• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can Cichowicz disable one temporary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaxoTrump
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Can Cichowicz disable one temporary? Reply with quote

I don't mean that in this particular case Cichowicz flow studies is something nasty but I would use them rather as a generalization of something new done vigorously for the first time.

Here I explain what I mean: I've never done Cichowicz before and decided to give it a try last Monday, Jan.13 (well, isn't that a nice date?)
Since I was new to these flow exercises they felt weird but doable although I immediately realized that it takes skill to maintain good intonation on descend.

But that's not the question what to do with the studies and how to proceed with them. The question is this:
- Could they disable my playing abilities for the next 3 days?
Again what I mean: I've done each one maybe for 5-6 times in a raw and I didn't go above E in the staff. I was just getting the feel of the exercise and memorizing patterns along the way.

When I finished them, took a 10 minutes break and then returned to my next segment I realized I could barely play at all.
What's worse, for the next 3 days including yesterday I could barely play above middle C.
Actually I didn't realize at first what was the reason and I later came to a conclusion that my temporary collapse could be associated with the Cicho-flows.

As a generalization, which is even more important - can some new exercises when done vigorously and maybe even somewhat forcefully (but not actually with a brute force but rather with the intelligently controlled force) cause temporary embouchure collapse for a few days?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult (impossible?) to determine what was the precise cause of the problem.
But ANY new muscle activity that is done TOO MUCH will cause soreness and result in lack of strength and control for those muscles in the following days.

My general advice (which I don't always follow ...) is that when doing new exercises or activities, at the first indications of soreness or beginning of fatigue to STOP. Yes, it is typical to be able to continue with no immediate indications of a problem - but then later that day or the next there will be muscle inflammation, soreness, and fatigue.

Rest and doing EASY 'get the blood flowing' exercises & stretching can help quicken recovery, but they also need to be stopped at the first indication of fatigue.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cichowicz Flow studies, when done according to the instructions, should not have harmed you in any way.
They are not meant to be played loudly and are basically moving long tones to be played from mp to mf.
Your key phrase is "done vigorously". They are not meant to be done that way.
The studies are meant to improve air movement from note to note as they move up. I use them everyday to get air flowing properly and have never felt them do any type of harm to me or anyone I know who does them.
R. Tomasek
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking about the same thing? It's my understanding that what is popularly called Flow Studies are actually his Long Tone Studies and his actual Flow Studies are his next set of exercises. I'm going to assume you really mean Long Tone Studies. http://mrcelwood.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Flow-Study-1-Warm-up-Cichowicz.pdf

To the best of my knowledge (I have all his books and use the exercises) are non-virtuosic and rather gentle exercises. I see no reason why they should cause any problems whatsoever. To me, they are non-demanding, fairly gentle and depend on smooth air flow.

Additionally, I don't recall that they call for repeated repetition.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing them every morning as part of my exercise program. In my opinion, they are certainly not demanding. In fact I find them a gentle way to awaken the chops for the day ahead.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I believe that VC's moving long tones that are commonly referred to as his "flow studies" are meant to be played very simply with a relaxed approach. It sounds to me like your embouchure lacks the strength to play for very long at all without a break. This is no problem, just take breaks! It will gain strength with time.

If I were you, I'd only play VC 1 group A at the beginning of your practice session each day for a week or more before going on to any of the other sets. Then, add VC 1 group B for a week or 2, etc. Enjoy the beauty of your tone on these moving lines and don't play too loudly or too fast. It's possible that these lines are introducing more sustained tone than what your face is accustomed to. Let yourself develop over time.

Best of luck!!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
Dave CCM/SSO
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Again,

I forgot to mention that it might be a good idea to play these sets only 1 time through each practice session. The development will happen over time. Playing them many times in a row seems to be too much for you at your current stage of development.

Best of luck!

Dave

Springfield Symphony Orchestra (OH)
- www.springfieldsym.org
Seven Hills Brass
- http://www.facebook.com/sevenhillsbrass
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The words that go along with the VC warmup:

"I wish I could play high C"

"I still wish that I could play high C."

etc, etc.

DB
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaxoTrump. I'm surprised that you got this outcome from any flow study. It's actually the sort of playing I do either to get ready for a fundamentals workout or something I do to rebalance my playing when I've overdone it. In the latter context, I usually feel and sound good enough by the end of the flow studies that I want to keep playing, even if I felt like I was shredded before I started. I have similar outcomes from Stamp.

The suggestion that you've overdone it seems reasonable to me. I was taught to play them with an easy, clear feel, and I usually start them with a breath attack. But also, I notice that you had to work to keep "good intonation on the descend." If that's not a consistent challenge for you, it sounds like you might have been doing something significantly differently.

Finally, once through them is enough!
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never play more than a few of them at a time. Then go to Clarke 4, 2, or1 slurred. Just buzz some flow studies softly for a couple of days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: