• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Blue Monk

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Blue Monk Reply with quote

Here is a question that I posted on this site: https://www.jazzguitarlessons.net/blog/blue-monk?success=true

Marc-André thank you for your analysis of this tune. You have posted the melody that I learned from the Real Book I think that it is written the same in fake book called "Spaces" but Monk himself plays a low F# not a low F in the melody. Monk's sax players always ghost that particular note. I haven't found a recording of Monk doing the tune with a trumpet player yet. The F# sounds fine when Monk plays it but when I play it on the trumpet it sounds bad to my ear. It seems to me that the F# fits the voicing on the piano but the way that it is separated when played on a monophonic instrument sounds terrible to me. There is a big band arrangement on YouTube where the F# is in the arrangement but it is either ghosted or left out and when the note is actually played it is played as an F not an F#. Do you or anyone else know any more of the history of this note?

Here is the arrangement on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO8T2iELYDw
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have said to the trumpetherald community.

Does anyone here have a view on this? Which note do you use when playing Blue Monk?
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heim wrote:

Does anyone here have a view on this? Which note do you use when playing Blue Monk?
I always played a concert F
Heim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaw04 wrote:
Heim wrote:

I always played a concert F

Thanks for your input!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: