• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

And you thought trumpets were expensive

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: And you thought trumpets were expensive Reply with quote

Last summer I decided to start training for triathlon, with a goal to complete a half ironman.

Running shoes, $140 + $40 arch supports
Swimgear, $40 suit + $30 goggles
Bicycle,

Some of these bikes make French horns look cheap. And then, of course, you'll want to upgrade your wheels to deep carbon rim wheels, right? And don't forget your power sensor. Oh, don't you also want the super specialized aero triathlon time trial bike that cost twice as much as the regular road bike?
Getzen Capri cornet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to play woodwinds. I used soprano, alto and tenor saxes as well as a flute. I also played recorder and Irish transverse and converse flutes. Factor in mouthpieces, reeds and electronic equipment Add that up.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Former triathlete here, did three half Ironman distance races (one in Muncie, Ind., which years ago was an Ironman qualifier), LOTS of shorter races, 12 marathons.

Yep, when you’re talking bikes, you can spend many thousands, but just like trumpets, the bike won’t win the race. For most people, a solid name brand (Trek, Cannondale, Specialized) bike set up for triathlons and with good components (at least mid range Shimano or comparable) should be adequate.

Have fun!

Brad
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember being awed by my three-speed.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was an avid runner for 41 years until arthritic hips finally forced me to quit. I competed in road races for a number of years and was fairly fast. One marathon in 83 as well. Shoes and orthotics can be extremely pricey. I biked for awhile but it never thrilled me the way a good run did. I bought a very nice, expensive Canondale back in the mid to late 80's. Luckily I had a friend who worked for Canondale and he was able to get me the bike for way, way less than it retailed for. I rode it sporadically for two years. I got married in 89 and never rode it again. I ended up selling it at a pawn shop just to get it out of my garage.
My wife is a Hawaii gal and I got interested in ukulele through my visits to the islands. I ended up ordering a semi custom tenor and next a custom from two of the major manufacturers on Oahu. Combined worth is about $4,500. Unlike the bike they are played every day.
I golf a fair amount and a few years back got fitted clubs through a pro I took lessons from. That ran me $1,800.
Our hobbies and avocations can be really expensive. Luckily we're comfortable money wise. Not rich, we have enough for all the things we need and some of the things we want.
Enjoy your hobbies and avocations whether they're inexpensive or pricey. We also donate a fair amount to various charities, spread your $ to those who have less if you can. Count your blessings and be thankful for what you have.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:

My wife is a Hawaii gal and I got interested in ukulele through my visits to the islands. I ended up ordering a semi custom tenor and next a custom from two of the major manufacturers on Oahu.

Was that from Alvin Okami (KoAloha Ukeleles)? I think mine cost me a little over $1,000.00.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
peanuts56 wrote:

My wife is a Hawaii gal and I got interested in ukulele through my visits to the islands. I ended up ordering a semi custom tenor and next a custom from two of the major manufacturers on Oahu.

Was that from Alvin Okami (KoAloha Ukeleles)? I think mine cost me a little over $1,000.00.

The semi custom is a Kamaka and the custom is a Kanilea. I picked up a KoAloha Tenor in October when we were visiting. It was a scratch and dent. Small ding in the headstock. The instrument plays just fine. I do want to have the action lowered a bit and also on the Kamaka. Almost 64 and my hands and fingers don't want to work as hard any more.
I caught a great show last weekend. Led Kaapana, George Kahumoku and Kawika Kahiapo were in Cambridge, Mass. I'm a big fan of Led and always go to hear him when we're on Oahu. Fabulous player and an even nicer guy.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm informed that a pro quality violin bow can run $15,000 or so; and that the best pro flutes can knock a hole in $75,000!

I know people who spend tens of thousands of dollars to join a hunting club.

As long as we don't feel compelled to buy every trumpet we see, trumpet players can actually get by on the cheap, relatively speaking.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a competitive cyclist and spend a fair amount of money on it. If you want roughly the equivalent bike that Chris Froome rides, you're looking at close to $20k retail.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a violinist and got curious about that .... sub-$1000 violins are considered kind of toys, and the "most" violin for the least amount of money is probably a Luis & Clark carbon-fiber one, in that they reportedly sound great, will have the least maintenance, etc., and those are about 7 grand.

Luckily my fingers are too stubby for violin really.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off topic but worth it.
My wife and I love Antiques Road Show. W were watching one night when a guy brought a violin to be evaluated. The guy was driving down some street and noticed someone was throwing out an old Army Trunk. He went to the door and asked the people if they would mind him taking it. He thought he could store some tools in it. The people told him to take it but there were some items inside that they were throwing out. One of the items was an old violin. It turned out the violin was worth $35 thousand!!!!!
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:

It turned out the violin was worth $35 thousand!!!!!

Between how popular the violin's been for 100's of years and, well, 100's of years, there are finds like that. The only thing I can think of that's like that is maybe old coins or art.

BTW wood "seasons" over time, so either you get an old violin, or you get one made by a luthier who's working with centuries-old wood. That's a thing.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1jazzyalex wrote:
peanuts56 wrote:

It turned out the violin was worth $35 thousand!!!!!

Between how popular the violin's been for 100's of years and, well, 100's of years, there are finds like that. The only thing I can think of that's like that is maybe old coins or art.

BTW wood "seasons" over time, so either you get an old violin, or you get one made by a luthier who's working with centuries-old wood. That's a thing.

That's the crazy thing about wooden instruments.

Brass, on the other hand, doesn't work like that. Although, I once read an article in the ITG Journal which said something to the effect of, "If you played Adolph Herseth's trumpet, you'd sound more like Adolph Herseth because the brass crystals are aligned that way."
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:42 pm    Post subject: And you thought trumpets were expensive Reply with quote

Our hobbies, our pursuits, and our loves (as in athletics or music) can cost a boat load of money but that probably isn't the reason we spend the money. If I had the money I would probably start filling a room with vintage trumpets because they have always fascinated me. It was the same when I hunted and shot. I have a friend that has a 20' boat for fishing on the Missouri R. and has 30 grand in everything, but he could get a big Ranger Boat and go out of pocket 75 thousand. In any case if the person has the money they can make the choice. If one is a tri-athlete or marathon runner it is about more than the money one spends on equipment. It is about the competition and satisfaction in accomplishment. I have a few brass instruments on my bucket list and fortunately they won't set me back like a DelJesu or Stradavarius violin.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1967, my new Benge cost about $300. My roommate's new cello bow cost well over $1000. We've got it cheap - relatively.

Alan
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: And you thought trumpets were expensive Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
Our hobbies, our pursuits, and our loves (as in athletics or music) can cost a boat load of money but that probably isn't the reason we spend the money. If I had the money I would probably start filling a room with vintage trumpets because they have always fascinated me. It was the same when I hunted and shot. I have a friend that has a 20' boat for fishing on the Missouri R. and has 30 grand in everything, but he could get a big Ranger Boat and go out of pocket 75 thousand. In any case if the person has the money they can make the choice. If one is a tri-athlete or marathon runner it is about more than the money one spends on equipment. It is about the competition and satisfaction in accomplishment. I have a few brass instruments on my bucket list and fortunately they won't set me back like a DelJesu or Stradavarius violin.

I have no first hand experience with it, and I don't know much about it, but it seems to me that between the equipment and travel expenses, one can spend a PANTLOAD if you're into bass fishing. These guys are fanatics! And they don't even eat them (something I've NEVER understood....)

keith
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peanuts56 wrote:
A little off topic but worth it.
My wife and I love Antiques Road Show. W were watching one night when a guy brought a violin to be evaluated. The guy was driving down some street and noticed someone was throwing out an old Army Trunk. He went to the door and asked the people if they would mind him taking it. He thought he could store some tools in it. The people told him to take it but there were some items inside that they were throwing out. One of the items was an old violin. It turned out the violin was worth $35 thousand!!!!!

I have a similar but less extreme or monetarily valuable experience. When I was teaching in Japan in the 1980s and living in an old missionary building, I was asked to clean out a storeroom since the college was selling the building. Stuff was piled about three feet deep and as we dug through and through and pulled stuff out, an old violin appeared. I asked if I could keep it and was granted permission. Inside it said it was a Guarneri from 1725 (obviously a fake). Turned out to be a German copy from the late 1800s, worth $2 to 3K . But it had a beautiful sound and wonderful playability. My son uses it to this day for fiddle work.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: