• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thomann TR-6000GL Legend Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjayf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Thomann TR-6000GL Legend Trumpet Reply with quote

Does anyone have an opinion , experience , any information, or inside scoop on this horn?

I wrote to Thomas and they say it is modeled after the "Big fat sounding Jazz trumpets of the 50's and 60's"
I don't really know what that means since most vintage horns I have played are not as "big" sounding as todays

interestingly enough they didn't recommend it and that is was "not that easy to play"

ML bore .4586
5 inch bell
reverse tuning slide

I know Thomas is a reputable dealer and this is a horn that they "stenciled" from Asia but I can't seem to find any information on it.

https://www.thomannmusic.com/thomann_tr_6000gl_legend_trumpet.htm
grune

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have toured the factory where Thomann sources, and sampled the horns. The factory and horns are good. I cannot say if the model you chose is exactly the same as the one I trialled, but I suspect it is. Build quality is high, smooth slides, and valves are quick, easy, smooth. Very good tone using a Bach 3C: I would say tending to bright. Within the staff, the horn plays well and easily. Good overall intonation, with the usual slides needed for high A and low D. I could develop good power without too much strain. For the horn trialled, the upper register had resistance which made high C somewhat more difficult to play than on some other 'pro' horns. Overall high value for the price, and a very good horn for the advancing student.

If the shop said it was difficult to play, maybe they surmised difficult for you? In which case, what is your level?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit about it 'not being easy to play' might be due to the largish bell size and reversed tuning slide - the horn might be very 'free blowing', and many people find that some resistance makes playing easier. It might also be that those items also make the 'slotting' of the horn less precise, which places more responsibility and skill needs on the player to achieve good intonation.

Those are the only 'specs' for the horn that I saw as relevant to it not being 'easy to play'

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't speak to their trumpets, but I just picked up Thomann's FH600 flugel, and I am extremely impressed. Valves to die for, intonation is as good as most flugels (better than the Getzen, Benge or CarolBrass I had), altogether a nice flugel and an absolute steal for value. Thomann also has a great reputation for satisfying their customers via return, warranty, etc.

If you get one, please give feedback!
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
jjayf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!
Everyone, thank you for all the great feedback! I was doubtful I would get feedback from anyone that had played the instrument

grune wrote:

If the shop said it was difficult to play, maybe they surmised difficult for you? In which case, what is your level?

I'm not sure? I didn't tell them my experience or ability, just asked them to compare it to something more well known, the Yamaha 600/6000 series lightly braced reverse slide trumpets since it looks so similar, and they are highly regarded.

I am an "advancing student " intermediate "comeback" player, learned and played a lot with my grandfather when I was pretty young, then played in band from grade school, middle and high school. I played in college, but just as a hobby, in a folky bluesy, pretending I was Miles playing ballads slowly and as straight as I could in college, all stuff I composed, but nothing demanding or technically difficult...

Is there a more well known trumpet you would compare it to ?
I have a number of "cheap" vintage horns, Martin Imperials , Indianas, a few Ambassadors , and was thinking of getting something new , with good known valves, tuning slides I can move easily...Other horns I have been considering have been Yamaha 632, 634, 6320, a used shew model ..but in decent shape, the horn "looked" like some of these trumpets and had a medium bore that's why I was interested

Last edited by jjayf on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:37 pm; edited 6 times in total
jjayf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
The bit about it 'not being easy to play' might be due to the largish bell size and reversed tuning slide - the horn might be very 'free blowing', and many people find that some resistance makes playing easier. It might also be that those items also make the 'slotting' of the horn less precise, which places more responsibility and skill needs on the player to achieve good intonation.

Those are the only 'specs' for the horn that I saw as relevant to it not being 'easy to play'

Jay

I was actually looking to move up from some of the beat up vintage trumpets that I have , into something a little free blowing and flexible and slippery in the slots BUT I'm not a pro player that has wind for days either.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ordered a number and of things from Thomann over the years and their service has always been great - not sure about their retur policy in the US but here they offer a 30 days money back guarantee. I do know of people ordering five horns, keeping the best one and sending the rest back. Would that be possible for you? Much easier to play test the horn than reading specs ...
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
jjayf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brassnose wrote:
I have ordered a number and of things from Thomann over the years and their service has always been great - not sure about their retur policy in the US but here they offer a 30 days money back guarantee. I do know of people ordering five horns, keeping the best one and sending the rest back. Would that be possible for you? Much easier to play test the horn than reading specs ...

great idea!, I thought about it, but I felt a little guilty about ordering a trumpet "just to try" but maybe I shouldn't feel that way, I might look into the return policy for that purpose, Its still less risky then me ordering a 20 year old 632 off of eBay for twice as much.
60's Imperial
Olds Amb., studio, special (love that one)
50's Conn Director 18b coprion bell
40's King Liberty
Holten 22b Cornet
gtownlead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the same question a while ago and got the below reply:

"Our 6000 Series is like the old King/Conn trumpets from the 1950th/1960th.
The trumpet is not lightweight and has a very dark and dirty sound. In the lacquer finish, even darker than in silver plated.
So if you know what I mean with old King trumpets, you can imagine, how the sound is like!"
jjayf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtownlead wrote:
I asked the same question a while ago and got the below reply:

"Our 6000 Series is like the old King/Conn trumpets from the 1950th/1960th.
The trumpet is not lightweight and has a very dark and dirty sound. In the lacquer finish, even darker than in silver plated.
So if you know what I mean with old King trumpets, you can imagine, how the sound is like!"

Thanks for the input, I love king trumpets! my first trumpet was a king and gave me my prejudice, and my old lacquer liberty is still one of my favorites, even with worn valves.

The response I got was a "Big Fat" sound, so now we have "Dark and Dirty" and "Rather bright"..... but I may just have to order one and find out for myself.
If I do I will certainly give a review of my experience limited as my judgment will be as an amateur.
60's Imperial
40's King Liberty
Holten 22b Cornet
gtownlead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for completion sake, I ended up ordering a Thomann TR-4000L.
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the TR-800 for my daughter. Even though it's a large bore with a round tuning slide, she sounds great on it. She uses an old Holton Collegiate mouthpiece. She liked the ornamentation on it. The hexagonal caps, buttons, and spit valves were also appealing to her. All those hexagons and the reverse tuning slide resemble Schilke. I think it plays just fine.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com

Last edited by JetJaguar on Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetJaguar wrote:
Even though it's a bore bell with a round tuning slide, she sounds great on it.

I know what a round tuning slide is. What's a "bore bell" ?
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early morning typo. At first I wrote "large bell", then corrected it to "bore bell". I've now corrected it to "large bore".

But bore bell does sound like something we would talk about on here.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Bach 7C mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece
www.jazzscales.org
The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
jjayf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once again , thanks for all the feedback, seems like a lot of people are having good experience with what Thomann is making.
60's Imperial
40's King Liberty
Holten 22b Cornet
jjayf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JetJaguar wrote:
I got the TR-800 for my daughter. Even though it's a large bore with a round tuning slide, she sounds great on it. She uses an old Holton Collegiate mouthpiece. She liked the ornamentation on it. The hexagonal caps, buttons, and spit valves were also appealing to her. All those hexagons and the reverse tuning slide resemble Schilke. I think it plays just fine.

I took a look at the TR-800 and it does look like a Schilke, from the pictures it looks like that silver plate is like glass! Large bore, silver plate, abalone, reverse tuning slide... seems like its a gorgeous trumpet for what they are asking.

I thought the -6000 looked ALOT like a YTR 632 634 6320 etc but the salespeople deny any resemblance to those horns
60's Imperial
40's King Liberty
Holten 22b Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: