• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Post 7K

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Post 7K Reply with quote

I don't get around here very much, have a lot going on these days. Work, life, wife, kids (although you would think, once they all pass the 30 mark, would be less maintenance, not so in my reality).

Have to give a shout out, to TH. Back almost 2 decades ago, came here because a friend asked me to help him find an affordable trumpet for his son, and as an old bar buddy, knew once upon a time I played cornet. So I got online, and started doing some research. TH was a valuable resource, ended up buying said friend a used Yamaha trumpet for around 40 bucks, and later bought myself a Besson Emperor trumpet I had been following at the same time, for about the same money.

I discovered, there were a ton of great valued cornets and trumpets on ebay, for a more than reasonable price. So then I bought about 120 of them, as well as french horns, baritones, euphoniums, sousaphones, tenor saxes, C melody saxes (hands down the greatest value for an excellent condition well made instrument nobody wants) and a host of others, including several small bore Conn trombones, suspect I have the market cornered on ballroom trombones that only need 600 dollars of work, to be worth 500 bucks.

Happy to say, the collection is below 40 these days, sad to say most were given away or donated, have the distinction of having 8 instruments in museums that while got me a tax exemption, never came close to recouping what I spent. Worth it, if it preserves history and it does.

About 8 years ago, I decided to quit buying them, and actually try to play them. What I discovered was, while I was decent on trumpet, cornet, and flugel (FWIW, bought one flugel, a Yamaha 2310S, and is the only one I have ever owned and played) totally sucked on trombone, euphonium, and sousaphone, so I sold them all.

For 6 years, have play a lot in a cover band, minimum gig is 3 hours, and a few go 4 hours.

Without the knowledge I gained from TH, never would've happened. To Pops, Mr. Hollywood, Tom Turner, Jon, and a host of others that offered solid, real world advice, would've never figured it out on my own.

I owe you guys, you made my life better, and I thank all of the TH community for their contributions.

Listen to me, sound like I just won a Grammy or something, not even close. What I did do, was elevate my playing ability to make it through a 4 hour gig, playing rock and funk covers. Some of you would rather take a bullet to the head, than play my book, but I love, love, love, every second of it.

I'm a 60's kid, and all this is dead in my wheelhouse. I get a little wood every time we play 'Vehicle', and can stumble through the solo on 'Spinning Wheel', who knows, someday I can do it up an octave just like Lew.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm right there with you (well, not numerically, but in thought.) Incredibly valuable, funny place we have here and I also treasure it.

You have been a valuable contributor to the community, thank you.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus 1...at least 1!

I happened upon this forum about 13 years ago, and once I figured out how things work here, I have to say I’ve learned a lot. I’ve been playing since 1964, have a music Ed degree, taught and still teach lessons and have played MANY MANY weekend gigs, but there’s real value to a place like TH. We are able here to get perspectives from such a wide range of players and localities, and even though we have to learn to filter through some of the information here, this is a great place to learn.

Brad
JGulyas
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah... you guys are lame... I've been here longer than all of you!

I remember a milestone for me was hitting 500 posts and getting the 'Heavyweight' tag. It wasn't too long after that my face blew up and I put the horn away for 12 or so years.

John

US Navy Bandsman 1996-2010 (Trumpet; Audio Engineer)
Mpc - Kanstul/Monette B6, Hammond Design custom "JG"
Bb - Yamaha 6335HGSII
C - Eastman ETR530
Picc - NoName Chinese
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: