• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece repair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3bflat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece repair Reply with quote

I have a gold plated mouthpiece that fell on some concrete and ended up with a burr on the outside of the rim. It does not impact the playability of it but I would like to investigate options for getting the burr polished off and the mouthpiece replated. Any suggestions of people to contact for this type of repair?
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Frost does refinishing work.

www.frostcustombrass.net

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had silver plate touched up while I waited at Reeves. Not sure that's standard practice or that they do gold.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email Charlie Melk with a good close up picture for his evaluation. He just doesn't just buff and refinish a mpc. With over 50 years of metal working and accumulating special tooling, Charlie has skills to move the metal, not just buff the high spots off.

Gary Radtke
www.grmouthpieces.com
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece repair Reply with quote

3bflat wrote:
... with a burr on the outside of the rim. It does not impact the playability of it but I would like to investigate options for getting the burr polished off and the mouthpiece replated. ...

------------------------
If the burr is rough, a quick way to soften it is to use the very smooth hard round shaft of a screwdriver (or similar tool, even the bowl of a small spoon) as a burnisher to RUB (push) the metal back into position. Don't try to file, polish, or sand the metal - just 'massage' it into a more agreeable shape.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
3bflat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece repair Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

If the burr is rough, a quick way to soften it is to use the very smooth hard round shaft of a screwdriver (or similar tool, even the bowl of a small spoon) as a burnisher to RUB (push) the metal back into position. Don't try to file, polish, or sand the metal - just 'massage' it into a more agreeable shape.

Jay

Jay, excellent suggestion. I will give that a try. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: