• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

long vs short shank cornet mouthpiece

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bspickler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: long vs short shank cornet mouthpiece Reply with quote

I've been experimenting with different cornet mouthpieces and wonder if anyone can explain the difference between the long and short shank pieces. I've settled back on my Mt. Vern 3C which I guess is like a current 1 1/2 C. It's a little more trumpet-like but it seems to be best for me.

Bill
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For contemporary instruments, using Yamaha as a guide, the deep open mouthpieces favored by British brass bands are typically only offered in short shank. The long shank offerings don't include the really deep and open models.
From what I can see, for purposes other than BBB the long shank is likely what you'll need. Cruise MouthpieceExpress.com to see what I mean.

Be aware that vintage horns were offered with a variety of shanks often referred to as long and short shank but these are often not at all the same as the contemporary ones.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because the short is shorter by about 1/4 inch the mouthpiece is sharper that a long shank, if everything else is equal. That is why deep cups have to be short shank. Other wise they would be flat, because a very deep cup is simply flatter than a shallow cup. Likewise shallow cups generally need to be long shank, so you dont have to pull the slide too much.

The transition point is about a 3C depth, which pretty much has to long shank.
A 7C depth can work as a long or short shank. Deeper than a 7C (7C is quite a bit deeper than a 3c as we all know) has to be short shank.

There is a bit more to it of course. The short shank also has a way shorter throat section which brings up the upper register on deep cups. so the octaves are more in tune, or almost perfectly in tune.

the backbores on both are about the same length (using conn 4 as example).

The long shank is longer mainly in the throat section, and with a shallower cup the throat section gets even longer. You need that to keep the upper register Down with a shalloer that 3C cup depth.

If you play a 7C depth or heim depth or similar, then if your upper register (B above the staff) is sharp then go to a longer shank.

If you are sharp up high with a shallow cup even if you are already playing a long shank, you cna go a bit longer and bring down the upper B natural by getting a custom shank that is about .050 longer. That is a real good way to get a conn 80a to pop with a 3c.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is that all my pre-1920 cornets came with short shank. I use a Yamaha 11C3 short shank for all of them actually the old Conns took one midway between the Yamaha short and a normal length. Not what it is supposed to have but the sound is good. And a 11C3 regular is what I use for my newer Cornets.
bspickler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. There doesn''t seem to be a simple answer. So I'm using a Mt Vernon 3C (long) and a Warburton BCB (short) interchangeably.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just bumping this because I recently bought two yamaha mouthpieces and am trying them on a jupiter cornet I have.

One is short shank (16e) and the other long shank (17C4). I've played the trumpet versions of 16b4/17c4 and like them both.

I will say I find the short shank mouthpieces harder to articulate on and also less responsive slurring or moving between intervals.

I am guessing this is just the result of a deeper cup? Do I just need to give it time?

I haven't spent much time on cornet but am enjoying it. I notice some difference in sound (16e deeper/rounder/broader; 17c4 maybe slightly bigger sound) but honestly both sound pretty good to me.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with all the above.

The short shank was developed in England for what developed as their cornet tradition. The tradition included mellower tones, and therefore the mouthpieces historically and contemporaneously have deeper cups. Why the shanks are shorter is lost in time, but like anything else, once a mechanical standard becomes established, it is that way forever.

The long shank was developed in the USA to go with what we now call "long cornets" in concert bands. Conn and King had proprietary variants of shank taper (which I believe were also in-between in length as well) that they used in their instruments, and probably York and Reynolds also, before everybody finally adopted the Bach "standard." Again, following Bach, the cups tended to be shallower and rounded compared to British brass band mouthpieces, for more projection.

Because of the close associations, we hardly hear of V cups in American mouthpieces, although they are there, for example the Bach 5V and the Curry BBC, and antiques such as the King MC and others.

There is nothing magical in the shank. Modern mouthpieces of both types have the same tip diameter and the same taper. The only difference I know of are the Yamaha short mouthpieces which have a smaller tip and so may not fit many other brands of cornet receivers.

I have a 921 Globe Stamp, restored, and I have both a Wick 4B and a GEWA 1 1/2 C (GEWA is a German company which makes good quality but lesser expensive musical items, including copies of famous mouthpieces [like Faxx in the USA] and this mouthpiece is more like a Bach 3C, but with a slightly darker backbore). The Wick is short shank, the GEWA is long shank. Both fit the receiver of my 921 and both go in about the same amount. The only external difference is the GEWA is, of course, longer, so I have to slightly adjust my main tuning slide accordingly. The 4B is, of course, the typical British tone; the GEWA is brighter, more "trumpety." Ironically, the darker backbore of the GEWA keeps the tone tamed, compared to my Bach 3C cornet mouthpiece which sounds blatty.

This is my understanding and experience. YMMV.

Last edited by iiipopes on Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:58 am; edited 3 times in total
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'piece that is deep must be shorter by a quarter.
The shank that is long has the tone that's in tune.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:

When I had a deep V mouthpiece made for my trumpet, the manufacturer advised to get a shorter backbore to compensate for intonation. Given that traditional cornet mouthpieces are often deep V shaped, that may be part of the reason.
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartissimo wrote:
Halflip wrote:

When I had a deep V mouthpiece made for my trumpet, the manufacturer advised to get a shorter backbore to compensate for intonation. Given that traditional cornet mouthpieces are often deep V shaped, that may be part of the reason.

In case you didn't realize it, I was paraphrasing (for fun) the notable couplet from the movie "The Court Jester" starring Danny Kaye:

Link

If you did realize it, my apologies for the gratuitous explanation.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:

In case you didn't realize it, I was paraphrasing (for fun) the notable couplet from the movie "The Court Jester" starring Danny Kaye:

Link

If you did realize it, my apologies for the gratuitous explanation.

Thank you for the insight! Most enlightening!! I have felt this dilemma often during the moments leading up to playing very exposed solos!!!

Life is Short, find the Joy in it!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: