• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Olds serial number

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kezonogueira

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:43 am    Post subject: Olds serial number Reply with quote

Hi folks. I've got an Olds trumpet, seems a recent instrument. Serial number is 517071. It's written Elkhart. Please, can you help me find which model is it? Thank you!
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's likely an instrument made by the factory that purchased the Olds brand. Its unlikely that it was made by the 'original' Olds. The fact that it seems recent is another indicator, Olds went out of business about 40 years ago. Your best chance in identifying it by contacting the new 'Olds' manufacturer and asking them about the trumpet. I believe their site is called feolds.com?

For reference: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38235&sid=a7eb51dad1aeeaa627e360c11058f0a4
kezonogueira

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
It's likely an instrument made by the factory that purchased the Olds brand. Its unlikely that it was made by the 'original' Olds. The fact that it seems recent is another indicator, Olds went out of business about 40 years ago. Your best chance in identifying it by contacting the new 'Olds' manufacturer and asking them about the trumpet. I believe their site is called feolds.com?

For reference: https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38235&sid=a7eb51dad1aeeaa627e360c11058f0a4

Thank you very much. I understand now. I sent them a msg, via their website.

Anyway, I have a 1994 Conn 20B. There's a person selling 2 trumpets, in nice condition: the Olds, and a King 601. I'm not sure which one it's better. Since, I'm a student, any opinion on this would be highly appreciated.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it says "Elkhart" it is very likely a Blessing. For a while before Blessing was shut down and turned into a stencil brand itself, Blessing was supplying the online retailer that owns the Olds and Reynolds names (now they are back to overseas production again)

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kezonogueira wrote:
Anyway, I have a 1994 Conn 20B. There's a person selling 2 trumpets, in nice condition: the Olds, and a King 601. I'm not sure which one it's better. Since, I'm a student, any opinion on this would be highly appreciated.

Can't really help you with that I'm afraid, since I've no personal experience with either of them. However, if the Olds was indeed 'made' (read: stamped) by the new manufacturer/retailer, then my first reaction would be to steer clear of it...but I'm a vintage Olds fanboy so I'm biased.
kezonogueira

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
If it says "Elkhart" it is very likely a Blessing. For a while before Blessing was shut down and turned into a stencil brand itself, Blessing was supplying the online retailer that owns the Olds and Reynolds names (now they are back to overseas production again)

Thank you!
kezonogueira

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
kezonogueira wrote:

Can't really help you with that I'm afraid, since I've no personal experience with either of them. However, if the Olds was indeed 'made' (read: stamped) by the new manufacturer/retailer, then my first reaction would be to steer clear of it...but I'm a vintage Olds fanboy so I'm biased.

Got it!
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hibidogrulez wrote:
kezonogueira wrote:

Disagree...I have both type of Olds & I prefer the Elkhart (Blessing?) made.....
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:
Disagree...I have both type of Olds & I prefer the Elkhart (Blessing?) made.....

You disagree that I'm biased? But seriously, I'll have to take your word for it as I've never played the Elkhart variant. What kind of other 'Olds' trumpet do you own?
kezonogueira

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:
hibidogrulez wrote:
kezonogueira wrote:

Nice!
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:

Yup.

After Olds in California closed and was sold, it became a stencil brand for whatever outfit owned the brand name.

The public school I taught at for several years had some post California Olds stencils and they looked exactly like the Blessing Scholastics we also had. Also, Blessing was also in Elkhart. They were decent student horns.

We also had some later "Olds" branded flutes and saxophones made .... somewhere that wasn't the US. They mostly kinda worked, sometimes. I hope they didn't play too much for them.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: