the lesson for me here is to always make sure we're all on the same page, or no one knows for sure what anyone is talking about.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: