• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How can I "doably" get my yellow brass slides yell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpet_bob_silver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: How can I "doably" get my yellow brass slides yell Reply with quote

I just cleaned my trumpet. The exposed brass on the third and first slide always get tarnished. I may have asked on here before. Instead of yellow, they turn brown. I've got it cleaned now, but I gave up using silver polish on it until my fingers were worn out. That gets old real fast. The yellow just looks nicer. Somehow they get it yellow again when I've had it professionally cleaned. Leaving it tarnished, it still moves smoothly enough.

Is there any workable method for getting those slide pieces yellow again, to take off the tarnish? It only comes back though. I'm not sure it's worth it to use something more than the usual silver polish though. I don't want to damage the horn. It's not worth it.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a polish I've used for years called "Brite Boy" Works amazing on inner slides. I put them on metal or wood rods in the vice then use a strip of rough cloth. Rinse afterwards, clean out the slide in and out. Lube up and go !

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind is that any abrasive will take off metal as you polish. Over time this will mean your slides will become looser.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the slide operates as you want it to, then don't polish it - just wipe with a soft cloth.
To make the slide operate more easily, start with a dish washing scrub pad. If more is needed try a metal polish from an auto parts store.

There are lots of products to REMOVE metal, very few to put it back ...

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish all manufacturers nickel plated the first inch or so of tuning slides like some do. Some even make that first bit smaller outside diameter so that it doesn't rub when moved.

Fortunately brass is easy to polish. Even if you remove a tiny amount of metal through years of polishing, it doesn't matter because only the first inch or so is affected, leaving plenty of unpolished tubing to do the sealing work.

The standard finishing polish for brass is red rouge. Here is some I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000DD35B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Red rough is for finishing work as opposed to metal removal.

Here is an example of a whole horn polished with that product:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-Olds-Special-Large-Bore-Cornet-with-Bach-10-1-2C-mouthpiece-and-case/223863880364

It is surprising to see how hand polishing can bring a small area of tarnished brass to a mirror shine in seconds. Most areas on a horn are nooks and crannies where machine polishing is not possible. But that is OK because machine polishing is really only needed where some metal removal is needed, such as for removing pitting.

The trick to hand polishing is 'strapping'. For those old enough to remember shoe shine boys, it's the same principle. Cut worn out kitchen rags into long strips, a couple of inches wide. Then the strip can be stretched flat on a smooth surface, and rubbed with the stick of rouge. Just like coloring the cloth strip with a crayon. The flip the strip and do the other side. Now the cloth strip has enough red rouge for a surprising amount of polishing.

Here is a picture of strap polishing of a trumpet:
http://www.oberloh.com/gallery/CGConn-19.jpg

Holding the trumpet is a challenge. That guy has a bell mandrel and an overhead support it looks like. So far I have made do holding the work between my knees. Thread the strap across the tubing surface to polish and then run it back and forth 10 to 20 times while held taut and check the progress. You can even thread the strap in 'S' pattern and polished multiple surfaces at the same time.

For free parts like a tuning slide, another method is sometimes useful. Instead of holding both ends of the strap with your hands, anchor one end. I just clamp one end in a bench vise. Now one hand can hold the part and the other hand can hold the remaining strap end. Now the part can be moved back and forth while maintaining tension on the strap.

The strap will become black almost immediately. That is normal. Eventually rub more rouge on it. Hand strapping with red rough works well for raw brass, nickel, and silver.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each his own, but while I absolutely believe in and do keep my horns clean, I just don’t concern myself with much polishing for appearance sake. Clean and functional is what’s important to me.

Brad
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my own horns I care more about build quality and mechanical function (mainly valves) over appearance with one exception, dents. All mine are used classics, mostly from the 50's and 60's. So none are perfect finish wise, whether silver or lacquer. But dent-free old horns are not too unusual.

Selling horns is different matter. I see some bring top dollar even though the engraving has been nearly buffed away. I am still learning about selling. Tonight I sold a student horn (Conn Director), an Olds Special cornet and a King Liberty 1045. The student horn brought the most money of the three. The King was a close second, while the cornet was a distant third. Yea, I know cornets are out of favor, especially with young people.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond16 wrote:
For my own horns I care more about build quality and mechanical function (mainly valves) over appearance with one exception, dents. All mine are used classics, mostly from the 50's and 60's. So none are perfect finish wise, whether silver or lacquer. But dent-free old horns are not too unusual.

Same here; dents are a different issue from finish, plus a dent can absolutely have an affect on how the horn plays or functions, depending on the location and severity, it’s not just cosmetic. Even though I use my horns on weekly gigs, sometimes on crowded stages, I seldom get a dent because I’m careful. I do realize accidents can and do happen though.

Brad
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brasso works wonders from my experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: