• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Pocket trumpet with silent brass mute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
babyfacechulo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Pocket trumpet with silent brass mute Reply with quote

These days I don’t normally practice everyday but I do practice for at least five out of the seven days daily. So my concern is why is my tone when I play the trumpet without the mute on is so small now? Before my tone used to be bigger but now it’s much smaller. Is it the mute itself?
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice muted and you will play like you are muted. Try to get in a little "open" time every day. You can play into a closet of clothes or something to reduce the volume reaching neighbors.

You can also try playing open with the tone you want, then play with that same "feel" with the mute, to establish what you need to do playing muted to maintain your "open" sound.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pocket trumpet + silent brass.

You reap what you sew!

Ive been playing pickleball every day but can't figure out why my tennis game isn't getting better.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of these.

I have experience with all of that. I have traveled, for convenience, with pocket trumpet and practice mute because I was staying in "practice challenged" environments. But I also sat in with bands where I played open.

Additionally, I now am mobility-challenged, in a wheel chair, and live in a senior living community, which is code word for "don't you dare make any extraneous noise".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
babyfacechulo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: something to consider Reply with quote

I've been practicing the pocket trumpet with the mute with a 20c mouthpiece (that's an extremely small mouthpiece) and I blow softly into the trumpet with the mute on. Just something to wonder about if thats the case with my softer tone that I have now.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently spent two weeks traveling and playing a pocket trumpet with a practice mute, playing softly. One of the things I did was keep in mind that I was playing softly. When I got back to where I could blow out loud again, I found that I definitely had improved my soft playing skills. I did not feel it diminished my louder side. Part of it may be the way you approach it mentally. Think of it as playing softly and remember playing loudly.
I am not sure what would happen if I only practiced that way for several months, but I think we can do a lot with mental focus.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
babyfacechulo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now know why my tone was smaller, it’s because I wasn’t using the headphones with the studio thing. So now I could hear myself better now with the electronics. I was always using it without the electronics. Just the mute itself.
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I practice with a practice mute I blow so hard I had to get thicker slide grease because I was blowing out the tuning slide. Result:fast tone improvement, larger sound. Its easier to pull back when without the mute than push harder when you haven't been, as you learned.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdarnton wrote:
When I practice with a practice mute I blow so hard I had to get thicker slide grease because I was blowing out the tuning slide. Result:fast tone improvement, larger sound. Its easier to pull back when without the mute than push harder when you haven't been, as you learned.

Interesting idea.
When I have used a pocket trumpet with a practice mute, I keep in mind the situation and work on things that it helps -- playing small, playing with small air, etc. I have found it improves my playing because I am concentrating on things I normally do not have to concentrate on. I think as someone above pointed out, awareness is a big part of the process. My longest stretch is about 3 weeks though, not months at a time.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice with a harmon mute a lot. But then, I've been playing a long time and spent years doing open horn practicing to develop my fundamental technique and tone. So, I think that if you're an experienced player, spending some of your time with a harmon (I don't care for practice mutes, they're too 'stuffy' for me) is okay. I like it because it allows me to practice late in my apt. and I tend to keep vampire hours. Open horn practice IS important though. If you can't practice in your home try practicing outside if possible. I used to practice outside at the waterfront at 1:00 in the morning......

keith
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, using the ‘newer’ style S.B. mute rendered the pocket tpt unplayable... as the intonation was sooo bad!! Works fine with a Pampet mute... haven’t tried the older style SB mute though... that might work better?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: