• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Size of the steel ball in a Saturn water key? -SOLVED

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Size of the steel ball in a Saturn water key? -SOLVED Reply with quote

After cleaning mine each time before, I realized that it could be very easy to lose the stainless steel ball when disassembling or assembling a Saturn water key. Well, I just cleaned mine while having to work in not the best-lit room, and I have no idea where the ball just went. I'm sure I'll find it in a few minutes, but if I don't, what is the size of the ball, please? I plan to pick up another as a spare anyway. That info doesn't seem to be online anywhere.

I recall it's about the size of a BB, I think. Mine is for trumpet, of course (there are different sizes).

Oh, and I plan to invest in a larger plastic bag for next time...

Thanks.

Last edited by Riojazz on Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To help you with your search you might try using a magnet.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing just that! Thanks. I hope it's the kind of stainless that does react to a magnet.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I found the ball. It WAS in the plastic bag I used for safety.

FYI, the measurement appears to be 6.11 mm or .240 inches in diameter.

[I edited the post title to say SOLVED.]
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riojazz wrote:
OK, I found the ball. It WAS in the plastic bag I used for safety.

FYI, the measurement appears to be 6.11 mm or .240 inches in diameter.

[I edited the post title to say SOLVED.]

Glad you found it, and thanks for posting the size, which I will log for my own records. I have these on several horns, which I much prefer over Amado water keys that sometimes stick, and I never have to change a spring as on traditional lever water keys…completely maintenance-free! I have a personal policy that whenever I dissemble a Saturn water key, that it is always over a towel or other padded surface that will not allow pieces to bounce out of sight!
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. I'm sure others will someday find this info here when they are stuck like I thought I was.

I had the Saturn installed many years ago on my flugelhorn after being very dissatisfied with the Amado factory equipment. The Saturn is far superior. It has never jammed, empties more spit, and, till now, given no trouble in cleaning it. I have noticed that a layer of green scum can build up and shut it off completely, so cleaning every few months is required. A pipe cleaner is involved, with a Q-Tip and alcohol.

I should also mention that, while I like the Saturn, I absolutely love the Pollard water keys on another horn. Now that's a great design.
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just following up.

I went to my local quite ordinary Ace Hardware and asked if they had stainless steel ball bearings. Yes, they had them. The box contained many diameters, including 1/4".

I spent $0.31 for a spare. Happy ending.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: