• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Schilke 11 Reply with quote

I'm a comeback player and am trying to pick a uniform Bb/C mouthpiece. Back when I played for a living, I had Karl Hammond make a mouthpiece for me that was based on a 13A4a; has the 13 rim size, 4 rim contour, and the cup is slightly deeper than the A but shallower than a B. It worked great for the playing I was doing at the time (TOP, EWF, Chicago type stuff). That was 12 years ago, and I hadn't done any playing since then so I'm on the 'comeback trail' so to speak.

Fast forward to now... Trying to find the metal under the years of rust on my face, and have been playing with a 10B4 since my JG model Hammond is now too big ( ). Since I'm going to try and get back into orchestral playing, the JG is definitely *not* the mpc to use for that.

The 10B4 is maybe just a tad too small in the rim size so I'm looking at 11's. I have a Schilke 11Ax that I used to use on piccolo, and had great success with that. I also like the 4 rim contour, so I figured I'd just pick myself up an 11C4. Yeah... seems that's easier said than done. Does anyone know where I can get one, or do I need to go back to Karl to have one made? I honestly can't afford the $$ to get one made for me these days (especially with 2 teenage boys eating me out of house and home) so I'm trying to find a used one.

Thanks!

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth trying a Yamaha 11C4. It's extraordinarily easy to find.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Schilke11 Reply with quote

Hello John,
I once ordered a Schilke 11Bx because I wanted a liittle more cup than my 11Ax. To the stores surprise, since it was a custom size it was almost twice the cost as they quoted me. So I understand the cost of looking for am 11C4. Since you like the Bach rim, you still might want to consider the 3C. The difference from a 10B4 to a 11C4 might not be enough. Here is another idea...When I worked at the local music store, we always had a box of good, nice, used mp's that would help stock the older rentals. We also kept them around for those who needed to replace a lost mp and could not afford a new one. Check your local store out..They might just have a gem. I am looking for a gently used Schilke 14 myself to compare against my MC3 Symphony...
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christian, I just sent you a PM.
c cup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

The 12 comes in a 12B4. I have had one for years and it can cover a lot of bases. I like it more than the 13 and it is not much different from the 11. Especially if you are just now starting back.

DB
brassmusician
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth noting that all schilke 4 rims are different. If you can get to a store with a drawer of second hand pieces you might find a 10B4 that works for you - they can vary a lot in internal diameter - or a straight 11, which is a very common piece. I wouldn't shy from trying a 11a (without the x bb), I play one and can get a nice legit sound from it, although I suspect it has a larger throat than normal. Another one worth trying is a yamaha 11B4. My strategy would be to try a few of these as cheaply as possible, without springing for brand new, till you settle on something you like. Good luck.
Wick 2BFL
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Schilke 11D4 Reply with quote

I have been trying to sell a Schilke 11B4 gold plated in new condition for a long time on the TH Marketplace. It's priced less than gold plating alone would cost and no interest. Is the Schilke allure going away with all the new mouthpieces around?

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Schilke 11D4 Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
I have been trying to sell a Schilke 11B4 gold plated in new condition for a long time on the TH Marketplace. It's priced less than gold plating alone would cost and no interest. Is the Schilke allure going away with all the new mouthpieces around?

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Any idea how the 11B4 compares to a Bach 2C? Rim size is roughly the same, I believe, at .650, but I think the cup on the 2C has more volume. I got a 2C on eBay and I think it's too 'voluminous' for me at this stage in my attempted comeback.

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 2C is a large mouthpiece.

Schilke 11B4 is about a Bach 7D, significantly smaller.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a chart that shows the Bach specs putting the 2C around the Schilke 11. But that same chart makes clear that the Bach specs don't really compare.

Curiously I'm seeing a that the Kanstul Comparator show the Bach 2C to be nearly equivalent to the Bach 7C except that the outer edge of the 7C falls off faster. That same comparator shows the Schilke 11 as being a good bit smaller in ID and a very different cup shape.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: